Microprose is back and may use TitanIM/Outerra engine

Galileo

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

Well I'm afraid I know a whole bunch of people at Bohemia and they'll disagree.

But I must admit I have pretty much 0% interest in this topic so I wont be wasting many more  keystrokes on it.

So he posted fake information? and the wiki is wrong? and the imdb site also that he was working on VBS?

2 minutes ago, bobm said:

So he posted fake information? and the wiki is wrong? and the imdb site also that he was working on VBS?

To be frank I don't care. But Wiki is only as accurate as the last person who played with it - its not an authoritative source.

Bohemia says he didn't work on it.

If you have an issue take it up with them.

Edited by Gibsonm

There is also this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/technology/02gameside.html

David Lagettie, was obsessed with military simulators. Mr. Lagettie, 42, had been an industrial air-conditioning mechanic near Canberra. The son of a Vietnam War veteran, he grew up enthralled by military flight simulators. He wrote “Lifeless” in memory of a close family friend, Sgt. Tom Birnie, who was killed in Vietnam.

He suggested that the Spanels turn Operation Flashpoint into a military training game.

The open design and mission editor, it turned out, provided just the flexibility the military needed. Mr. Lagettie helped the Spanels customize Operation Flashpoint into a military simulator they called VBS, which the Marine Corps started purchasing in 2001. The American, British, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand armies now also use the software.

“If it wasn’t for that song,” said Mr. Lagettie, “VBS wouldn’t exist today.”

The military simulation business has sustained the company.

when you look at Ientertainment Network's roster of games, it should start to hit you. i believe the answer is right in plain sight and all of this begins to gel:

https://corporate-ient.com/games/

you see several games with the warbirds title available on various platforms, and a couple other mobile only games, otherwise warbirds seems to be the primary draw. you also see m4 tank brigade. it should start to be apparent that warbirds and any other title released by Ientertainment Network are basically in the very casual game market, although they may throw the words realistic around, you can see the pattern here. when you actually open up m4 tank brigade, when you open up all the other warbirds games and click "more information" they are self applying the title action game rather than a simulation.  i think that's the answer. wild bill, IEntertainment and now microprose are probably in the business to create pick up and play budget games. why do i say this? because one again, look at the pattern of behavior to see what they are about. it is right in plain sight. a-ha!

will bobm manufacture some kind of conceit to get around what is in plain sight? will bobm post more concept box art? or will bobm post links offsite to something unrelated to distract your attention from what what is in plain sight? well, look at his behavior to see what he is about.

none of these screenshots come together to mention any game, no working titles that all of this points to. we already know there are similar screenshots that you see here on the titanium website, that really isn't much to transplant those to micrsoft's website, where they mix and match different eras, you have b-17 bombers and f-16s, apaches and blackhawks and what have you; this doesn't indicate to me yet there is any focus on developing a particular game, it is evidence there is an engine with models in some state of working order- but how is any of this combined into a specific product that you know of that is what is lacking.

Edited by Captain_Colossus

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, jens198 said:

There is an interview with David Lagettie in the latest issue of PC-Pilot, but sadly it has no real additional info on what this is all about.

Jens

Well, I'll sit quiet and expect nothing...until some btea version get published, or at least there will be some info on what the team looks like and what they intent to publish...

So far, I'm not impressed

Since my household jumped on the Apple ][e bandwagon (thanks in no small part to Oregon Trail and Lemonade), I did not have the pleasure of playing the original Gunship and M1TP titles. I did however thoroughly enjoy M1TP2 and European Air War. I got Gunship! and surprisingly it still runs on this rig, but it's never held my attention long. Now, X-Com UFO Defense, that got plenty of my attention.

Not sure the revival of this publisher will have anything for me though. I've got plenty of nostalgic titles from GOG, newer wargames from Matrix and JTS, and SBProPE remains the only sim I use with any regularity.

Edited by Scrapper_511

• 2 weeks later...

well the concept art thing doesn't move me- it gives me the impression that someone is spending more time on packaging than on the actual game; seriously, you would rather see screenshots and a digest of features rather than more art. we get it, we've seen the art, now get to the point of what this is about.

as far as i know the titan vanguard engine that the screenshots are based on is  a game engine theoretically available to the public- you have to petition the company which designed it for a free consumer version of it.

let us assume that is what this is all based on the titan vanguard game engine. in itself that doesn't mean there are high fidelity models available that come with it, things like the avionics and heads up displays and sensors of modern war machines don't come with the engine, those things would likely to be supplied by the end user with perhaps more refined physics, which i surmise because  i have watched videos of  the engine in action- strykers climbing very steep, nearly vertical rocky slopes, and tanks bouncing and floating in air and turning unrealistically, my sense is that the engine itself is a basis to create games with, but would still require the necessary tools and libraries by end users or otherwise a simulation will look quite amateurish once you get past the graphics and see how actors in the engine have funky behaviors (on a positive note, the shadows the engine is capable of rendering look good- rendering shadows off in the distance cast by buildings by large cities and trees is well done).

but- if microsprose is essentially a one man show at this point, it would seem to be rather difficult that a comprehensive simulation is coming together in that way, given what we know that modern computer games are resource intensive and not easy to make, months if not years are required for high quality titles with large development teams from the major developers- not anyone could just program a game from scratch, especially one which claims to compete in the simulation market- there seems to be no game testers at least as far as anyone knows, no public announcements for jobs at microprose- artists, programmers, QA managers, software engineers, play testers, none of that, unless it was all put together in complete secrecy, which seems illogical if unnecessary to do that.

maybe there is an announcement, and maybe that's what the announcement will be- an open call for people to join microprose to develop a game. on the other hand if there was suddenly an announcement of a new game in the works, theoretically the game could look good but play like crap because the actual gameplay itself is of low quality or the simulation elements are low fidelity, and so on. it takes a lot more work than just showing off a good looking game engine (however, some of the in game elements i've seen in promotional videos like civilian cars and buildings are of nowhere near the same graphics quality of the terrain) to create the rest of the world of how the actors are supposed to behave in the world