New Version Bundle

CrackerJack

I've had a time limited license on and off 2-3 years ago.  Coming back I'm considering getting the CodeMeter stick.  I've looked at the New Version Bundle and have a couple of questions:

1 - The manual that's included does it cover all of the vehicles/units or is it the game engine manual only?

2 - What is the purpose of the Map Stick?  Why not simply download this content?

Cheers!

19 minutes ago, CrackerJack said:

I've had a time limited license on and off 2-3 years ago.  Coming back I'm considering getting the CodeMeter stick.  I've looked at the New Version Bundle and have a couple of questions:

1 - The manual that's included does it cover all of the vehicles/units or is it the game engine manual only?

2 - What is the purpose of the Map Stick?  Why not simply download this content?

Cheers!

I can't speak for number 1.

The Map Stick is so customers have an alternative way of getting all of the map files without having to download them. Different parts of the world have varying levels of internet infrastructure, and downloading large, multi-gig files is not always feasible. To my understanding, all of this content is downloadable. 

32 minutes ago, CrackerJack said:

No, user manual covers subjects like user interface, AI behavior, use of  scenario and map editors  etc. It is not focused on specific vehicles.

Map stick, first of all, contains  an installer for the map packages. Obviously download option will be provided too, but   download size will be substantial(let's say well over 10GB total), so map stick is  an alternative for those, who  cannot download large amount of data for the some reason.

• Members
43 minutes ago, CrackerJack said:

1. There is zero content about weapon system specific aspects. It's 221+ pages exclusively about Steel Beasts itself, and some addenda about armor technology in general to explain our approach to modelling combat vehicles. To learn about the vehicles we have tutorials (not enough of them, admittedly) and the SB Wiki (not enough of it, admittedly) but we simply don't have the manpower to take care of this without cutting our software development speed in half.
  2. You can simply download it, as already explained by Mirzayev. Some people like to own items, other have a crappy internet connection. Also you can store this and future versions of Steel Beasts on it, plus your most important own scenario files or whatnot. The thing is 32 GByte large, only about 20 are filled with the Map and the Steel Beasts installers

16 hours ago, CrackerJack said:

Cheers!

As I understand it is the bundled game manual. 

my guess is,  about limiting bandwidth consumption as the maps are big (30Gb) and IIRC the maps will be released as a download ahead of the game release to save time setting up.

6 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

As I understand it is the bundled game manual. 

my guess is,  about limiting bandwidth consumption as the maps are big (30Gb) and IIRC the maps will be released as a download ahead of the game release to save time setting up.

I'm afraid your understanding of the "bundle" is incorrect.

Its even detailed here:

https://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1530

As others have indicated above the bundle is:

CodeMeter stick will be shipped to you.
FREE one-month license while you wait for delivery.
Classic license version 4.1
32 GByte USB “Map Stick”
Printed version 4.1 User Manual

The USB stick will contain:

a. A copy of SB Pro Pe ver 4.1xx (whatever the release version is) so you have a copy on the stick. This includes a PDF of the manual (as do all SB Pro PE installs).

b. A set of the new maps - to provide a backup and avoid possible download / bandwidth issues, as discussed above.

As to eSim releasing the maps early, I doubt it, but we'll all find out over the next few days.

13 minutes ago, wildbillkelsoe said:

bundled means bundled with the game installation files, the docs folder. the one you keep mentioning in all of your posts. its not bundled as in bundled with the shipment envelope.

Whatever you think.

I'm sorry but we seem to be talking at cross purposes both here and in other threads.

I mean its right there in black and white on the sales page, but if you have different idea, run with it, but I'm not following you - I'm going with what's on the web page.

Edited by Gibsonm

54 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

Whatever you think.

I'm sorry but we seem to be talking at cross purposes both here and in other threads.

I mean its right there in black and white on the sales page, but if you have different idea, run with it, but I'm not following you - I'm going with what's on the web page.

I'm sorry but you dont have to follow me because I am trying to help OPs across threads. All of my talk goes to OPs. Also we are supposed to benefit one another here, even if I am wrong and you correct me in the proper manner, I dont mind. 

Edited by wildbillkelsoe

• Members

Can you please stop, it's getting silly now.

I have answered the original question 17 hours ago, and apparently to the satisfaction of the enquirer.

Bundle offers combine several physical items that will be shipped together

• CM Stick, printed manual, USB stick with installation files, surprise item
  • printed manual, USB stick with installation files, surprise item

Aside from the CM stick these items are not essential as the manual exists as a PDF, and the installation files can be downloaded. And even the CM stick is optional if you go for a time-based license.

Folks,

I'm a big fan of the platform. Great simulation ! The 4.1 work looks really cool.

I've been using a time-limited 4.0 for awhile now. Question on 4.1 and "PE" (Personal Edition) v.s. "Pro"...

As I have come to enjoy the sim so much, I want to get into making maps and getting a larger play area than the 22 SQ Kilometers.

I am looking at the 4.1 Pre-order screen on the site, and forgive me if I am being thick, but it appears to me the only product offerings are 4.1 PE (not full blown "Pro").

Is "pro" only offered to commercial/gov/mil clientele ?

