The 4.155 Beta live stream

Gibsonm

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Well, I suppose that's the risk of handing a beta version to a Youtuber even if the email had clear instructions how to apply the patch. And people wonder why I'm holding back everything to the last minute. That's why.

Shoulda sent a beta to me. :) 

Yeah, not too impressive on the FPS front. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Perhaps a betting indicator of likely performance (newer than 4.155):

Yeah but this video doesn't have the same intensity as the bad FPS video. This also isn't showcasing the new terrain: terrain is as flat as a pool table and has no clutter detail.

The highlight of this patch is the terrain, yeah? Videos should be promoting the hell out of it.

Edited by Apocalypse 31

12 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Yeah but this video doesn't have the same intensity as the bad FPS video. This also isn't showcasing the new terrain: terrain is as flat as a pool table and has no clutter detail.

The highlight of this patch is the terrain, yeah? Videos should be promoting the hell out of it.

Yes but that's a bit of a double edged sword too.

No point in "promoting the hell out if it" if not every map ever made doesn't instantly take advantage of it (I know its been explained well before here, but if you put out a video focused on terrain, the average YouTube watcher, that doesn't come here, will assume its a built in for everything and then be upset when the one bespoke map they want to use doesn't have the underlying high resolution data required).

Just now, Apocalypse 31 said:

You would be surprised at how many current, active SB players who think they're going to fire up 4.1 and see a whole new game (terrain-wise).

Which is likely to only increase if you "promote the hell out of" the new terrain. :)

Guess we'll all know in a fortnight. :)

• Members
4 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I suspect that the video absolutely is comparable, assuming that the reason for the frame rate decay in Matsimus' streamed video is the fact that without the patch applied old particles don't get removed from the queue, and therefore clog the graphics card. That happens with a lot of dust or without; in fact, Grenny's video is probably more CPU intensive than what Matsimus bashed together in his zero preparation stream.

Likewise, as far as the terrain goes, it's a matter of applying proper theme files and picking lighting that helps to accentuate the higher resolution. If the terrain theme has near-zero bumpiness for most of the terrain, it will look flat and the vehicle suspension won't show much activity. Consequently, if there are no bumps they cannot be shaded according to the sun position. And if 12:00 o'clock (or sunset) is chosen as the time of day the terrain won't create much variation in the lighting, as shown in the Africa video that I made a few weeks ago.

I'm not an NDA wielding control freak when it comes to releasing videos past the point where I break the silence. Which means you get the full truth, even if it's not representative of the best possible results, or even downright misleading in a case where a certain patch is not applied as explicitly instructed.

I saw the video live transmision yesterday and my only comment is that the video didn‘t particulary focus in any of the new features of 4.1 I was expecting to see, at least during the time I was watching it.

So basically we had a single player video doing a demonstration that could have been done with the 4.0 release version.

In my oppinion to show the true potential of Steel Beasts in a video, there is nothing better than the large multiplayer sessions organized here. Maybe you guys can invite Maximus to make such livestream during one of the regular large MP session once 4.1 is released.

Steel Beasts Pro Pe shines real bright in MP

Edited by Furia

My 2 cents;

1) Live streaming is over-rated, and in a MP session creates a possibility that people may cheat.

2) Matsimus isnt the only person on the internet that makes videos of SB gameplay, there will be plenty of 'content' generated to showcase the qualities and features of 4.1 in due time

Edited by Bond_Villian

Ok, so I don't come on here often to debate and chat on the forums as I have seen where it can go sometimes. But when people are privately contacting me telling me that people are calling me out, I'm a little taken back.

Firstly, SSnake, if you have a concerns with my stream and my:

"Matsimus bashed together in his zero preparation stream." or the fact I did not have a patch installed "even downright misleading in a case where a certain patch is not applied as explicitly instructed."

then maybe come speak to me and tell me that. I have worked hard to assist trying to sell your product and promote this community. Little shocked to see that kind of dialogue coming to light.

Secondly, as I mentioned in the beginning of the stream, the stream was not there to showcase the new update but merely INFORM people it was close to coming out and that I had started to take a look at it. I did not want to disclose too much for a few reasons. I just wanted to play the game and even said that MANY times as per 4.0. The reasons I did not want to focus on the updates are:

- I had been away from SB Pro for some time and therefore had not been able to get fully settled back into the game. Sadly I don't have the time to relearn the game heavily. Maybe I have always sucked, I will accept that. 

