Microprose is back and may use TitanIM/Outerra engine

Galileo

1 hour ago, Marko said:

+1

I also am also wondering what direction micropose are taking.

I am clearly stating the obvious but,

The market has moved on since there hay day. trying to complete against 

DCS Esim etc in the area of fidelity anyway is going to be difficult and expensive.

Games like war thunder and WOT have the light entertainment side of the market.

So it leaves me wondering what there strategy is.

I think there is a big gap in the market in the middle ground between gameys like WT and sims like DCS. Think about a good Apache Longbow or Attack Submarine or WW2 Battleship sims in line with middle ground reality based genre like Flaming Cliffs. Not hardcore study sims like DCS series, but not kids trigger frenzy MMO like WT.

How long since we dont have a proper Apache sim? Last game I remember was Apache Havok, from 1998! SSN was Dangerous Waters from 2005! And the last good WW2 Battleship sim was Task Force 1942 from 1992! If I was a new developer that's where I would tackle.

What makes me sick about this Microprose revival thread, tho, is this 'announcement of an announcement' crap with silly artwork and nothing to show.

2 hours ago, Marko said:

The market has moved on since there hay day. trying to complete against 

DCS Esim etc in the area of fidelity anyway is going to be difficult and expensive.

Games like war thunder and WOT have the light entertainment side of the market.

So it leaves me wondering what there strategy is.

Theres always a market for shiny explodey wargames!

On 9/8/2019 at 12:26 PM, stormrider_sp said:

Iis this 'announcement of an announcement' crap with silly artwork and nothing to show.

There has been an announcement in february, the first game they are doing is Warbirds 2020, the artwork with helis, soldiers etc is for not yet announced new game that will use the outterra/titanim engine.

"

iEntertainment Network Inc. and MicroProse announce agreement for Development and Co-Publishing of the new WarBirds 2020 World War II flight simulation that has been successfully entertaining millions on virtual online pilots since 1995.

CEO David Lagettie of MicroProse says, “I am excited to work with iEntertainment Network CEO and Co-Founder of MicroProse, ‘Wild Bill’ Stealey, to produce the next generation of WarBirds 2020 WW II combat flight simulation using new modern technology and promoting worldwide.”

Wild Bill Stealey says, “It will be fun to be working with MicroProse again to do great simulation games! We are very excited to be partnering with David and his team to update our very successful WarBirds 2020 product for WW II combat simulation fans around the world.”

http://www.combatsim.com/topics/combat-flight-sim/warbirds-2020/

Edited by bobm

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

With all that...it seems that the company has shifted gears into publishing, rather than developing. Not a peep heard in months regarding the development of anything. 

It looks like they signed on a real assortment of developers though: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=MicroProse Software

Two really odd looking FPS games (WW2 & Cold War), where one is free to play, a really crappy looking Cold War RTS, and a decent looking WWII turn-based strategy game. 

The developer for the FPS games is a former YouTube streamer, so I'm sure its a totally legit development project. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/c/MicroProse/videos

6 reveal trailers on their channel now, look pretty interesting to me.

EDIT

for all the people arguing about TitanIM

TitanIM is a simulation and is for military training, because it has a framework that lets developers add their system to the engine. with a digitally connected real world controller to operate the weapon system they put in the game.

real ZPU-4 Anti Aircraft gun, put a screen on it, run TitanIM. your laughing http://titanim.net/www/images/blog/IITSEC_2016_News_image3.jpg

couple of screens, chair, flight stick. bam you got your helicopter simulator http://titanim.net/www/media/k2/items/cache/39eee751af30032eeece2f48de2de4ba_XL.jpg

m240 gunner training? no problem http://titanim.net/www/media/k2/items/cache/9ecd376e5371efaef9aad9bc9143aed8_XL.jpg

Titan:Vangaurd was RUMORED to be, the commercial version (essentially what Arma is to VBS) and yea the graphics are certainly not optimal. it does how ever feature a 1-1 scale model of the planet. where you can dynamically throw down units anywhere. have actual satellites overhead. fire cruise missile from warships and actually have them fly 1000 miles to their target. clickable cockpits for aircraft and other vehicles. fully modeled interiors not only for tanks and Humvee's but entire ships that you can walk around in, and sit at all the stations like the sonar screen, or the CNC. same for helicopters with a sonar for anti submarine warfare (yes working submarines) where you actually sit in the back looking at a sonar screen. or when operating a sam system, actually being inside it and looking at a realistic interior model of the radar screen.

