Voice acting for SB scenarios. Thoughs?

Lumituisku

I have been thinking for this over year and half already.  Mostly because I would like to have others to voice act roles on missions I would do.  So as thinking goes, to get something, offer it first to others. 

So here it is.  I am planning to create a topic.  perhaps to Scenario and Maps section of forum.  Where I'm thinking that I would place my offer, and anyone else who is willing to offer their voice for voice acting on missions could do likewise. 

I think id like it to be pinned as well.   And not for discussion, hence this topic you're now reading. 

I do wonder as well...  what should be included on such...  perhaps sample of my voice of mimicking different situations and radio messages.  

I wonder what such examples could be? 

• Perhaps something that everyone on that topic could use as default so that difference in voice and style could be more easily recognized?   
  • Maybe as well so on different languages  as addition to English I am native Finnish speaker.  
  • In what form such sample could be posted to this forum - youtube video? or perhaps to upload it somewhere where audio can be played.

One thing i am wondering as well need.  Is there need / interest to use voice messages for scenarios beyond my own?

I could as well do a voice pack for audio messages to replace some crew voices, like...  maybe a commander of tank, to make gunnery tutorial more easy and immersive.  

Or maybe...  maybe to do a collection of words / pieces of sentences from where a full sentence could be build up.   Like putting together different call-sign words, number words, place names, task sentences to form a full message.  how would that sound?

Thoughts? 

You can have audio tracks as Events in a scenario.

The issue with them is that if you record a lot (i.e. long) of sound the audio file gets quite large and then you need embed those audio files with the scenario (IIRC).

If you are talking about replacing the various audio files "in game" then you need to be careful as there are lots of different files (I think over 200 per language) which are played in certain situations.

If you replace "Up" with "Rubber Balloon" (or something else) then you are going to get that file throughout and it may happen when you don't want it to.

This thread maybe of interest:

Edited by Gibsonm

29 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

Or maybe...  maybe to do a collection of words / pieces of sentences from where a full sentence could be build up.   Like putting together different call-sign words, number words, place names, task sentences to form a full message.  how would that sound?

I would definitely not recommend trying to "build" dialogue this way. Unless you are VERY good at audio production, it'll sound strange, and unnatural. Think the computer generated voices from the original ARMA (10 o'clock, rifleman at 300 meters!)

Probably the best option would be to just ask for voice actors, give them a script of what you want them to say, and go from there. Obviously, there may be quality issues with variances in microphones used, etc, but if you are making everything sound lo-fi, like on an FM radio, it shouldn't matter too much. 

There could be a repository of "samples" for voice actors, if there is a large number who want to offer their services. Honestly though, I don't know if the number of voice actors on SteelBeasts.com warrants that, as compared to something like Newgrounds. 

I've thought about this before...Since we have the ability to add sound to scenarios.

I wonder if maybe it would be good to create a "scripting" form for scenario designers.  Ask that the scenario be developed into a "finalized" version where only bugfixes will need to be done, and then the author can post it up with a script and ask for volunteers to play the roles, by reading off the sections of the script.

10 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

The issue with them is that if you record a lot (i.e. long) of sound the audio file gets quite large and then you need embed those audio files with the scenario (IIRC).

A good point.  It makes me wonder if mission designers would be smarter to use only short clips and draw the players attention to the message window at the bottom to read the rest.  Kinda like how early DOS games with digitized speech used to use a short clip in some cases and put the other data up for the player to read, just using the short clip to get the player to know to look for the message.

"Alpha Six Six this is Alpha Three One (radio static)"

37 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

There could be a repository of "samples" for voice actors, ...

I guess the challenge there is that:

"The enemy is attacking / breaking through / holding / withdrawing on the left / right" becomes a library of what 8 different audio files.

Add

"The enemy Tanks/ APCs / IFVs / Infantry is attacking / breaking through / holding / withdrawing on the left / right" it becomes a library of what 32 different audio files.

As each file needs to be unique to the situation ("The enemy Tanks/ APCs / IFVs / Infantry is attacking / breaking through / holding / withdrawing on the left / right of hill XXX"), the repository becomes quite large.

If however you ask one person to provide audio files for one scenario (say a British accent or whatever) then you could tailor the files to suit your needs, as long as they don't get too big.

