Microprose is back and may use TitanIM/Outerra engine

Galileo

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Yeah, it rings a few bells. Could still be legit, I don't think Wild Bill is a fraud, nor David Lagettie. But Warbirds was "a thing" some 20 years ago, haven't followed it much, but various other titles left a bit to be desired, which might indicate a shortage of cahs and staff. That Wild Bill is trying to revive Microprose at least is somewhat authentic, after all he founded it together with Sid Meier. But I think they are trying to capitalize on a brand name that was great some 25 years ago.

They are making it on Unreal Engine 4 though, and David Lagettie might be providing some of his titan magic, so basicaly it will be a new game now.

i don't think wild bill is a fraud, but he may be delusional. it may have been he had a talent for selling products with solid talent behind them, but now you may see the results when he pairs up with product teams that don't have the resources to quite pull it off. m4 tank battalion was a sort of signpost, maybe

1 hour ago, Captain_Colossus said:

i don't think wild bill is a fraud, but he may be delusional. it may have been he had a talent for selling products with solid talent behind them, but now you may see the results when he pairs up with product teams that don't have the resources to quite pull it off. m4 tank battalion was a sort of signpost, maybe

Wild Bill got an eye for talent, he saw it in Sid, and now he saw it in David, I wouldn't be surprised if he is handing over the Warbirds franchise to David and MicroProse.

If Warbirds 2020 will be under 'MicroProse' banner, then David Lagettie wants it to be the best it can be (and he already created concept art for Warbirds 2020 with 'MicroProse' banner).

Of course this is all speculation, but it looks this way.

that would not explain that horrid m4 game. wild bill may be entitled to a fubar, but that game shows that it is possible wild bill would sell you on a stinker. it may be that wild bill was fortunate to have the right circumstances in the past, but now it is a new situation with different circumstances: the synergy that was there in the past isn't coalescing now and he's in over his head. that is my sense of it.

8 hours ago, Captain_Colossus said:

that would not explain that horrid m4 game. wild bill may be entitled to a fubar, but that game shows that it is possible wild bill would sell you on a stinker. it may be that wild bill was fortunate to have the right circumstances in the past, but now it is a new situation with different circumstances: the synergy that was there in the past isn't coalescing now and he's in over his head. that is my sense of it.

Not that i'm defending Wild Bill or anything, but I got a theory - M4 was released 4 years ago back when IEN was low on cash, a year ago Wild Bill was posting invest videos, those videos look like they were made for in-house crowd and not public but Wild Bill posted them publicly (the 3rd video is a conference with investors where he gives a presentation), he secured finances from investors and got investors onboard - now either A) one of the investors was David Lagettie  B) thanks to investors he hired David Lagettie because he saw he can do good simulations and poured money into the new 'MicroProse' signaling a higher quality games are coming then previous stinkers.

Now how David Lagettie has MicroProse brand which was Wild Bills is another story...... but IMO this theory fits, because they are working together, and Wild Bill was the president of MicroProse, it was his company.

Edited by bobm

you are rationalizing, sure. when i say that even the microprose website lacks information on what looks like its one and only new product- i daresay its flagship title for a company that is trying to make a comeback, you just repeat the statement back to me as its justification, that is, "microprose hasn't updated their website since 2018... (paraphrasing you) " - begging the question, that's what that is. i know that it isn't updated, the issue is why does it look like you have to do some digging to find information on a product that should be resurrecting microprose on obscure channels rather than on microprose's website?

at some point this should look odd, it doesn't look right. you can always of course manufacture some hypothetical reasons and this or that. you see i'm not making predictions about anything, nor am i saying i know what's going on; what i am saying is the behavior is right in plain sight- and that behavior looks at odds with any company who is about to release a product, particularly one that is supposed to bring microprose back into the spotlight/

wild bill as far as i know is not a programmer or a game designer in that sense, he is first a salesman, which he himself has claimed himself to be. his vision and his knowledge about certain topics may show up in the games. but insofar as him churning out code is not what he is about.

