Steel Beasts Pro PE Version 4.1 Pre Orders now being accepted

Gibsonm

• Members
4 hours ago, Wolfseven said:

No, no no we got our purchase orders emails, we didn't get a promotional Email.

OK, good. I didn't send out any. Promotional emails are a dicey thing these days, especially with recipients in the European Union. We have always used the double opt-in so we should be safe, but we haven't documented it as required per GDPA, so we rather not send active pings, just signal passively.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
1 hour ago, frankiekam said:

If I buy the USD25 upgrade but choose not to download any of the online maps due to low broadband speeds in my neck of the woods, but instead.just use 4.1's installation default maps, that should be okay to run the simulation right? It would just mean that I would be missing out on the high definition terrain and not be able to join the multi-player sessions where everyone else is using the downloaded maps, right?

Sorry, no.

WELL, "mostly no".

1. We have separated all map installation (save the tutorial, and "empty" map) from the Steel Beasts installer. That way we can update each installer separately, which probably means "never again" for the map installer. The advantage is that the map packes does not have to be downloaded every time that we change Steel Beasts.
  2. Both the Steel Beasts and the Map Installers will be made available for download. Chances are, we'll put the map installer up for download a few days ahead of the Steel Beasts installer. But if you're on a slow internet connection, the $53.- bundle may still be your better option.
  3. That being said, if you install 4.1 before uninstalling 4.0 (or 3.0) you could attempt to convert all the maps yourself, substituting internet bandwidth by CPU horepower (and electricity consumption). But this is more of a theoretical option since many of the legacy scenarios came with embedded maps that we couldn't directly convert. It was a bloody chore to do all this. We did it, so that's proof that anyone can do it in principle, but it cost us a fair bit of time and hair pulling, and it's a very error-prone process in that you would probably overlook some cases, etc.; we invested a lot of testing time in the attempt to catch all the special cases, you can't just write a batch file to auto-convert everything. (Well, actually, there are enough command line parameters available now to do a batch conversion, but it still wouldn't work for more than maybe 70% of all cases)

My recommendation would be to order the $53.- bundle, and to email me about refunding the other ticket. If you already activated the other ticket, tell me the ticket number of the bundle, and I will cancel that one instead. No problem.

39 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I don't think that you can do any harm by activating the license(s) already. It simply adds a license to your CM stick. If your CM stick was missing an old license as the precondition for the upgrade, you'd get an error message when attempting to activate the ticket. In any case, our license tickets can't remove existing licenses.

Thanks.

Based on that I went ahead and clicked on the link.

All seemed to go well in terms of the process, but an issue in terms of the quantity - email en route.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Yes, others ran into the same issue. It comes and goes. The message originates from the server that performs the credit card transaction verification. We have no control over it. The best advice seems to be to try again. Some people believe that changing the browser helps. Maybe it's the untainted browser cache that does the trick. Or it's IT Voodoo.

Probably Voodoo - I've tried again this morning and it worked without issue this time.

I pre-ordered the full version 4.1 including the code meter. I just now saw that it also includes a printed manual. Is that correct even for me living in the EU? That's awesome! I love printed manuals.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Chances are, everything is fine. The ESIMGAMES container is a virtual CodeMeter device that can hold only time-based licenses. If you haven't purchased a time-based license, it should be empty. Likewise, the 4.1 Upgrade Licenses can only be installed on a CodeMeter USB stick. If you successfully activated your license ticket, the license went automagically on the right device (the USB stick). But since you don't have version 4.1 installed yet having the license at this point is inconsequential; however, on release day you'll be among the first who can directly start playing after finishing the downloading and installation procedure. :)

And as Rotar, I believe, mentioned, you can check on your license status by starting the CodeMeter WebAdmin; either through the tray icon, or through the button from the CodeMeter Control Center.

Everything seems to be quite okay. I didn't have SB installed yesterday, but it seems to be working just fine now that I reinstalled it. I was just worried my good 'ol 11 year old stick might've walked out on me. Thanks for the amazing response as always!

