Kanium Sunday - Strife in Verona

1113195266_Aplaybyanyothername.thumb.jpg.70e544c89030fd016e2e3c4ca3717af7.jpg

KANIUM SUNDAY 9th of June 1800 GMT - Strife in Verona by Nike-Ajax (thanks to SNS for orders input)

Where: Kanium TS : teamspeak3.i3d.net:10077 
World Clock 1800 GMT (Same time as always - now adjusted for European Summer Time: click the time below for your local time) 

World clock 1800 GMT

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This SB session may be recorded with video and sound and uploaded, including to a public youtube channel. 

Everybody is Welcome: you don't have to belong to Kanium. We love playing with you all, the arranger and CO loves you even more if you sign up in advance :D 

map.thumb.png.ace4bceade6f82aa3c4c3f12ee254518.png

Operation Strife in Verona
27´th  of July 2020 
SB Mission by Nike-Ajax 

0. Background

Two Countries, both alike in dignity, In between fair Verona, where we conduct our operation,  have held ancient grudges which have now broken out into actual war.
A civil war have been brewing, caused by the aspirations and ambitions of the two foes: the Country of Capulet and the Country of Montague. 

These tensions that were held back by the international community, have strangely been let loose by a love affair between a pair of star-cross'd lovers. Specifically between the daughter of the Prime Minister of Capulet, Julie and the son of the President of Montague, Romeo. Allthough seemingly harmless, their affair have put the strife and disagreements around the area of Verona which both countries wants to be a part of their country, to the fore. Not only is Verona of strategic and symbolic value, but a new major pipeline is planned to be build through it which will bring wealth and power to whomever controls it.

It is said by some that only the young lovers deaths can bury their parents and countries strife. Allthough their story could probably be made into a movie or possibly a play, then it is not just the rage and indignation of their parents and respective parliaments that have led us to the operation which will unfold today.

So it would seem that even though its a tragedy for the young lovers, then the greater tragedy is that the two countries will be at war in hours.
The international community have tried with talks and threats, but to no avail as UN proves to be not a match for the job once more.

We as the part of the armed forces of Capulet, are tasked with taking control of the area of Verona once and for all, suffering the guns and artillery of outrageous fortune. But by opposing, ending it.

I. Situation 

Time: 
0700 Local Time 

Weather: 
Ligthly clouded with no chance of rain, 25 degrees Centigrade and LOS 4400 Meters

General
War have been declared and both sides have claimed Casus Belli. Our strategic objective is to SECURE and OCCUPY the area of Verona, thus denying it to the foul Montagues.  
The Montagues have thrust a limited distance into Verona territory, then taken up HASTY DEFENSE likely having lost momentum and initiative. It is likely they are expecting a COUNTER ATTACK. 

Terrain: 
Dangerous mixture of closed and open, with channeling and blocking terrain features particularly to the north with a combination of a small river and extensive marsh and swamps. Friendly Air have DESTROYED all the bridges to the East from where the Montagues attacked, thus - at least temporarily - they will be forced to reinforce by taking a detour and coming into their DEFENSIVE AREAS from the South. 

Obstacles:  
Verona population has put a strong belt of minefields (Reference Maptrace) to their South-west, to discourage the exact situation that is happening now. This minefield has now been reinforced by the Montagues. THIS AREA IS PROHIBITED to all our forces on pain of DEATH. 

To be or not to be in control of the city of Verona (OBJ VERONA - Reference Maptrace), is the question, as the ones who control the city will also control the area of Verona.  

Current Situation.  
Sadly the treacherous people of Montague moved first, and struck like a dagger in the night. This means that they have occupied the better positions with superior numbers, however they have not had time to entrench. Our Taskforce (TF) STRIKESPEAR, as part of the primary Capulet Army Battlegroup, have been tasked with this mission. You will be outnumbered but not outfought - remember:

A man can die but once and Nothing will come from nothing. 

We are on Verona soil, and must thus expect a fair number of civilians in the AO - and the international community is watching. But the political and military stakes are high. Therefore, you are tasked to avoid civilian casualties to the degree that it does not endanger your command or overall goals. 

FIRES in the Urban areas are only authorised by TF COMD. 

So Cry “havoc!” and let slip the dogs of war 

Enemy Forces

Strength: 
ENY Combined Bn(+). 

Equipment: 
At least three (3) full combined and reinforced Companies with M60A3 (in PLTs of 5), Marder 1A3 (in PLTs of 3), M113G3 TOWs and with additional support and recon troops (From INTEL likely VEC-M1). Likely also screening forces around OBJ VERONA as well as the possible presence of ENY ATGM, which can include TOW launchers, confidence about last LOW to MEDIUM. 

Quality: 
Likely experienced conscripts and their ammunition the best they can get for their older platforms. 

MDA: 
ENY only in HASTY DEFENSE in Main Defensive Areas (MDA), no constructed defences, entrenchments and major obstacles identified or likely  - aside from the known minefields in the South of your AO (Reference Maptrace), confidence about which is HIGH.    
Reinforcement: NOT expected from the East nor South as their lines of communication are cut for now. Confidence HIGH. 