Edited by Gibsonm

@Gibsonm Sorry, I think I used the wrong word. "Sample Library" might be more appropriate. Something similar to an audition; you read some standard script in whatever language you are proficient in, and that can be used by mission designers to select what type of voice actor they want. You probably don't want someone with a heavy British accent to voice an American Tank Platoon Leader, for example. 

I have tested how the mission is with voices that are added to events, and I liked the results I got.

It is rather easy actually, and there cannot be that many voices in the end as there cannot be that many events either. 64 is limit I think, if every event would have voice file added.  

And yes. I am aware of these problems you guys have mentioned. All those things have ups and downs.  Some significant some less so.  In the end, this adds lot of workload to one who makes scenario, and I think it is worth it if done well. Hence I am offering my service to such.  And I hope that later others would as well.

BTW when I added voices to my scenarios where I have tried this. I did editing of sound to get it sound like radio message.  It is not that difficult to do.  Though... I think that would be best for Scenario designer to do to get it to ones liking. 

Would someone be interested to have my voice or someone else's voice on your scenario. What would one want to know of them / their voice / and so on? 

While I am somewhat experienced as actor and have some minor record to proof that (although old). I am not good enough at immersive play of two or more different persons.  At-least not yet

Also I am very interested of putting great effort behind such offer, as I have high trust that it would add immersion to Steelbeast.  Especially so if such would be used for tutorial, step by step scenarios of learning things like systems or tactics.  Maybe it would make Steelbeast slightly more user friendly, as I have itch that not many new users are that interested of reading walls of text

From my own part...   when I would be asked to do voice acting.  Id aim to do it roughly in a week.  Given that there would not be too many hours of it to do. Small amount of such could be done within same day on ideal circumstances.  

You can try me if you wish.  Just give me written dialogue and knowledge of what kind of role and situation the person is I am supposed to act on each scrip.  That It would be as immersive as possible with my voice.

• Members
52 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

I have tested how the mission is with voices that are added to events, and I liked the results I got.

It is rather easy actually, and there cannot be that many voices in the end as there cannot be that many events either. 64 is limit I think, if every event would have voice file added.

64, yes... per party...

3 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

I think its a great idea. Removes that sterile feeling from the sim. I recommend you use DCS SRS mod (just the radio beep queue) and audacity low pass filter then high pass filter. I can help you with my voice and technical if needed. 

Interesting.  I don't know what that is but it sounds good. I have Audacity and in past I did some filtering there or something to get my test samples to sound bit more like radio messages. 

I take it that you have know how on these matters?  Anything that will help me to create better results is welcome! 

1 hour ago, Lumituisku said:

Interesting.  I don't know what that is but it sounds good. I have Audacity and in past I did some filtering there or something to get my test samples to sound bit more like radio messages. 

I take it that you have know how on these matters?  Anything that will help me to create better results is welcome! 

High pass filters cut low-end frequencies, allowing the highs to "pass." Low pass filters cut high-end frequencies, allowing the lows to "pass." These are normally used during music production, to "clean up a mix" by getting rid of unwanted low and high frequencies. With creating a radio sound, what you are doing is narrowing the output frequency to make it more within the mid-range, giving you more of a lo-fi radio sound. You'll have a much more aggressive cutoff for frequencies on the low and high end. 

You'll get something like this without much effort: 

Obviously, it works a lot better with a good voice actor who can "sell" what he is saying. 

Edited by Mirzayev

4 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

Maybe I went too far ahead of myself in the technical department but it is as @Mirzayev described. I'm no audio giggety expert but you could add the in/out after radio beep/whoosh from SRS into this and export to a recognisable format for sb and you're good to go. For voice, I'd be cautious around here because alot of the guys are active service military personnel, and afaik their voice must be obtained with a prior consent. I once had a cultural misunderstanding with @Gibsonm when I recorded his voice in a session and later displayed it on youtube. I was a bit fuzzy on the rules. Just saying obtain peoples permissions if you're recording them too in any session so you dont step on nobodys toes. I'd be happy to help if you require my voice audition samples, also as @Mirzayev suggested.

As I understand it, he is offering to provide the voice, not recording others.

Personally I think unless someone is fantastic with accents its application is limited.

For example my Australian accent would never pass muster as a Russian / Finn / Swede, etc. Therefore with all due respect Lumi, I think I'd be only asking you for "Scandinavian" voice content.

To achieve the range of accents required, you're going to need a pool of people.

Edited by Gibsonm

8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

As I understand it, he is offering to provide the voice, not recording others.

Personally I think unless someone is fantastic with accents its application is limited.