- Just like a kid at Xmas I wanted to ensure the community had the chance to be excited and be in a place where things were not spoiled 

- I was out of respect wanting to make sure I did not misinform the community of the features as I don't do well reading from a list of features and then explaining them if I did not make them

- The stream was meant to PROMOTE THE GAME. Not showcase the update. And considering the number of people watching (250 or so) and the questions being asked about where to buy it.....I think I succeeded.

- I knew that if I showcased things that I got wrong, things like this would happen, and the community would be upset. Which clearly from the sounds of it....some are.

- Finally I wanted to ensure that the people watching the stream focused on the fact that its not all about serious tactics and strategy. Its nice to enjoy the game in a way where I am not being called out for making a wrong move or decision. Its called fun and that's what I do when I come on to play games. Enjoy them. Hell, I could of spent 3 hours talking about how I would create my battle plan and discuss the AAR etc etc. But guess what, most people want to watch interesting game-play. Not tactics which they can learn as they play with us as a community.

I have done NOTHING but love this game and respect those who play it in this community. It seems like maybe I am doing something wrong where people don't agree. Fair enough, this is a open forum and I appreciate criticism. The FPS were not fixed with the patch, to me its not a big deal......its a game, it will get sorted one way or another. I installed everything again, reinstalled, removed the game completely and reset. No change, I was losing FPS. My computer is not a potato either. But I find it fascinating that I am being called out for it by so many. 

Its safe to say that future updates and showcasing of this game will not be coming towards me. I accept that and understand that maybe it was not the best introduction to 4.1. Is that my fault? Maybe. But I'm not sure coming here to light me up about it is the best option.

Lots of YouTubers can be given this update and game and showcase it for you guys. I would welcome that they do it. As clearly I am not doing things right. 

Lets hope future content I produce for SB pro is up to your standards.

Regards

Matt J

Matsimus

On 7/13/2019 at 5:14 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

Unfortunate. He generates a ton of viewers, and this is not representative of the final product.

Maybe he can pull the video? There's not much out there on 4.1 and this will probably dominate YouTube content before release.

Oh and dont worry. 

Your wish is my command.

• Moderators

Thanks for the videos Matsimus.  Much appreciated.  I think there is always a tendency for the comments to make a mountain out of a mole hill when we get close to a release. Stuff happens, as they say.

Also, everyone should understand that every screenshot and video that is available before 4.1 release is not representative of the release.

But seriously, no videos need to be taken down. All that is needed is probably just any pre-release video should have a short disclaimer in the video's description that 'its from a beta, and does not represent the final product'.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the fact that I haven't pissed on everyone's Weetabix. But I wont lie I am a little disheartened in general over the fact people are so negative over it. So the video has been taken down. Im not here to frustrate anyone. So to save face for the game more than me, its down.

Future footage will be "pre screened" now with people prior to release. Other than the Area 51 footage which was again for fun. In the 4.0 status. I wont remove that. No way.

Apocalypse 31 was just jealous Matt, dont worry about it, and Ssanke was more than happy you showed it, he more than likely was in here just pointing out a patch wasn't applied. 

it's those kinds of comments that made me quit showing youtube videos and such. not only that but youtubes algorithm changes.

Edited by Wolfseven

1 hour ago, RogueSnake79 said:

Yeah, I think the amount ball breaking here has been OP.   I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say thanks for taking the time, and trying to promote the game to your audience. 

This. I couldn’t watch the entire stream bit appreciate the vid and your stuff in general @matsimus

At the risk of further complicating this thread (perhaps merge all the Matsimus stream comments into a separate thread?)

@matsimus 

I did not like your stream. Here are my reasons why.

1. You are lacking on the fundamentals of maneuvering and fighting your vehicle. I got it, you haven't played Steel Beasts since at least February of this year (date is based on your last published video using Steel Beasts). However, there is a reasonable expectation from the community that if you are going to showcase a game, you need to have some level of proficiency. This is also taking into account that in the past, you have advertised that you will give your viewers exclusive access to tactics, techniques, and procedures in Steel Beasts if they support you with a specific dollar amount on Patreon. I know this is no longer your policy. I won't comment on tactics; seizing urban terrain is a very complex process which will produce a high level of casualties. Even with a fully manned Company in multiplayer, even the best of the community can still muck it up.

2. The stream did not do a good job of promoting Steel Beasts in a positive light. The low FPS is of course an obvious, but blaring issue. Whether you intended to or not, thousands of viewers' "first look" at Steel Beasts version 4.1 will be seeing footage of what they may perceive as a non-optimized mess. 