this is what TitanIM is, and what Vangaurd might be. in my opinion 10 times better then arma, where a super sonic jet crosses the map in 5 minutes. and where radar involves a poorly made pop up window.

in Titan IM you can have a jet with a player in it who loves flight simulation actually fly out of an airbase 400 miles away from the front, and use a fully clickable cockpit with all systems simulated. while a group of players is doing combined arms ground operations on the front line and has to wait for CAS to be on station.

but Titan Vangaurd was already being teased long ago, 2017-2018? i want to say, i would not hold my breath. but this whole deal with microprose certainly puts Titan Vangaurd back on my radar again. 

excited for the Microprose return nonetheless, loved Falcon 4.0 and play Falcon BMS regularly. 

Edited by loly326

4 hours ago, loly326 said:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MicroProse/videos

6 reveal trailers on their channel now, look pretty interesting to me.

EDIT

for all the people arguing about TitanIM

TitanIM is a simulation and is for military training, because it has a framework that lets developers add their system to the engine. with a digitally connected real world controller to operate the weapon system they put in the game.

real ZPU-4 Anti Aircraft gun, put a screen on it, run TitanIM. your laughing http://titanim.net/www/images/blog/IITSEC_2016_News_image3.jpg

couple of screens, chair, flight stick. bam you got your helicopter simulator http://titanim.net/www/media/k2/items/cache/39eee751af30032eeece2f48de2de4ba_XL.jpg

m240 gunner training? no problem http://titanim.net/www/media/k2/items/cache/9ecd376e5371efaef9aad9bc9143aed8_XL.jpg

Titan:Vangaurd was RUMORED to be, the commercial version (essentially what Arma is to VBS) and yea the graphics are certainly not optimal. it does how ever feature a 1-1 scale model of the planet. where you can dynamically throw down units anywhere. have actual satellites overhead. fire cruise missile from warships and actually have them fly 1000 miles to their target. clickable cockpits for aircraft and other vehicles. fully modeled interiors not only for tanks and Humvee's but entire ships that you can walk around in, and sit at all the stations like the sonar screen, or the CNC. same for helicopters with a sonar for anti submarine warfare (yes working submarines) where you actually sit in the back looking at a sonar screen. or when operating a sam system, actually being inside it and looking at a realistic interior model of the radar screen.

this is what TitanIM is, and what Vangaurd might be. in my opinion 10 times better then arma, where a super sonic jet crosses the map in 5 minutes. and where radar involves a poorly made pop up window.

in Titan IM you can have a jet with a player in it who loves flight simulation actually fly out of an airbase 400 miles away from the front, and use a fully clickable cockpit with all systems simulated. while a group of players is doing combined arms ground operations on the front line and has to wait for CAS to be on station.

but Titan Vangaurd was already being teased long ago, 2017-2018? i want to say, i would not hold my breath. but this whole deal with microprose certainly puts Titan Vangaurd back on my radar again. 

excited for the Microprose return nonetheless, loved Falcon 4.0 and play Falcon BMS regularly. 

i don't know how someone takes a ride on the hype train after all that's been said, but here were are.

microprose apparently is not developing their own content- it looks like they are publishing. that's fine, but i think you are are expecting something more, that is, you seem to think with your last sentence that microprose's return means the next generation of content where falcon 4.0 left off.

what looks to be the case is microprose partners with developers looking for either a publisher or assistance to bring them to market. this does not warrant all of sudden the idea that microprose in itself is the same kind of company you may remember from the 1980s and 1990s. the real advantage is the name-

they are able to capitalize on a name and gain traction with development teams who know the name micrprose, which is not a bad strategy if microprose cannot make its own content.