ENY CoA: 
Likely will not continue their attack, but rather try to lure our forces into an attritional fight where their numerical advantage, and use of terrain, will make up for their weakness in equipment.  ENY have access to Artillery in substantial numbers, exact units deployed for this operation unknown. 

Friendly Forces (FF). 

Local AIR SUPERIORITY achieved. 

Flanks.  
FF North and South to SECURE Flanks, but not to Spt Attack.  

TF Strikespear:  
TF consists of 3 x tank platoons of STRV122 as well as 2 x mechanized infantry platoon of CV90/40-B, along with a tactical reserve of 1 PLT of STRV122 and a 1 PLT of CV90/40-B. 

B Coy Dismounted infantry equipped with 2 x Anti-Tank teams (SPIKE MR) (Odds callsigns) and 2 x LMG Teams (Even callsigns). Each MECHINF platoon in B COY thus has 2x Anti-Tank teams and 2 x LMG Teams, the rest being issued with AT-4s and rifle grenades plus a medic team, and are all considered Elite.   

FIRES;  
4 x 6 Tubes of 155mm SP howitzers, no FASCAM available,  
One (1) MLRS mission of HE Rockets,   
2 x 6 x 120 mm SP mortars with their own supply trucks (with the howitzers being further back, so off-map,  
8 CAS strike missions on call. 

(As usual: ALL ARTILLERY IS UNDER THE CONTROL OF CO AND FO: so do not touch the ARTY controls if you not one of these two). 

LOGISTICS: 
Repair Sect, 2 x Supply and 1 x MED Sect. 

NO Engr, as there are expected no major obstacles in vector of attack.  So BYPASS ENY obstacles.

Rules of Engagement. NOTHING IN THESE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT LIMITS YOUR RIGHT TO TAKE APPROPIATE ACTION TO DEFEND YOURSELF AND YOUR UNIT.

A. You have the right to use force to proactively engage any and all ENY targets of opportunity.
B. You are cleared to fire first on all hostile targets or targets with deemed hostile intent, including armed civilians.
C. The force should be used under the circumstances and proportional to the threat.
D. We are at war. Destruction of civilian property has been cleared by the local authorities if CO deems that there is a CLEAR military value and goal in said destruction, including FIRES in urban areas.
E. All Laws of War are to be observed. 

II. Mission:  

TF Strikespear is to DESTROY ENY between PL GLOBE and PL THEATER, SEIZE OBJ VERONA & HOLD OBJ until relieved, IOT DENY the area of Verona to the foul Montagues.   

III. Execution  

Concept of the Operation:
Taskforce Strikespear with 2 PLTs TAC RESERVE, ATTACK from NORTHWEST to SOUTHEAST; conducting an attack by fire from PL GLOBE towards PL THEATER, and then ASSAULT to SEIZE OBJ VERONA.  Once SECURE, PREPARE HASTY Defence to HOLD Objective until relieved.This will DENY the area to the ENY and PREVENT further ENY offensive operations, achieving our immediate political goal. 

Commanders Intent  

Purpose - The purpose of this operation is to DESTROY the ENY forces in Verona, then OCCUPY, thus weakening the Montagues will to fight and persuading them not to conduct further offensive actions.   

Key Tasks 
         1. Attack from PL GLOBE towards PL THEATER to DESTROY the ENY. 
         2. Seize OBJ VERONA. 
         3. Conduct HASTY DEFENSE ITO DEFEAT ENY Counter Attacks 

End State:  

Friendly.  FF postured in or IVO OBJ VERONA; consolidated and prepared and able to continue operations towards the SOUTH. 
Enemy.   ENY DESTROYED between PL THEATER and PL GLOBE, unable to support Enemy forces EAST of the river. 
Terrain.   All tactically commanding terrain features SECURED and CLEAR of ENY. 
Civilian.  As little disruption to civilian life and property as possible, without disrupting your military goals and the security of your command.   

Fires Concept. 
1 (one) MLRS strike and 4 x 6 Tubes of self-propelled 155 mm howitzers that will directly support this operations, from outside of the AO (offmap) and 2 x Six (6) 120 mm self-propelled Mortars for use in AO, with integral ammo supply trucks. There are 8 priority missions ready for tasking.

2 x 6 x Tubes of 120mm organic fires under TF CO control (P1 and P2), with organic supply vehicles (P31 and P34). 
4 x 6 x Tubes of 155 mm off-map fires under TF CO control. 
1 x MLRS strike (HE Rockets) under TF CO control. (used proxy P4 BM-21) 
8 CAS sorties were awarded during this targeting cycle of the ATO under TF CO control. 