at some point you have to look at someone's behavior as representative of what they are about. not much from microprose, not much from wild bill either about microprose, warbirds or anything at all really. you have to go exploring to find this information on warbirds 2020- so im saying that in itself is showing you something. there is a tendency to say, "yeah but..."  wild bill isn't an immortal, you judge him by his actions. yes, he started microprose, not as programmer though. it is possible that with the teams that he was previously involved with would have succeeded anyway without him (meier in particular), you can't really determine that.

if you were microprose attempting to make a comeback, is this how you would do it? in such an obscure way? if it were me, and i had a product ready or near completion i would want to stand behind, my attitude would be different: it would be along the lines of fuck yeah, it's microprose and we're back, get ready! the behavior is a bit different, and this is at odds with wild bill's own statements that if someone could design the game, he can sell it (just look at past statements from him)- he's not shy about that, why does it all look so obscure now? i think that question in itself is telling.

you are rationalizing, sure. when i say that even the microprose website lacks information on what looks like its one and only new product

It's the first product, there is information news on other site, that his 2nd game will be 'Burning Worlds' in 2020, he even got concept art for it on twitter.

'David intends to bring other great simulation products to the new MicroProse PTY portfolio of games with the first new game to be Burning Worlds in 2020.'

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/481656615/ientertainment-network-and-microprose-to-co-publish-warbirds-2020

D9nxqzFUEAE1EID.jpg

D-WisrtUIAAC4C-.jpg

why does it all look so obscure now?

Because Wild Bill is an 80's guy and he cannot into todays internet lol.

But David looks like a competent developer, he did Titan by himself ?

Anyway, we will see soon enough, they are releasing Warbirds 2020 in October, there should be a trailer before release.

Edited by bobm

the rationalization is strong with you- because wild bill is an 80's guy and cannot internet? that's your reply? i just fell off the onion wagon.

there is so much to critique in that, but one obvious response is:

if wild bill is still in the 80s and finds it difficult to relate to today's internet technology, that is a problem if that is true for company that needs to operate in the modern age, and one that is going to release a product that looks like it will be an online experience (and one that apparently solicits the public to augment its flight models). if what you say were true and not just kind of tongue in cheek, that's more or less admitting to being out of his element (i agree with that conclusion, but not the reason for it- if anything, wild bill knows how to have a youtube channel and order shirts advertising his company, the proof of that, once again, is right in plain sight in what he does)

concept box art don't mean a thing to me. i'm surprised someone would think that actually makes a statement about much. it's as if you've never heard of vaporware, or half promises delivered in a field where companies can go bankrupt rather quickly; the computer and video games industry has known to be volatile- it's not easy to survive, even multi-million dollar companies flunk.

look, i'm all for microprose making a comeback, at the same time, i have a predilection for seeing things which are right in plain sight. i say again, the way that these people are behaving is right in plain sight, something looks off. the way you can tell is just compare companies like esim or electronic arts or what have you and how they believe to see what i mean. this you cannot dodge just be posting concept art or repeating the statement back to me.

Idk, i'm just a player who would like to play a good simulation game, like I said we will see soon enough, I bet they will have a trailer before october release, if not, then the red flags should be put up.

9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Yeah, it rings a few bells. Could still be legit, I don't think Wild Bill is a fraud, nor David Lagettie. But Warbirds was "a thing" some 20 years ago, haven't followed it much, but various other titles left a bit to be desired, which might indicate a shortage of cahs and staff. That Wild Bill is trying to revive Microprose at least is somewhat authentic, after all he founded it together with Sid Meier. But I think they are trying to capitalize on a brand name that was great some 25 years ago.

They should have invested in some marketing in the new Stranger Things series. :D

One thing about that MicroProse site..... when you go into the page source, there is hidden in the code:

'3D planetary engine for seamless planet rendering from space down to the surface. Can use arbitrary resolution of elevation data, refining it to centimeter resolution using fractal algorithms.'

Edited by bobm

1 hour ago, bobm said:

'3D planetary engine for seamless planet rendering from space down to the surface. Can use arbitrary resolution of elevation data, refining it to centimeter resolution using fractal algorithms.'

