Schiffe versenken

Skybird03

I am wondering, since I planlessly played around with the editor, and found myself with a couple of BMP-2 and ASLAV racing to the beach, and then crossing a 3 km-wide waterway to the beach on the other side.

Would any commander seriously take such a manouver ever into consideration, and is the amphibious capability of the vehicles such that they they could do such a trip (lasted 35 minutes, moving at 5 km/h), more or less like mini-battleships on open sea, instead of just crossing a river?

Er, well BMPs and ASLAVs aren't known for their sea faring capabilities.

Anything more than a gentle breeze and things get...interesting.

They are primarily designed for crossing rivers which would confuddle an MBT

But then you have bridging units for those

Ampihb assaults are mainly handled by AMTRACs etc.

but then i'm not a Marine.....

I doubt that anyone would do so. The traction is not strong enought to parry sea currents, winds or waves. And the speed is as you described around 5-7km/h. Is will take time, you have little chance to end up where you want to go, and waves more then 20cm would reach the airintake.

That is the BMP.

That´s Oberleutnant von Jaworski, 3rd Panzerregiment, 2nd Panzerdivision, who is credited to have shot up a ship(some sources say a destroyer) at Boulogne, May 23, 1940 with his PzIV. Look here for more: http://members.aol.com/ladung/destroy.htm

It was either the destroyer VIMY or VENETIA, who were both reportedly hit during their operations near the harbor of Boulogne.

Ok. for me it doesn't work at all though

That's probably because the beach is too steep. They refuse to enter. At the end of the trip I decribed I also learned that the tanks would not move out of the water, although I had checked and hand-select the beach in the editor very carefully. That tanks can get stuck and drown in water holes not bigger than for example 2x2 m and not deeper than 1 or 1.5 meter also has something to do with it. This issue is definitely a worthy contribution to the to-do-list. Even if BMPs and ASLAV swim - SBP and the AI nevertheless HATE water.

That´s Oberleutnant von Jaworski, 3rd Panzerregiment, 2nd Panzerdivision, who is credited to have shot up a ship(some sources say a destroyer) at Boulogne, May 23, 1940 with his PzIV. Look here for more: http://members.aol.com/ladung/destroy.htm

It was either the destroyer VIMY or VENETIA, who were both reportedly hit during their operations near the harbor of Boulogne.

OK then it wasnt Wittman, a friend of mine told me that wittman sunk a ship at kursk( what?)

and got awarded for it, and I cant a shit against it)(like where there hell shold a sub be around kursk?)

/KT

I read Warhborg's report as being about movement of amphibious vehicles in open water.

I have observed vehicles stationary in open water not being able to move when their speed is set to slow. (often, as the platoon wing-men occasionally shift position relative to the lead vehicle they can actually move off independantly, but then get stranded waiting for the lead vehicle to catch them up)

With speed set to fast or top I don't observe this same behaviour (in mission editor/test at least) and manual driving also works to get the vehicle started. Once moving the vehicles will continue even at slow speed.

This is a seperate problem from climbing slopes which can prevent egress of amphibians from the water once they reach the shore.

OK then it wasnt Wittman, a friend of mine told me that wittman sunk a ship at kursk( what?)

and got awarded for it, and I cant a shit against it)(like where there hell shold a sub be around kursk?)

/KT

Wittman did take a pot shot at a boat and a sub on some river in Russia somewhere, it was during his StuG days.

Don't know the details cos i can't remember much about it.

I've tried doing scenarios with swimming APCs but it never worked out - you need the most gently sloped beach possible for the vehicles to get out, or they'll get stuck. I found that with AI in control of a water crossing, you'll lose about 50% of the vehicles being stuck on the exit beach. I gave up on those types of moves unless I could personally go through all the vehicles and drive them out properly (tedious!).

I';m working on an MP mission where Blue will be required to land ASLAVs and secure a beachhead. so you guys can get lots of practice trying to pull the effers out of the water. I even found a nice beach for you all ;)

But, what I notice is that even though I have nice beaches that are very gradual grades from the water's edge, as soon as the water starts, there is about a 45 degree plunge of the ocean bottom into the water. It's pretty unrealistic to have such a consistent drop off especially with a nice lowly graded beach to egress the water on. I guess it's a little late in the game to correct the way water causes this.

• Members

The reason is a cosmetic one. At shallow angles there is a nasty flicker/twinkle effect due to the limited resolution/accuracy of the Z buffer. A decision had to be made between better looks and increased obstacle values of rivers and lakes (shore beaches weren't exactly envisioned) - or the opposite.

Usually rivers and lakes have a significant obstacle value, so it seemed to be a no-brainer.