Aviation
Nil 

IV. Sustainment
Supply              TF will carry forward 2 x resupply vehicles, P-1and P-2 have 2 x supply vehicle allocated to them specifically (P31 and P34). No resupply possible beyond that .
Maintenance   TF will carry forward 1x combat repair team (CRT)
Medical            TF will carry forward 1x foward aid station (FAS) 

V. Command And Signal

Succession of Command
Hotel-66    TF Commander
Hotel-65    TF XO
Alpha-11    1 PLT LDR/A
Alpha-21    2 PLT LDR/A
Bravo-11    1 PLT LDR/B

Signals
No Change; as per unit SOP

Edited by Nike-Ajax

MANNING:

TF STRIKESPEAR Command 

H66 (STRV122): Assassin (Kanium,US)

H65 (CV90/40-B): Gibsonm (BGANZAC,AU)

P65 (FOV90):

A1 (STRV122)

A11 Colebrook (Kanium,ESP)

A12 

A13 

A14 Hedgehog (Kanium,UK) 

A2 (STRV122)

A21 

A22 

A23 Connaugh (Kanium,US)

A24 Roerbaek (Kanium,DK)

A3 (STRV122) - (MANNED BY UNITED OPERATIONS)

A31 

A32 

A33 

A34 

B1 (CV90/40-B)

B11 Chrisreb (Kanium,UK)

B12 

B13 

B14 Hoggydog (UKarmour,UK)

B2 (CV90/40-B)

B21 Dboy (Kanium,UK)

B22 MAC84 (BGANZAC,AU)

B23 SnS (Kanium,UK)

B24 

A4 and B3 (STRV122 and CV90/40-B):  (Tactical Reserve) - Will NOT be manned initially unless we fill up the other callsigns

A4 (STRV122)

A41 

A42 

A43 

A44  

B3 (CV90/40-B)

B31

B32

B33

B34

P1 and P2 - 2 x 6 x SP MTR with own supply vehicle (P31 and P34)

H1 - CSS: Medic, ARV and SUPPLY x 2

OPFOR:

Nike-Ajax (Kanium,DK)

No more needed

Where needed:

Cant make it:

Major Duck (Kanium,DK)

Kingtiger (Kanium,SE)

Mirzayev (Kanium,US)

Hosting:

Nike-Ajax

(6/7)

To reiterate: We ALWAYS have room for new guys, both with the game and with MP, so dont be shy.

Edited by Nike-Ajax

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

I can make this one.

Also I think you have messed up your Shakespeare (Cry “havoc!” and let slip the dogs of war is from Julius Caesar). :)

I know … 😁

But I made a Potpourri .. a readers digest version of the entire Shakespeare portfolio if you like. 

So to forestall wasted time etc: Which position would you like?

2 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I guess H65 (to minimise the comms concerns) if H66 will have me.

Please tell me you fixed the Ambulance issue?

Well… IMHO then if thats the extent of our issues then we dont have a lot.

And it is sorted

SO … 

Mirzayev have sadly been unavoidably detained, due to real life issues, which we naturally respect fully.

This means that we are now out of a CO for a complex and challenging mission, where our manning is light as is.

I see three options:

One: We progress with what we have and try to elevate someone else to CO.

Advantages: We act as planned, and people get the scenario they signed up for.

Problem: No plan, last minute CO and the scenario is still challenging with the numbers we have, particularly with regards to Mechinf.

Two: In light of the given parameters, then we transition to a smaller and easier manned and executable Scenario - I will try to dig out one.  

Advantages: Be reducing and reconfiguring we will have a scenario that is actually better fit for our manning and whomever chooses to be the last-minute CO will have a better or fighting chance of executing his plan. And we can execute this scenario at a later date for instance next week. Where we probably can have more MECHINF people

Problem: People will not get the scenario they signed up for, last minute changes always holds risks of problems and we still need to find a CO.

Three: A version Light: so we convert tonight into an ADHOC session, where we will agree on TS tonight which one we will roll with.

Advantages: Per Option Two, plus people will have a chance to pick one they like or would like to try

Problem: Per Option Two, but we also need to allocate at least 15 minutes to find a scenario

Then of course there is the option of cancelling all together, but I dont think that is a good or necessary move.

From an overall perspective, then given our options, then personally I am leaning towards option number 3 and postponing this scenario until next week.

Edited by Nike-Ajax

I understand the RL limitations.

Please tell me soon (preferably within 30min of my posting this) if you are opting for option 3 as its 2230 here now and I'd like to know soon if I'm still getting up at 0330 or not.

Also if you scrub tomorrow, then my RL limitations means I'll be unable to participate again until early October so you'll need to find a new XO for the next iteration.

Edited by Gibsonm

25 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I understand the RL limitations.

Please tell me soon (preferably within 30min of my posting this) if you are opting for option 3 as its 2230 here know and I'd like to know soon if I'm still getting up at 0330 or not.

Also if you scrub tomorrow, then my RL limitations means I'll be unable to participate again until early October so you'll need to find a new XO for the next iteration.

All points are valid 

I would have liked some more input from others and more options, but these are the cards we have been dealt so the reality I have to relate to. 

So we will go with Option 3: an ADHOC solution, and postpone this scenario to next Sunday so 16´th of June