driver loss and turret orientation with tactics

wildbillkelsoe

I am not sure if this is real life and I may get egged here, but I noticed that the gunner will NOT stay under ANY tactic in the assigned pie if the hull is not oriented towards the slice. Is this a normal behaviour? Any workaround? Sometimes, you can't move and you still want to point him somewhere to look.

Also, apparently there is a cool down for his scan. Most of the time he will scan a small sector then when I bark to him traverse left, then face turret he will do a full arc sweep then over minutes he will idle the scan to a smaller sector. He will also raise the gun tube so my TIS view will be skewed above ground. I hope I am not reciting previously discovered bugs here.

If you have told the AI where to look from the map and made sure they can see where you have told them to (solid dot changes to a circle) the AI will turn the hull to the circle.

When on the move the best you can do is use the traverse left/right commands and after about a 30 seconds of scanning in what ever direction the gunner will look to the front again, just have to keep telling them to look where you want to. and In the current version the AI have a tendency to look up.

Edited by jumo213

9 minutes ago, jumo213 said:

If you have told the AI where to look from the map and made sure they can see where you have told them to (solid dot changes to a circle) the AI will turn the hull to the circle.

When on the move the best you can do is use the traverse left/right commands and after about a 30 seconds of scanning in what ever direction the gunner will look to the front again, just have to keep telling them to look where you want to. and In the current version the AI have a tendency to look up.

well I was referring to loss of the DRIVER. so the hull won't move at all. I am a sitting duck. I try all the tactics to point the turret (the engine is running but the driver is dead so hull is dead) in the direction I want and have a clear LOS to two dead kills but gunner did not move the turret. I guess the tactics demand a working hull (aka tracks, driver, wheels, engine, idler, sprocket, coolant) to apply?

Vehicle crew cannot assume the rolls of casualties, (from what i have seen on the inside of AFV's i don't know how feasible that would be under fire anyway) if you want to rotate the hull the tank need to have at working running gear engine etc.

But ideally you have a friend kill what ever is trying to kill you

Edited by jumo213

11 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

Interesting! I think I understand what you trying to say.

So when driver or mobility is disabled and vehicle cannot turn its hull.  Gunner still only scans front of vehicle instead of scanning the area where way-point tactic orientation dot is placed to. 

BINGO!!! that is it!!!

1 hour ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

Also, apparently there is a cool down for his scan. Most of the time he will scan a small sector then when I bark to him traverse left, then face turret he will do a full arc sweep then over minutes he will idle the scan to a smaller sector. He will also raise the gun tube so my TIS view will be skewed above ground. I hope I am not reciting previously discovered bugs here.

Manual scan direction overrides are supposed to be temporary. The gun being high issue is probably because AI tries to take the surrounding terrain elevation into account when scanning. Unfortunately it can get out of hand when there's significant topography near the vehicle, leading to AI gunners leaving their guns at maximum elevation trying to scan mountains, etc.

20 minutes ago, Rotareneg said:

Manual scan direction overrides are supposed to be temporary. The gun being high issue is probably because AI tries to take the surrounding terrain elevation into account when scanning. Unfortunately it can get out of hand when there's significant topography near the vehicle, leading to AI gunners leaving their guns at maximum elevation trying to scan mountains, etc.

I am inclined to agree with your explanation. I have to conduct more tests. I suppose a valley or a ravine is the best place to be under current conditions. I do not want to manually order left and right turret, but to pop a tactic, move the arc into a pizza slice, with a clear ball inside, and the gunner will stay on that slice.