Do I have any large-size map-making options with PE grade ?

Jim B.

(Former Sgt, US Army Cavalry / Aviation)

27 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yes.

27 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Jim B.

(Former Sgt, US Army Cavalry / Aviation)

Using the Pro PE software itself, No.

However, if you have say an area in mind you can ask on of the people here who can do it, to help you out.

Option 1: Post a request in the thread within the "Scenarios and Maps" section. This will take a while as it requires the terrain (the underlying shape of the ground) map to be created - this in turn requires the underlying data and you'll still need to add buildings, etc.

Option 2: If its a map that came with the Sim, but you want to use a larger section, then that's pretty quick to do - just send me a PM detailing the map and the relevant corner grid squares.

Edited by Gibsonm

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yes.

If you want a larger map you could post it in the map request thread under ”Scenarios and Maps.”  It might take a while and you will have to provide the needed information.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I am looking at the 4.1 Pre-order screen on the site, and forgive me if I am being thick, but it appears to me the only product offerings are 4.1 PE (not full blown "Pro").

Yes,  classroom version  is not available to general public.

Well, first of all, map editor of PE version  allows user to create terrain maps as large as underlying height map is, but it doesn't have functionality to  import DEM data to create new height map replicating on real-world location.  Also there is no ability to import GIS data for  the terrain  map.

But still you can create your own  terrain maps based on existing height maps  manually, or  you can ask someone with access to Pro version to make them  for you:

And speaking of this:

getting a larger play area than the 22 SQ Kilometers.

Play area larger than 21.97x21.97 km is Pro-specific feature.

Edited by Jartsev

12 minutes ago, Jartsev said:

Play area larger than 21.97x21.97 km is Pro-specific feature.

That's not fully correct (unless changed in 4.156).

Large maps created in SB Pro can be used in SB Pro PE.

e.g. Rolling Thunder '18 and the upcoming Rolling Thunder '19.

Edited by Gibsonm

28 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

That's not fully correct (unless changed in 4.156).

Large maps created in SB Pro can be used in SB Pro PE.

e.g. Rolling Thunder '18 and the upcoming Rolling Thunder '19.

Yes, but this applies only to scenarios created originally  in SB Pro. PE user  creating  scenario  in  SB Pro PE  from the scratch cannot select map area larger than limits mentioned above.

This maybe a very subtle definition issue, but I've used SB Pro to "create" a baseline scenario (map only)

Then edited that scenario in SB Pro PE (added units, scripting, etc.).

Then used it quite successfully in multi players sessions with other SB Pro PE users.

So in terms of bringing a *.sce file into existence you are right, but certainly using that "larger play area" is not limited to SB Pro users.

This sort of thing:

Edited by Gibsonm

Very helpful info fellas.

I think I can satisfy my map urges with a little help from the community, and the appropriate forum link.

My main driver for more battle-space, is to build dynamically variable scenarios with multiple rule-driven objectives at the company level with multiple platoons in cooperation. eg: Seize an airfield, or a village, so Player does not know exactly what is going to be asked of him each time.

GibsonM -  I may very well PM you one day soon ;)

I've gotten competent with the Map Editor, and understand the difference of the "terrain" (.ter files) - adjustable, and their underlying height maps, fixed.

Not gonna do much with my current scenarios, maps at this point, until we get 4.1, and evaluate the bump settings and effects on creating defilades etc.

Thanks again. You've got a good community on this board.

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

My main driver for more battle-space, is to build dynamically variable scenarios with multiple rule-driven objectives at the company level with multiple platoons in cooperation. eg: Seize an airfield, or a village, so Player does not know exactly what is going to be asked of him each time.

Just a friendly suggestion: please include ALL the major variables that might realistically be expected for the player to execute in the briefing so they can plan for it. It is one thing to introduce a variable of the enemy having air support, reinforcements arriving, different courses of action, etc. It is quite the other to expect someone to rapidly adapt to a major operation without any prompting (be prepared to or on order) and be successful. 

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Here are some of Ssnake's recent thoughts on terrain in 4.165 and going forward which maybe of benefit:

Indeed - saw this Gibsonm ... glad someone (think it was you ?) - pinned this, so we can come back to it later, for adjusting terrain for 4.1

2 hours ago, Mirzayev said:

please include ALL the major variables that might realistically be expected for the player to execute in the briefing so they can plan for it.

For sure Mirzayev. It's a fine art to write the briefing to balance giving the blue team enough info to know how to form a good plan, especially for recon, and not "spoon feed" the course(s) of action.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:50 PM, Jimbo said:

Very helpful info fellas.

I think I can satisfy my map urges with a little help from the community, and the appropriate forum link.

GibsonM -  I may very well PM you one day soon ;)

I've gotten competent with the Map Editor, and understand the difference of the "terrain" (.ter files) - adjustable, and their underlying height maps, fixed.

Not gonna do much with my current scenarios, maps at this point, until we get 4.1, and evaluate the bump settings and effects on creating defilades etc.

Thanks again. You've got a good community on this board.

If you need help in actually creating a map from scratch, I can help you with heightmaps, but you would still need to ask someone with a PRO version to import the DEM and GIS data.