modding interface? shoot at unit? conditioned vs unconditioned

I'd like to know if certain element of the interface (vehicle clock icon, mini compass) can be modded. I also recall that some vehicles show the engine block as yellow on that vehicle clock. why so?

as to the 3D interface, there seems to be no description of how to use the (Shoot at unit..) command. Do I need to identify a target with holding down Lshift+RMB so it pops on the map?

The * is red when Shift is keyed but sometimes turns green. Why so? 

lastly, afaiu, the routes are embarked on if they are conditioned. meaning embark if or retreat if conditions are specified? if they are not specified, the route taken is dictated by the three tactics (implicit tactics) mentioned in the book? 

can you order a unit to point the turret to a specific direction while traveling on a conditioned route? in the planning phase? 

veilen danke

• Members
  1. No
  2. This was probably from an in-game GUI element to indicate open hatches, e.g. the CV90's VIS, or some remote weapon stations
  3. It certainly helps is a unit is identified; at the end of the day the relevant question is however if you managed to click on a part of the enemy unit that was not blocked by vegetation or anything, so that it's "clear to the computer" what you mean
  4. Green? Yellow. But maybe it appears greenish to you. Basically there's a grace period where you can still let go of the designation key where it won't be interpreted as a move command. After a second or so the icon switches from yellow to red to indicate that it's "for real" now.
  5. Yes, them are the embarkation rules. Routes without conditions will be evaluated by implicit embark conditions least (after all other routes were tested negative). If there are multiple non-conditioned routes, only the last one entered will be considered. Of course, this is usually impossible to memorize and very hard if not impossible to document, so you should never rely in your scenario design on this mechanism.
  6. No. There's an implicit preference by choosing the formation, in theory. In practice, that behavior is broken.

ok. How can I make a non existing unit that spawns inside a specific region embark on route? for example an airdropped BRDM that will supposedly land inside region A. region A has a route starting waypoint. the route is scout tactics. the unit spawns in the execution phase and it does not move. 

2 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

ok. How can I make a non existing unit that spawns inside a specific region embark on route? for example an airdropped BRDM that will supposedly land inside region A. region A has a route starting waypoint. the route is scout tactics. the unit spawns in the execution phase and it does not move. 

Well it does "exist" it just not visible outside the Mission Editor.

In the Mission Editor it will a "shadowy" icon which you can still give routes to (conditional or otherwise). Once the condition required for the unit to spawn is satisfied, it will "appear" and follow the route you gave it.

Edited by Gibsonm

3 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Well it does "exist" it just not visible outside the Mission Editor.

In the Mission Editor it will a "shadowy" icon which you can still give routes to (conditional or otherwise). Once the condition required for the unit to spawn is satisfied, it will "appear" and follow the route you gave it.

I know but what about the execution phase. Let me check maybe something is off with my mission.

4 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

I know but what about the execution phase. Let me check maybe something is off with my mission.

Well, as I said, in the execution phase, the unit will appear (if the conditions you set are satisfied) and then it will go along the route.

If it doesn't appear then your "spawn if ... " condition is broken.

If it appears but doesn't embark on the route then your error is there.

Edited by Gibsonm