• Members
1 minute ago, BlackDeath said:

I currently have one main 4.0 and a secondary 4.0.
I'd like to upgrade those 2 to 4.1 + get 6 others secondarys,  I guess I should choose 8X "Upgrade License from version 4.0" @ $25, am I correct?

Yes.

Please let me know if your license ticket does not contain the correct number of licenses. There's been at least one case with a discrepancy, which worries me a bit.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Unlikely, but chances are you'll get it before the end of your holidays. :)

I'll just get started on the old version starting Wednesday, so I'm ready whenever 4.1 lands. 😊

Edited by daft

20 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I don't think so I'm in Australia and it worked fine.

I know of several others here, for whom it worked fine too.

Maybe along similar lines to this?:

FYI, I was using Firefox ver 67 on a Win 10 machine.

I tried Chrome and Edge on Win10 x64. 

39 minutes ago, inexus said:

I tried Chrome and Edge on Win10 x64. 

Maybe try Firefox - for just this one time?

Perhaps drop by to one of these, regardless:

There will be one this Thursday the 4th - I just haven't made the post yet. :)

Edited by Gibsonm

Well that's it. After much soul-searching i've gone ahead with the $53 bundle instead of the $25 option with self-downloading of map data and PDF tablet viewing. I've been assimilated. The printed manual cover and mystery gift did it for me. Now I'll have to strike off the list the other things I wanted to buy if I didn't give in to the Piper's flute tune. That's the problem with online credit card payment. It's just too easy to click the Submit button. I blame e-Commerce. Anyway, I am eagerly looking forward to receiving the package at my workplace. I didn't put my home address because .... never mind. Imagine. All my virtual tanking needs inside that package. 

Edited by frankiekam

35 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

There's still our merchandise shop... ;)

Y'know, to round your tanking-oriented lifestyle.

Dude stop it, I already gave you guys over $100. You will ruin me. 😆 Also, I wasn't as smart as @frankiekam. I actually put my home adress for the delivery... Then again, it could lead to more Steel Beasts play time... 🤨

On 6/30/2019 at 9:03 AM, Ssnake said:

Looks like I have to catch up on a few posts, some may already have been answered; nevertheless, here's the official answer:

The preorder bundles serve the purpose to give us a clue how many physical items we have to produce - printed manuals, installation USB drives. Therefore we offer an incentive to order early on - the mysterious surprise item, and a price discount. Now, the manual will of course be part of the installation, as a PDF file. You could have it printed yourself at the local copy shop, but the print will be more costly and come without our nice cover than price of a copy ordered from eSim Games, but if you read the manual on a tablet or if you don't mind alt-tabbing between Steel Beasts and the Acrobat Reader, it's definitely a strictly optional item. Likewise, the installation USB drive will contain both the map installer and the Steel Beasts installer. But both will be downloadable. The thumb drive is therefore again a strictly optional thing, with the greatest utility value to those who have a crappy internet connection where downloading 19 GByte either requires visiting an internet cafe, or a full weekend and then some to squeeze the data through a narrow bandwidth connection.

So, $25.- is all that's needed, in principle. But if you want a printed manual, the $53.- bundle is probably the better option.

Thank you Ssnake for taking the time to confirm this!

Customers can sometimes be a pai* *n th* *ss, right?! I pre-ordered and got a confirmation onscreen directly. 10 seconds later, the confirmation dropped into my email inbox.

I'll get the printed manual later, or just print it myself, unless I enjoy the digital version on my pad. I rely on the cable for downloading the maps later on (got 100Mbit/s connection, EU). Exiting times ahead for every PC-tankers!

Edited by Ingolf

I purchased the upgrade license only. Is there a way to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 without having 4.023 installed? I deleted my install files for 4.023. It sounds like 4.0 must be installed in order to upgrade the Codemeter license. So would I have to download 4.0, install, update my Codemeter, then download and install 4.1? Or is there a way in my case to simply update the Codemeter license, then go straight to 4.1?

Does it upgrade 4.0 to 4.1? Or is it a separate installation?