personally i think it's fine if they are able to help small developers, nothing wrong with that. but the press is all rather misleading enthusiastic customers who believe that they are seeing the resurrection of the past in the same way they remember. my objection is both the overtly misleading

and covertly suggestive way microprose plants in your mind which suggest something else. someone is using manipulative techniques, and you see it plainly if you know how the mind can tend to run away with suggestion. it gives the impression of a bait and switch- the initial suggestion or impression

of something different than what is actually being delivered.

at any rate those video links aren't all of them, if any of them, using the titan engine that you refer to, you can see that for yourself. the microprose website doesn't make mention of the titan engine, so at this point it looks like projection from enthusiastic customers to think new content from microprose is using it. for example the below (this should indicate that microprose isn't developing these games with the titan engine, they are coming from different teams using different resources):

Edited by Captain_Colossus

On 9/25/2020 at 10:20 PM, Captain_Colossus said:

i don't know how someone takes a ride on the hype train after all that's been said, but here were are.

microprose apparently is not developing their own content- it looks like they are publishing. that's fine, but i think you are are expecting something more, that is, you seem to think with your last sentence that microprose's return means the next generation of content where falcon 4.0 left off.

what looks to be the case is microprose partners with developers looking for either a publisher or assistance to bring them to market. this does not warrant all of sudden the idea that microprose in itself is the same kind of company you may remember from the 1980s and 1990s. the real advantage is the name-

they are able to capitalize on a name and gain traction with development teams who know the name micrprose, which is not a bad strategy if microprose cannot make its own content.

personally i think it's fine if they are able to help small developers, nothing wrong with that. but the press is all rather misleading enthusiastic customers who believe that they are seeing the resurrection of the past in the same way they remember. my objection is both the overtly misleading

and covertly suggestive way microprose plants in your mind which suggest something else. someone is using manipulative techniques, and you see it plainly if you know how the mind can tend to run away with suggestion. it gives the impression of a bait and switch- the initial suggestion or impression

of something different than what is actually being delivered.

at any rate those video links aren't all of them, if any of them, using the titan engine that you refer to, you can see that for yourself. the microprose website doesn't make mention of the titan engine, so at this point it looks like projection from enthusiastic customers to think new content from microprose is using it. for example the below (this should indicate that microprose isn't developing these games with the titan engine, they are coming from different teams using different resources):

Me: "but Titan Vangaurd was already being teased long ago, 2017-2018? i want to say, i would not hold my breath. but this whole deal with microprose certainly puts Titan Vangaurd back on my radar again."

also Me: "excited for the Microprose return nonetheless, loved Falcon 4.0 and play Falcon BMS regularly.
"

some guy on the internet "i don't know how someone takes a ride on the hype train after all that's been said, but here were are"

i don't see how my exact words could be misconstrued to me being hyped for anything, i stated that i Loved one of their old games, no where do i mention i want to see the next version of that game (if i want a next version at all, BMS works quite nicely) i simply say that Microprose's return is exciting to me. which it is.

and yea they are not developing anything, or at least have not yet shown anything yet. but so what? Microprose was already a Publisher next to being a Developer in the 90's. just because they are not making their own game, or have admitted to making their own game means i should not be getting excited about their return?

as for TitanIM like i said in my comment, that you appearantly failed to read. but felt a need to reply to anyway. I WOULD NOT HOLD MY BREATH  there capitalized it so its extra easy to read.

TitanIM, i knew about it long before anyone started talking about Microprose again. i followed their youtube channel since their first video, and visited ISTEC-2016 where you could have a hands on experience. all i said is that because of the connections with the Owner the project is now "back on my radar again"

besides if you would do a little bit more searching on microprose, on their instagram for instance linked on that website you say shows nothing. you would see that they are definitely working on something in the Outerra Engine which TitanIM is built on.

EAYGN1EUwAIZE2H.jpg:large

before there were any announced games on their site, the slide show on their website featured more screenshots made inside the Outerra Engine, including one with a M1a2 tank and one with 2 Blackhawks.

anyway, i would appreciate it if you would not put words i've never said in my mouth. i have not gotten Hyped about any game, for a long time. as i think most smart gamers do ever since the crowdfund phenomena. 

