Anyone looking for a map making project

DarkAngel

48 minutes ago, DarkAngel said:

The best bet would be to haave a look at the map before doing any changes while i can still change things.

Oh ok, that’s actually how I understood it originally. Again, I am waiting for Bond to share his edition of this map and I’m likely to begin where he left off. If I do find that a bunch off mass changes is more productive then i will let you know. Thanks!

So I'm probing into this project and have run into my first dilemma. I would like to use the package that uses the JAXA hgt map since, as I understand it, it is higher-res and perhaps takes advantage of the new 4.1 terrain. However, it produces an unsightly side-effect in the city; Buildings look buried into the ground and roads can be quite wavy. On the other hand, the 30M has a more acceptable appearance in urban areas, but likely a more bland terrain overall.

SuwalkiJAXA.png.8acd8715c6fb439b60c207373edb1592.png

(above) JAXA HGT. Note the wavy road towards the horizon.

Suwalki30M.png.74d30c4c6841cab739ef216a3847c51a.png

30M HGT

2 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

If you can flag areas of issue I can alter the height data at those places.

I don't know if this part of Poland is just hilly in real life and/or I'm just not used to a HGT map with this kind of height detail, but the "issue" is prevalent in all urban areas of this map. I don't think it matters in the remote towns but I would imagine a built-up city such as Suwalki itself should be generally level. Never been there and can't tell from Google Earth/Map so I can't be sure. But I do think Suwalki city would benefit aesthetically from flatter roads and rail lines. If you can "automate" this, great, otherwise I can try to fiddle around with the 'level roads' editing feature. As for the "buried" buildings, I can't foresee any real issues with them aside from looking odd. I don't know how much work is involved so I'll leave you with this feedback (broad strokes, I know) and let you decide if any changes are worth it on your end.

9 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

So I'm probing into this project and have run into my first dilemma. I would like to use the package that uses the JAXA hgt map since, as I understand it, it is higher-res and perhaps takes advantage of the new 4.1 terrain. However, it produces an unsightly side-effect in the city; Buildings look buried into the ground and roads can be quite wavy. On the other hand, the 30M has a more acceptable appearance in urban areas, but likely a more bland terrain overall.

SuwalkiJAXA.png.8acd8715c6fb439b60c207373edb1592.png

(above) JAXA HGT. Note the wavy road towards the horizon.

Suwalki30M.png.74d30c4c6841cab739ef216a3847c51a.png

30M HGT

Speaking for myself, I wouldnt use it for urban warfare anyways, after all, it's suwalki gap. I checked the map and the rolling terrain in the Jaxa version looks very accurate.