CodeMeter stick reliability questions

stormrider_sp

1 hour ago, stormrider_sp said:

...they will eventually fail. What's the SOP for this case?

Contact Ssnake, send (edit) eSim your malfunctioning stick, then receive a new one free of charge. There’s another verification step that needs to be done after you get the replacement, but you just need to email Ssnake again. At least this was the procedure I went through when my original stick burned out on me (I had it plugged in full-time for like a decade).

Edited by Scrapper_511

1 minute ago, Scrapper_511 said:

Contact Ssnake, send him your malfunctioning stick, then receive a new one free of charge. There’s another verification step that needs to be done after you get the replacement, but you just need to email Ssnake again. At least this was the procedure I went through when my original stick burned out on me (I had it plugged in full-time for like a decade).

Thank you. Yeah, mine is also constantly plugged since 2011.

39 minutes ago, stormrider_sp said:

Thank you. Yeah, mine is also constantly plugged since 2011.

You’re welcome. I had the original stick since the original SB in (edit)2006, and l see my correspondence with Ssnake/WIBU dating back to 2015. Not bad for a full-time “pen drive” eh? Edit: Soon I’ll be getting another stick for the maps!

Edited by Scrapper_511
Date of purchase correction

• Members

Over the last 13 years I may have had to replace about 15% of all CM sticks, the majority of them in the early years (firmware version 1.08 and earlier). So, these days I would estimate an annual failure rate of maybe 0.1%..0.3%

What does that mean?

• If it is 0.1%, it would take 52 years for one in 20 sticks to fail.
  • If it is 0.3%, it would take 18 years for one in 20 sticks to fail.

In any case, as long as you can send in the CM stick, we will make sure that you'll receive a new one, and restore your licenses. If the CM stick was damaged through negligence we may charge you with the material costs of a new stick ($35.-). Otherwise we will replace it for free.

However, don't lose your CM stick. If you can't send it in, we can't replace it.

If you travel a lot and use a notebook, time-based licenses are probably the better choice.

17 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

Talking about CM sticks, how long do they usually last? I have been thinking about this these days: They're in the end simply pen drives so one of these days they will eventually fail. What's the SOP for this case?

Mine, about 16 years so far ... I think.

YMMV

Edited by Gibsonm

17 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

Talking about CM sticks, how long do they usually last? I have been thinking about this these days: They're in the end simply pen drives so one of these days they will eventually fail. What's the SOP for this case?

Ive had my cm stick now for 12 years.   hasn't failed yet (knock on wood)

On 6/26/2019 at 11:13 AM, Scrapper_511 said:

Contact Ssnake, send (edit) eSim your malfunctioning stick, then receive a new one free of charge. There’s another verification step that needs to be done after you get the replacement, but you just need to email Ssnake again. At least this was the procedure I went through when my original stick burned out on me (I had it plugged in full-time for like a decade).

You might have had a dodgy voltage regulator or something.

Sticks don't just "burn out"

Mine's been going since late 2006

• Members

Can also be static electricity. We once had a support case of a guy burning through three sticks in three weeks; turned out that he had his entire PC plugged into a non-grounded wall plug (probably with a fair bit of frizzy hair and electrical hum involved). Sometimes I think it's a sign of divine intervention that not more people kill themselves with modern technology.

2 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

Is that in the power-supply or the mobo?

Could be either.

If its overclocked on voltage with a cheap mobo, it could feed overvolts into other services (such as USB supply)

But I really am just guessing here.

Well this is another of Steel Beast's good points - it happily runs (for our needs) on relatively low end technology.

We can buy boxes and maintain them for 3+ years without needing a hardware refresh.

You don't need a Cray to support it.

A pretty good deal when we are budeting on limited tack kms per year for live training and each of those kms are pretty expensive. 

• Members

Yes.

1. Plug in the CM stick
  2. Start the CodeMeter Control Center
  3. Have the CM stick with serial number 1-, 2-, or 3-xxxxxxx selected on the left
  4. Find the button with the circular arrow on the right
  5. Click it
  6. Follow on-screen instructions