Edited by loly326

5 hours ago, loly326 said:

Me: "but Titan Vangaurd was already being teased long ago, 2017-2018? i want to say, i would not hold my breath. but this whole deal with microprose certainly puts Titan Vangaurd back on my radar again."

also Me: "excited for the Microprose return nonetheless, loved Falcon 4.0 and play Falcon BMS regularly.
"

some guy on the internet "i don't know how someone takes a ride on the hype train after all that's been said, but here were are"

i don't see how my exact words could be misconstrued to me being hyped for anything, i stated that i Loved one of their old games, no where do i mention i want to see the next version of that game (if i want a next version at all, BMS works quite nicely) i simply say that Microprose's return is exciting to me. which it is.

and yea they are not developing anything, or at least have not yet shown anything yet. but so what? Microprose was already a Publisher next to being a Developer in the 90's. just because they are not making their own game, or have admitted to making their own game means i should not be getting excited about their return?

as for TitanIM like i said in my comment, that you appearantly failed to read. but felt a need to reply to anyway. I WOULD NOT HOLD MY BREATH  there capitalized it so its extra easy to read.

TitanIM, i knew about it long before anyone started talking about Microprose again. i followed their youtube channel since their first video, and visited ISTEC-2016 where you could have a hands on experience. all i said is that because of the connections with the Owner the project is now "back on my radar again"

besides if you would do a little bit more searching on microprose, on their instagram for instance linked on that website you say shows nothing. you would see that they are definitely working on something in the Outerra Engine which TitanIM is built on.

EAYGN1EUwAIZE2H.jpg:large

before there were any announced games on their site, the slide show on their website featured more screenshots made inside the Outerra Engine, including one with a M1a2 tank and one with 2 Blackhawks.

anyway, i would appreciate it if you would not put words i've never said in my mouth. i have not gotten Hyped about any game, for a long time. as i think most smart gamers do ever since the crowdfund phenomena. 

no kidding. have you followed this topic from the beginning?

i say it again- we know that these images were being posted. that's why this all looks hokey, because of some apparent misrepresentation, or hype. to hash this entire thread all over again is getting old- but in sum, there is something goofy with all of this. if you follow this thread to the beginning, we discussed this already.

i said what i did not not because you're hyping a specific game, but you're hyping this situation after lengthy discussion about something which seems weird going on, again, if you followed this topic from the beginning, you might understand why i say that about these images. and these are your words

"excited for the Microprose return nonetheless, loved Falcon 4.0 and play Falcon BMS regularly.  "

again, you connect the dots here, as if you expect microprose to pick up where it left off where you remember. i didn't put words in your mouth, i take this directly from you.

you can feel the way you want, but keep in mind you are making a statement about a topic already discussed at length, and you're making the same points all over again as some other individual who joined this site just for this topic promoting or nurturing this hype-

and i have seen this individual posting on at least one other site under the same username doing the same thing, so i suspect something going on there. if you read this topic from the beginning, you'd understand you are rehashing the same points. you're talking about the titan engine

again when we've already already discussed the strange way microprose is behaving, and in the end, we get news that microprose is publishing content from small teams, who aren't using the titan engine- if you've seen those video links you posted, there's no evidence or mention

of it.

"but so what? Microprose was already a Publisher next to being a Developer in the 90's. just because they are not making their own game, or have admitted to making their own game means i should not be getting excited about their return?"

whatever- if you're excited, then that's your thing. but this is a discussion board, and discussions don't just revolve around your feelings- in other words, no one should expect any discussion to just conform the way they want it because of their feelings. i see something sketchy with these promotions, and the

way it seems to be affecting some people; and just as much as it is your imperative to discuss your feelings, i am explaining my reservations about this- it looks sketchy.

so this is my point- this advertising campaign is creating i believe in impression in consumers thinking that microprose itself has turned the corner and is now filling the vacuum of where it left off previously. i do not think that's what it is. in other words, it's the name that's being hyped- the company called microprose

that has you excited no longer exists- by using the name, someone is pushing the nostalgia buttons. suppose all this news were presented from a new publisher who used a different name, for the sake of argument let's call it "Microware", then it would not be having the same effect.

• 3 weeks later...