Yes, that's the "TitanIM/Outerra engine" part.

my guess is that teams of artists and programmers would still be needed to create man made facilities, bases, towns, ships, ground threats and targets- outerra doesn't fractally generate those. if on the  other hand, warbirds is intended to be exclusively air to air, that may not sustain a player base for too long, a giant empty planet with no opponents anywhere sounds boring even if it looks good. and on that score it sounds as if they are attempting to compete in a free to play  with paid addons market a la world of tanks/ warships / what have you. can they make an impression on those players with such sketchy ideas and development goals

1 hour ago, Captain_Colossus said:

my guess is that teams of artists and programmers would still be needed to create man made facilities, bases, towns, ships, ground threats and targets- outerra doesn't fractally generate those. if on the  other hand, warbirds is intended to be exclusively air to air, that may not sustain a player base for too long, a giant empty planet with no opponents anywhere sounds boring even if it looks good. and on that score it sounds as if they are attempting to compete in a free to play  with paid addons market a la world of tanks/ warships / what have you. can they make an impression on those players with such sketchy ideas and development goals

Didn't David Lagettie create Titanim all by himself? Before that he created Virtual Battle simulator for military

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLduhu5wclM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvR1HU1IHcY

Skilled dude

can they make an impression on those players with such sketchy ideas and development goals

I think the crowd for this is a little bit different than world of tanks / war thunder  arcade crowd.  This is more for flight simulator enthusiasts, a modern game like this one currently does not exist.

Edited by bobm

that is the market they are competing in, as opposed to say dual use commercial/military customers. a free to play model is bound to overlap audiences since the bar for entry is so low. you see you keep on posting box art or explaining david laggettie to me, and honestly i never heard of him, and I don't doubt that he is a programmer. but you keep skating around what I am saying. they may have a game engine, but it doesn't look like they have a game yet in a form they are willing to advertise on the website. there is ta difference between those two. telling me that david laggiette was responsible for doing xyz on over on abc is not really getting to the point that I and others have raised, but you keep returning to that. in sum: the microprose website is so barebones that looking at it I wouldn't know it if they were developing a game to resurrect itself from the dead. and based on information I've seen from elsewhere, I don't have feelings that they are about to blow down the doors come fall 2019 (which was a projected time frame for release). posting more shots of  box art or telling me about unrelated accomplishments is once again begging the question, which you keep doing

Edited by Captain_Colossus

I'm just looking for information available on the product also, and that is the information they are currently providing, I never heard about David Lagettie before either but that is probably because he was making simulators for the military only and not commercial video games (even though I played Operation Flashpoint before and he made music for this game).

Edited by bobm

10 hours ago, bobm said:

Didn't David Lagettie create Titanim all by himself? Before that he created Virtual Battle simulator for military

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLduhu5wclM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvR1HU1IHcY

Skilled dude

I think the crowd for this is a little bit different than world of tanks / war thunder  arcade crowd.  This is more for flight simulator enthusiasts, a modern game like this one currently does not exist.

No, VBS is made by Bohemina interactive. What that video show, is the use of VBS in a specific simulator setup...

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

Sorry, but as Grenny mentioned he had nothing to do with VBS.

Wait, what?

'David Lagettie, founder of the next generation TitanIM simulation software, founder of the VBS Series Software, founder of Bohemia Interactive Simulations'

https://au.linkedin.com/in/david-lagettie-b55a8426

Edited by bobm

4 minutes ago, bobm said:

Wait, what?

'David Lagettie, founder of the next generation TitanIM simulation software, founder of the VBS Series Software.'

https://au.linkedin.com/in/david-lagettie-b55a8426

He is listed(or lists himself as) as CEO of "BiS Australia"...not the Bohomia interactive frim, well, Bohemia .

It as marketing and customization subdivision...

Edited by Grenny

1 hour ago, Grenny said:

He is listed(or lists himself as) as CEO of "BiS Australia"...not the Bohomia interactive frim, well, Bohemia .

It as marketing and customization subdivision...

wiki also says this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemia_Interactive_Simulations

Bohemia Interactive Simulations (BISim) began as spinoff studio Bohemia Interactive Australia (BIA), formed by Bohemia Interactive and David Lagettie