Artillery Tutorial

Hudson

I've been going through the M1A2 tutorial and finally trying to learn this a bit before 4.1 is released.

I have now done the artillery tutorial several times trying to dump FASCAM on all the TRP1..TRP5 positions, I think as the tutorial text suggests, but all the vehicles seem to stop up, maybe after 1 takes damage?

I've also tried to fire ICM on point 1 and 2 when I think the vehicles will be about at those locations, but I have had no luck getting the fire on the enemy and of course they won't drive into a barrage, so I don't think I've ever killed anything unless I've had the gunner of my tank open up on the convoy, which always ends badly.

Any which way it goes after several minutes the mission ends for reasons I'm unclear and nobodies dead.

What am I doing wrong calling in the artillery and how do I manage to get some kills... or are these results about as expected? It seemed from the briefing I could expect to do heavy damage to the convoy, but maybe my expectations are off.

Edited by Hudson

Welcome to the Forum!

I had thought the tutorial was pretty clear (admittedly it been years since I've done it).

However beyond the tutorial, you need to estimate how far the trucks are away from a certain place and fire there.

The usual artillery mission takes about 2min 40 sec to fire (unless its a "repeat" or a TRP, etc.) so you need to estimate where the trucks will be in 2min 40 sec and call the fire there.

Of course if they are static its pretty straight forward but you are correct that moving vehicles will avoid driving into artillery (as you'd expect).

If you still have issues / concerns send me a PM and perhaps we can arrange something (I'm on leave at the moment for a kitchen install that failed to eventuate :( so I'm pretty available).

Edited by Gibsonm

Thanks for the welcome and help!

I figured out some of it. The mine fire missions take about 4 minutes. That's more than enough for most the convoy to proceed through the area. So if I set up the mine missions and then set off an ICM barrage, which takes seconds to fire, to block their path they end up more boxed in and I can play with them a little more.

I haven't perfected it yet, but I was able to run some of them down and get about 8 kills.

With a little tweaking to my strategy I could probably do a whole lot more damage, but alas, for now I must get ready for work.

• Members

Exactly. Mine obstacles are a good way to slow down the enemy, and especially if the rear end of the column hasn't heard of the trouble at the front it helps to concentrate more units in the strike zone, making them even more vulnerable to artillery fire.

Thanks guys. I took a try during my lunch brake and was able to decimate the convoy a couple times (8 and 9 kills). Definitely feel like I can make a mess with combined artillery and tank fire if I put my mind to it now.

I don't think I ever got past the gunnery tutorials the first time around. The game definitely gets very interesting when you start learning how to move around, hop to TC/Observer, start bringing in artillery, and work with multiple units. Very much looking forward to trying out some scenarios and getting the hang of it all.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this topic as I'm back from a LONG hiatus.

Updated the 4.167 - all good.

Going thru the M1A1 tutorials and cannot figure out the artillery tutorial at all.

Can you preset fire missions in the planning phase on the map?  If so how as right clicking on one of the "+" marks does not bring up an artillery choice.

When doing it in the mission phase I thought that clicking OK on the menu would generate a dashed red box with a countdown timer, right? I don't get that.

Just looking for specifics here as to how this works.

Is there a YouTube video somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, Barkhorn1x said:

Resurrecting this topic as I'm back from a LONG hiatus.

Updated the 4.167 - all good.

Going thru the M1A1 tutorials and cannot figure out the artillery tutorial at all.

Can you preset fire missions in the planning phase on the map?  If so how as right clicking on one of the "+" marks does not bring up an artillery choice.

When doing it in the mission phase I thought that clicking OK on the menu would generate a dashed red box with a countdown timer, right? I don't get that.

Is there a YouTube video somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

What "realism" setting are you using? AFAIK the dashed box only appears in the low realism levels...

7 hours ago, Barkhorn1x said:

It never was possible to access call for fire dialog by clicking reference point  map symbol.

Basically, Call For Fire dialog  can be accessed in two ways:

1) At TC's position, while unbuttoned- via "Support"  drop-down menu (tab with menus shows up if mouse cursor is hovered near upper edge of the screen).  Note, that if 'Support' Menu  is used, then  target location would be defaulted to  first reference point in the list. If there is no reference points available, then target location field would be empty(you can type-in coordinates). Exception are FO teams and vehicles-  in their case grid of lased target would show up there

2) In  the map view(F5 view) by right clicking any spot of the map and picking 'New arty call" option. Note, that in particular case target location would be defaulted to  coordinates of the clicked spot.

In Call For Fire dialog  'Target location' field may contain a drop-down list of available reference points- you can expand list and pick relevant one. Or, as I wrote above- you can type-in coordinates. Also  note what @Grenny  wrote -  artillery barrage symbol (red box)  shows up on the map only if Realism settings are Low or Medium; so if Realism is set to  High, then  it makes sense to put your own reference points on to the map(right click on desired spot of the map> New Reference Point) in order to keep track of things.

You may want to create a ref for your fire mission, a box, a rep point, AB-xxx /with time so you can keep track of where missions are located.

When in large arty missions, one can loose track pretty easily if a method of the fire missions locations are not referenced some how.

Placing box/ref off map, then drag to loc is when  called is one such method to save time during the hectic mission time.