Logic for platoon scanning (turret orientation) en-route

wildbillkelsoe

So I am trying to understand the logic behind how a platoon of tanks (three) traveling on a route will point their turrets differently. What are the primary considerations when say lead tank points its turret left and the second points its turret right? And can this be adjusted for AI units while en-route? I'd like to have lead pointing right not left. 

I tried setting waypoints on road with hold tactics and then running a new route on top of them but the tanks continue as if there are no waypoint tactics assigned to that route (even though the route is on top of said tactics but rather not attached).

Umm...   Waypoints are just what name suggest. Points on the way, where unit may stop for battleposition (if assigned) or report reaching while on the way. If you are looking to have turrets scanning different directions while moving on a ROUTE, you have to adjust "Set Formation" settings on a route by clicking actual route between way-points

Generally Lead vehicle will always be scanning towards where platoon is going to and it cannot be changed unless having players in a vehicle to do othervise (or as commander constantly telling gunner to scan certain direction that wont last long before it focuses back to tank front sector.

Other vehicles of platoon are scanning either to sides or front depending of formation. 

If you want your units to focus on certain direction when moving, easiest way to do so would be to use either Echelon left or right... or Line (Front) when near that area. All other formations seem to split scanning directions to... both sides and front.  Some more to sides (Colum) some more to front.  (wedge and Vee)

Edited by Lumituisku

Here you can see the formations and the scanning sector for each tank http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php/Formations

1 hour ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

I tried setting waypoints on road with hold tactics and then running a new route on top of them but the tanks continue as if there are no waypoint tactics assigned to that route (even though the route is on top of said tactics but rather not attached).

on top?, you should have the route and the way-point  tactic as one thing,no one it top of the other.

4 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

Waypoint is an origin or  an ending point of the route; so if you are  plotting new route just  over a waypoint(a top of it),  this  waypoint will be ignored, since it is not a part of  the that route.

I know its supposed to be part of the route but a tank that stops just to face a direction while traveling is wasting time and blocking other tanks. I guess it could be added to the wish list if its feasible and realistic? or option to say select an element and order them to point turret left or right wrt hull on a route.

The formations tackled part of it but is it realistic for a platoon commander to order his section to point all turrets in the formation to a specified direction?