3. It seemed rushed. Your (admitted) lack of preparation, combined with not testing the scenario for performance before streaming, nor seeking help for any issues from the community, culminated in something that was not enjoyable to watch. While you make the point that the stream was meant to promote the game itself, other members of the Steel Beasts community (to include the creator himself) and I have the impression, wrong though it may be, that you were rushing to try to be the "first" to stream 4.1 gameplay. 

I'm not a fan of non-constructive criticism. Therefor, I offer the following advice on how you could improve for your next video featuring Steel Beasts. 

1. Hit the tank range, hard! Whenever I feel myself getting sloppy during any multiplayer matches, I'll make it a point to refresh on the fundamentals of gunnery. I train until I cannot get less than a 100% accuracy rating with an average time-to-kill of 8 seconds or less. This takes time, so you may want to try for something like a 90% accuracy rating with an average time-to-kill of 10 seconds or less if you don't have more than an hour to train on the gunner range. That is definitely doable. Also, refresh your understanding of tactics. Play some Camp Hornfelt scenarios again, then graduate to Tank Platoon in Attack, and Tank Company in Attack by @Zipuli. After that, try some scenarios by @Panzer_Leader, like Combat Team Advance at Woodhill 1994, or Attack on Stadthagen by @Apocalypse 31. Hell, you could record yourself playing these, and highlight some of the Steel Beasts community's creations. 

2. I will never publish a video of me playing a single-player Steel Beasts scenario without having tested it at least one time. I know that my specific audience doesn't want to spend time watching me make easily preventable mistakes. Your audience may be different, I don't know. However, if I was testing a beta version of Steel Beasts, and having your love and respect for the community, I would absolutely want to make sure that I am presenting the latest update (that many are excited for) in as positive a light as I possibly could. Messaging is the key here. If your purpose is to bring Steel Beasts to a wider audience, show and tell them WHY they are justified in buying it, and present footage that MAKES them want to give it a try. 

3. I understand the live nature of streams versus the much more controlled published videos. Live doesn't always follow the script, and there is a light more inherent spontaneity. Don't be rushed to push out a video to be the "first;" don't rush to failure. Train to a suitable level of proficiency, select a scenario, preferably one that you have played or tested at least once, that showcases what you want to show to your viewers. You can always modify scenarios to include new vehicles from 4.1, and this gives the added bonus of hi-lighting a scenario designer from the community who spent hours, even days, ensuring that his creation was the best that it could possibly be. 

If you need any help with any of the above points, I'm sure that the community will be happy to help. I can help you with your tactics, if you wish. Just let me know.

*Ahem* Now, on to other matters.

@Wolfseven Unless you happen to have a direct psychic link with @Apocalypse 31, I would not be so hasty to dismiss everything that he has said as being "just jealous." Many of his points are shared by members of the Steel Beasts community, whether you agree with them or not. 

2 hours ago, matsimus said:

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the fact that I haven't pissed on everyone's Weetabix. But I wont lie I am a little disheartened in general over the fact people are so negative over it. So the video has been taken down. Im not here to frustrate anyone. So to save face for the game more than me, its down.

Future footage will be "pre screened" now with people prior to release. Other than the Area 51 footage which was again for fun. In the 4.0 status. I wont remove that. No way.

I do respect the fact that you do Youtube for (in part) a living. So that you take time to represent Steelbeasts on your channel: Thanks for that!!

Could it have been done better?

IMO Yes!

But I'm not the one judging on how you employ your resources...

I watched the streams and some of my suggestions for a improved stream after paying attention to comments are:

1- Some of the commenters were completely new Steel Beasts.

2- People were asking about system requirements, given the fact that this is a military training tool, common knowledge suggests high end PC, when in fact anyone with even a i7 4770k like myself can enjoy it fully.

3- Some watchers, like myself, were more interested in the new features of 4.1. From the video itself, I could spot only a few changes that were not mentioned by the Mat during the video. I think that with a bit of preparation, some, if not most new features could have been exploited in a single live streamed scenario.

4- Some watchers asked about the damage modeling. The AAR could have been used to show the capabilities of Steel Beasts, but more importantly, a description of Steel Beasts is a pro tactical training tool and has the damage modeling that is required for that.

5- No mention was given to the forums.

6- The video should have been a multiplayer, otherwise, more attention should have been given to the mission editor.

• Members

I should clarify that I see absolutely no malicious intent or ill will from Matsimus.

Also, I do not see him obligated to present our product in the most positive light.

