Anyone looking for a map making project

DarkAngel

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2019 at 3:52 PM, DarkAngel said:

I made a map of the Suwalki gap area.  It has roads, terrain and a decent number of buildings. Basically needs the finishing "polish".

On 7/10/2019 at 7:26 AM, Bond_Villian said:

Im happy to pass this modified .ter on to others wishing to use/improve on it further.

Cheers

Bond’, I’ll take a look at it and see if it’s something I can commit to.

Dark’, what year do you need this by? 😂 Edit: Or was this supposed to be completed before the 4.1 debut?

Edited by Scrapper_511

Basically needs the finishing "polish".

Just looked up Suwalki in Google Earth and now I see what you did there.

Edit: As far as design, is there any convention I need to abide by?

1 hour ago, Bond_Villian said:

Ill send you the ter and hgt files later scrapper

Take your time,Bond’. I know I will be (because of life stuff).

Edited by Scrapper_511

9 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

How about posting partial developments in the Downloads section?

I guess it depends on how they want to approach it.

If they are doing all the waterways first, then all the roads, etc. then a "partial development" maybe of little use.

If they are completing grid squares (i.e. doing the water, the roads, the vegetation, the buildings, etc.) in one grid square then moving on to the next, then perhaps.

Edited by Gibsonm

7 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

How about posting partial developments in the Downloads section?

Hi Stormrider. This will be a long term project during which time I will not be sharing until I’m personally through with it, to avoid various WIP iterations floating around. 🙂

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

If they are doing all the waterways first, then all the roads, etc. then a "partial development" maybe of little use.

If they are completing grid squares (i.e. doing the water, the roads, the vegetation, the buildings, etc.) in one grid square then moving on to the next, the perhaps.

My general approach is indeed waterways, road networks, infrastructure, then flora. If the Suwalki map is anything like DA’s Fulda b2b map, then a majority of these is already in place, and like the man himself indicated above, polishing up is all that is required; Not a minor feat, but the opportunity to be creative appeals to me and I get to be intimate with the new editing features.

Gibson, sir, I tried working one grid square at a time but the monotony proved too much. I will probably start with the city of Suwalki itself first though and gauge the balance between density/detail vs fps. But I will end up jumping from one area of the map to another and have fun testing mini scenarios.

4 hours ago, SteveW said:

Background like this is actually handy for map making. May provide opportunities to tweak the terrain, at the cost of making it a little “gamey”.

1 hour ago, Scrapper_511 said:

Gibson, sir, I tried working one grid square at a time but the monotony proved too much. I will probably start with the city of Suwalki itself first though and gauge the balance between density/detail vs fps. But I will end up jumping from one area of the map to another and have fun testing mini scenarios.

Fully understood.

For me I tend to do something completely (i.e. do a water course or road) as it tends to be "easier" to follow it all the way through, rather than do 1000m of water, then 1000m or road, etc. and then go back to the water for the next grid square.

I was just trying to expand on why "works in progress" may not be possible. ;)

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

For me I tend to do something completely (i.e. do a water course or road) as it tends to be "easier" to follow it all the way through, rather than do 1000m of water, then 1000m or road, etc. and then go back to the water for the next grid square.

Yes, I actually have the same approach: water and roads first because they dictate where and how everything else is placed. From there, is where I tend to jump grid square to grid square.

I made a map of the Suwalki gap area.  It has roads, terrain and a decent number of buildings. Basically needs the finishing "polish".

DA, may I please have a copy of your original Suwalki map as well? I will be starting where Bond_Villain left off so that his efforts are not wasted, but I'd still like to see the original as a reference. TIA.

2 minutes ago, Scrapper_511 said:

DA, may I please have a copy of your original Suwalki map as well? I will be starting where Bond_Villain left off so that his efforts are not wasted, but I'd still like to see the original as a reference. TIA.

Sure, I'll upload. It will be in the "old" format as I am still developing maps in that manner at the moment. If you want buildings changed I have the ability to change all the building types on the map in one go.

OK I've uploaded the maps. Keep an eye on the download area.

What i meant about the buildings is this:-

When importing the buildings I have a routine which assesses the size and shape of the object in the shapefile (polygon). It then replaces that polygon with a building from a list which best matches the size and shape of the polygon. Apart from this I can't directly control the buildings placed (especially when dealing with 10's of thousands of buildings). If someone were to then decide that there are too many of the "pink apartment building" in the map I can replace all of those with another specified building or a random from a list of buildings.

Edited by DarkAngel

48 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

If someone were to then decide that there are too many of the "pink apartment building" in the map I can replace all of those with another specified building or a random from a list of buildings.

Thanks, I'll let you know. But to further clarify, you can do mass changes to a map that has been previously edited (without affecting said work)?

Keeping an eye out for the map...

21 minutes ago, Scrapper_511 said:

Thanks, I'll let you know. But to further clarify, you can do mass changes to a map that has been previously edited (without affecting said work)?

Keeping an eye out for the map...

Well... The issue is that the terrain map format changed with 4.0x and again with 4.1x. I was not privy to these changes so if it is saved in 4.0x or later, No. These maps are still in 3.2x format (but with access to 4.0x objects). The best bet would be to haave a look at the map before doing any changes while i can still change things.

19 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I suspect there will still be a need to re-check after a bulk change as the new buildings might take up more room that the old ones (jut out onto roads, close previously open gaps, etc.) or have a different orientation, etc.

Size and shape are a possible issue but orientation is not affected by the change.