For example my Australian accent would never pass muster as a Russian / Finn / Swede, etc. Therefore with all due respect Lumi, I think I'd be only asking you for "Scandinavian" voice content.

To achieve the range of accents required, you're going to need a pool of people.

Far from limited. I think its great to add even to the general atmosphere of the mission. Maybe we should ask Barbara Streissand instead 😂

14 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

Far from limited. I think its great to add even to the general atmosphere of the mission. Maybe we should ask Barbara Streissand instead 😂

OK, you are welcome to fill your missions with as many audio snips as you like, but IMHO someone with a thick country X accent is not going to come across as being someone from country Y.

3 hours ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

Sorry I dont understand you.

Well I'm trying to avoid resorting to racist /nationalistic stereotypes.

However (apologies up front as this is just meant for discussion).

You are in a British Battlegroup and suddenly you hear audio content from one of your "British" call signs (sub units) that is a US Southern Drawl *, the Swedish Chief from the Muppets *, a heavy Russian accent * or some other strong accent. How does that help your immersion in a "British" scenario?

IMHO you need a British set of voices for a British scenario (Cockney, Public School, Geordie, Liverpudlian, Scotts, Irish, Welsh), a set of German voices for a German Scenario, a set of Country X voices for a Country X scenario, ...

A single person, can't provide all of those unless they a very talented.

So you need a team of people, each from one of the X nations in SB Pro Pe, ready to provide the audio content you need to suit your scenario.

Is that clearer?

* Again my apologies for if anyone thought I was making a direct negative comment about their nationality.

Edited by Gibsonm

16 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Well I'm trying to avoid resorting to racist /nationalistic stereotypes.

However (apologies up front as this is just meant for discussion).

You are in a British Battlegroup and suddenly you hear audio content from one of your "British" call signs (sub units) that is a US Southern Drawl, the Swedish Chief from the Muppets, a heavy Russian accent or some other strong accent. How does that help your immersion in a "British" scenario?

IMHO you need a British set of voices for a British scenario, a set of German voices for a German Scenario, a set of Country X voices for a Country X scenario, ...

A single person, can't provide all of those unless they a very talented.

So you need a team of people, each from one of the X nations in SB Pro Pe, ready to provide the audio content you need to suit your scenario.

Is that clearer?

oh yes its very clear to me that these nationalities dont have mixed races that also enroll in the same forces. am I correct? 

• Members

It will break immersion for some people, as is evident from this thread.

For a British force you could accept a number of accents - Scottish, Midlands, Walisian, Irish even, maybe two London variants - but _I_ couldn't credibly fake a British voice because I'm not a professional actor with months of a voice trainer (and even they often get it wrong).

There's seven or eight easily distinguishable accents within German (Coastal, Rhineland, Bavarian, Swabian, Saxonian, Russo- and Turk German(yes!), Lower Saxonian) which you could credibly hear in the German army. But it's extremely unlikely to find someone in the Bundeswehr speaking German with an English accent, or a French one.

You might not hear the difference, others will.

• Members

So if you want to do it right, and if immersion is the goal you have to, you can't add voice snippets from just half a dozen enthusiastic speakers. You need a dozen dozen different voice actors to cover even a minimal range of languages.

YES. What I have read here points and discussions are valid. 

Also my English has been descriped horrible in past in such way that left me no doupts of it. So yes. That too is valid and awknowledged point.

However... As is see this is not as making one of your extremely detailed and realistic missions better. No. That I cannot do with my voice. Not even with my native voice as even that is questionable to many native Finnish people I have met who keep insisting that I am a foreigner when I am not.

>>>I am accent hater because of that. <<< 

So obviously I do not qualify for painstakingly created scenarios.  However.. where I believe I do more than qualify to is as scenarios for beginners. To make things more beginner friendly and more easily approachable.  That is where adding voice clips from various people could be taken to good use. And to such I am devoted. I look forward to making creations that are meant for beginners and casual players more easy to approach and user friendly. 

And yes. I'd be more than happy to use voices of others as well. That actually was intention from very beginning. To offer mine and to have access to others. 

This accent discussion is one major benefit of this thread. That I might have overlooked later on. So I am very happy that is was mentioned and it's importance to some people was pointed out. So clearly. Would there be list or topic created of voice actors. Accent would be one major thing to list and required sample from by those who offer their voice acting to scenarios. 

I wonder... What else will come up.