Microprose is back and may use TitanIM/Outerra engine

Galileo

For those who didn't follow the game industry news, there was a big announcement this week : Microprose is back on the market

https://www.microprose.com/

The CEO of Mircroprose is David Lagettie , he is also the boss of TitanIM who develop Titan Vanguard http://titanim.net/www/ so if he use his software engine to develop games, they could look like:

Edited by Galileo

OK hang on a second...Exactly WHAT is going on here?

Microprose is back...Great...Why didn't "F-14 Fleet Defender" get a mention?  That was one of their best flight sims IIRC.

I checked out the iEntertainment Network thing...  The WW2 flight simulator they show reminds me of the late 1990s or early 2000's in terms of graphics.  It feels like I'm watching videos from Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator or the original IL-2 Sturmovik.  The tank simulator reminds me of Panzer Elite, except that I think Panzer Elite had better graphics and more realism thanks to mods like Ostpak and other updates...

Are these guys seriously trying to take old titles and re-release them for modern operating systems and turn a profit from that!?

@Maj.Hans

I think those vids your seeing are from a Android version.  They wanna hit all flanks!

I don´t think they want to revive old hits, but revive a great company, which would be awesome.  But I would not mind a remasterd Task Force 1942!  If they can better any of there old titles Iam good with that too if the price is right.  Will see...

2 minutes ago, Red2112 said:

I don´t think they want to revive old hits, but revive a great company, which would be awesome.  But I would not mind a remasterd Task Force 1942!  If they can better any of there old titles Iam good with that too if the price is right.  Will see...

You know, I'm not going to lie here.

Maybe I'm suffering from a really bad case of nostalgia, or maybe I just find my attention being pulled too many different directions these days, but I've been playing "retro" games about as much or more than modern ones lately.  Rather than firing up Steel Beasts or DCS world, I'll fire up Falcon Gold or Fleet Defender (DOS flight sims from the 90s) with the difficulty turned down a little bit.  There's a lot of "Quick, let me get in here and play for 20 minutes, then I better go do this thing I *need* to do" and a lot less "I *want* to spend 3 hours to learn how to play a simulator that's realistic to the switch, *and* I have the time to do it!" these days

Quite frequently I find myself wishing that, when old games were clearly done and over with, the company or team that made it would just dump the source code, resources, dev tools, etc out there on the net and leave it there for anyone interested to build upon their work.  I wish that games like Falcon 3.0, Aces of the Deep, Task Force 1942, Fleet Defender, etc, would have perhaps gotten the same kind of treatment that Panzer Elite and Falcon 4.0 did.

this all looks speculative to me, i don't get the impression that microsprose is doing anything at all. i don't see games in development, when you navigate the site there's almost nothing there except a few media clips about microprose's legacy and a link to go somewhere else to a buy a few legacy games. they certainly don't look to be hiring, there's no information like that. all there is the implication that someone may adapt a game engine not currently available for the consumer market, and that is not even a statement from microprose

3 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

Quite frequently I find myself wishing that, when old games were clearly done and over with, the company or team that made it would just dump the source code, resources, dev tools, etc out there on the net and leave it there for anyone interested to build upon their work.  I wish that games like Falcon 3.0, Aces of the Deep, Task Force 1942, Fleet Defender, etc, would have perhaps gotten the same kind of treatment that Panzer Elite and Falcon 4.0 did.

Yes I would love to see that too! Dont forget all the Janes stuff, a proper Longbow 2, F/A-18 and F-15 would be great!  Or Avalon Hill´s 5th Fleet, and so many others.

Maybe thess guys are just throwing distress calls to see what happens.  Can´t tell now days...

Edited by Red2112

12 hours ago, Maj.Hans said:

OK hang on a second...Exactly WHAT is going on here?

i think you can intuitively sense that something seems off. if something doesn't seem to quite gel, i think that is your instinct telling you on some level that something seems off- much in the same way you get a funny vibe about another person or a situation or whatever.

if you go to that video of wild bill stealey on youtube, it is over a year old and there is almost no traffic- only around 500+  hits on his channel in that time frame, no visitor comments, nor any further posts from him, it is but an open sales pitch to investors just as the video is titled- but offers nothing specific to invest in. micrprose currently appears to be little more than someone squatting on the name and collecting any royalties from a few older microsoft games sold on steam at best (which i doubt is pulling down a lot of money). there is no mention of any development team or new projects, and finally, no way to contact a site administrator. in other words, the medium is the message: if you don't see any indicators of these things, then the lack of those things is in itself is the vibe.

likewise, the strange thing about stealey with his credentials and yet is behaving the way he has of late (that m4 sherman game they released a few years back looked like a joke as if the game players couldn't figure that out for themselves by the media they had released that it was obsolete looking AND it looked like a third rate game that neither looked like it was fit to be either an action game nor a simulation), and then reduced to shopping around for investors or whatever bites the hook- but no specific roadmap, he is just name dropping), it looks like there is nothing actually going on and there is only a facade like the microprose website.

Edited by Captain_Colossus

crowdfund what- there is no outline of anything: no game or set of goals that someone is trying to put together.

here is EA website, for instance. what if the first thing that loads up? some indication that there is a new jedi game coming in november.

https://www.ea.com/

scroll to the bottom of the page and you see more games, go down further you see what looks like links for the public to interact with for specific reasons.

go to esim's website, what do you see? you see a product in development soon to be released.

now go to http://www.microprose.com/  and start clicking around, and what do you see looks different about it

Ah, Microprose, a name that truly brings back found memories.

I also would love to see a remake of some of their classics. But sadly their new webside kind of looks odd indeed.

Well, I for once wouldn't hold my breath.

11 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

I had Gunship! and it was a blast at the time of childhood. Also F4.0 AF

Yeah, Gunship on the C64! Or Silent Service. Those were the days...

As far as I can remember, most Microprose games were really good.

49 minutes ago, Rotareneg said:

The graphics in the original Steel Beasts suddenly seem much nicer...

Indeed though that felt quite immersive back then... There was one more tank game before Steel Beast though. I think it was Armored fist 3? But even that.. umm..  graphics may have been better but it felt too arcade too...   gamy.  

So yeah when I saw Steelbeast gold on marked shelf and got to play it for first time.   -  That was it.  Something click and I have been fond user of Steelbeast ever after because SB feels so much more immersive.  Not always visually, but in so many other ways.  

When I would see Microprose on the box/cover/3.5 it was a instant buy. You knew it was gonna be good.

Gunship 2000 was my first sim too. When I first saw the HUD, I freaked out! 😄

Would love to see Across de Rheine remake.

David Lagettie is also the guy who wrote the Operation Flashpoint main theme song "Lifeless"

He even suggest to the Bohemia Interactive Guys to turn ArmA/OFP into a commercial military simulator.

Didn't know he is the man behind Titan and now Microprose ...

Jens

Source

Edited by jens198