He was given a beta version and "explicit" but apparently insufficiently detailed instructions how to apply a patch that required more than just the replacement of an executable. This is an error-prone procedure which, in a live situation, is impossible to rectify. I do not wish to further escalate the situation, and I apologize if I created the false impression that anything of this was intentional. The responsibility for bad preparation lies at least in part at my feet. I was eager to give you all an impression of what you're waiting for, rather than waiting for another week to hand out a release candidate version rather than a beta that required extensive patching.

Please be nice. Matsimus was just as eager as anyone else to try out the new toy. I wouldn't have chosen a live stream as the first thing to do, but maybe that's why eSim Games barely has 0.5% of the YouTube subscribers that his channel has. If you go live, there's always the risk that something goes wrong, and it was a first time experience for me as well to see Steel Beasts streamed live and being unable to influence the situation for the better. Like many others I tried to make helpful comments in the chat, only adding to the confusion, so I think the lesson to learn is to try relax a bit more in the final days prior to a new software release - on all sides.

The lesson learnt for me is. Don't place footage of SB pro on the channel anymore lol. Seems to me like the community has had a bee in its bonnet beyond just the streamed content lol! So to prevent further "exposure" to the Youtube world of such bad tactics, skills, product description Ill just not publish it.

Damage control only goes so far when someone truly believes that the "damage" made to a product isnt a big deal (which in this case, isnt). To me I am still getting the sense that you think Im some screw up who cant apply patches. So Ill just accept that and move on. As for my sense of tactics and skills in game, sure, I suck lol I will take that also. I wish I was only as "professional" as the game title states as some of the members in this community 🙂

Thanks again to those who supported my content. I appreciate it. 

Enjoy your highly tactical, realistic and strategic multiplayer gameplay! 🙂 

Regards

M

3 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

I watched the streams and some of my suggestions for a improved stream after paying attention to comments are:

1- Some of the commenters were completely new Steel Beasts.

2- People were asking about system requirements, given the fact that this is a military training tool, common knowledge suggests high end PC, when in fact anyone with even a i7 4770k like myself can enjoy it fully.

3- Some watchers, like myself, were more interested in the new features of 4.1. From the video itself, I could spot only a few changes that were not mentioned by the Mat during the video. I think that with a bit of preparation, some, if not most new features could have been exploited in a single live streamed scenario.

4- Some watchers asked about the damage modeling. The AAR could have been used to show the capabilities of Steel Beasts, but more importantly, a description of Steel Beasts is a pro tactical training tool and has the damage modeling that is required for that.

5- No mention was given to the forums.

6- The video should have been a multiplayer, otherwise, more attention should have been given to the mission editor.

1- Your point?

2- i7 4770K is still roughly $355 here in canada. if that isnt the building blocks to a higher end PC.....

3- I explained my reasons. not chomping at the bit on that. I wasnt there to showcase the update.

4 - I wasnt going to go into an AAR talking about damage modelling if I dont know about it,
5- LOL! So I am supposed to now showcase a community who is quite happy to jump on my head the moment ONE stream goes wrong.......??

6- The video wasnt multiplayer though was it, because imagine the shit show of trying to make that work with other people too. Plus the update was only given to me as far as I know, so how would that have worked? And if I had done the mission editor, then it would have been boring as sin.

11 minutes ago, matsimus said:

The lesson learnt for me is. Don't place footage of SB pro on the channel anymore lol. Seems to me like the community has had a bee in its bonnet beyond just the streamed content lol! So to prevent further "exposure" to the Youtube world of such bad tactics, skills, product description Ill just not publish it.

Damage control only goes so far when someone truly believes that the "damage" made to a product isnt a big deal (which in this case, isnt). To me I am still getting the sense that you think Im some screw up who cant apply patches. So Ill just accept that and move on. As for my sense of tactics and skills in game, sure, I suck lol I will take that also. I wish I was only as "professional" as the game title states as some of the members in this community 🙂

Thanks again to those who supported my content. I appreciate it. 

Enjoy your highly tactical, realistic and strategic multiplayer gameplay! 🙂 

Regards

M

I watched your stream, thanks for streaming the new version. Matt, why didn’t you take it a little more serious and test the missions that you were going to stream? I mean this company trusted you with their new product and you stream it as like a little kid with a new bag of skittles. Also there was some communication failure which happens everywhere all the time. So that was just an unfortunate event. Many of us do appreciate your stream but please understand that many of us have been looking forward to this update for years. So maybe next time take it just a little more serious and understand the important and impact that you may have with a new product.

Edited by Assassin 7