Lights and Illumination?

cata

• 1 month later...

oh.. I was thinking about this right now. A shame.. it would be amazing to see some trucks with lights or civil trafic.. or just the tanks in some situations. Hope it can be added in future. If not possible because dx9, in dx12-12 or whatever.

4 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

oh.. I was thinking about this right now. A shame.. it would be amazing to see some trucks with lights or civil trafic.. or just the tanks in some situations. Hope it can be added in future. If not possible because dx9, in dx12-12 or whatever.

I think its more the whole rather of "so what" issues that night fighting brings.

I suppose it don't have to be easy with the engine. When I was working for Laminar they had dx10 I think.. and they made lots of 3D illumination without any cost to the cpu. All GPU based. Well.. you were succeed with terrain definition. Maybe in future you can achieve this one also. :)

Just now, Japo32 said:

I suppose it don't have to be easy with the engine. When I was working for Laminar they had dx10 I think.. and they made lots of 3D illumination without any cost to the cpu. All GPU based. Well.. you were succeed with terrain definition. Maybe in future you can achieve this one also. :)

As I said whilst the engine is one thing, its also all the tactical implications and other things you need modelled.

Searchlights

Trip flares

II

flares

star shells

tracer

the various degrees of moon

Its a massive list - far beyond headlights on a car. ;)

• Members

Plus, in an active war zone you just don't keep your lights on. Whether it's light in your home, street lamps, and most certainly not military vehicles. Driving around in a car at night while people shoot? You're either a Drawing Award volunteer, or very, very desperate.

It's something entirely different in a civilian aviation simulation, and yes, there would be lights  ...  on the first evening of a war that starts after sunset. But people will adapt very quickly. It's one of the things where Hollywood is very misleading, but of course there's little point in making things so dark in a film that the audience doesn't see a thing. So there's practically never "real night" in Hollywood. And I'm not just referring to "American Night" with a blue filter on the camera like they did up to the 1980s ... which is about the equivalent of a theater stage where two actors are "whispering" into the audience and the third guy "can't hear them". Each medium has its own limitations.

Dynamic light look quite spectacular, but the ones that everybody thinks of wouldn't be there, and the ones that most forget about are the ones with dramatic tactical relevance which should also be utilized/exploited by computer-controlled units. This is what makes this a pareticular challenge.

I'd love to do it, but given all the other tasks on the list I can't give it a high priority.