SB Pro PE 2.4x Upgrade - Announcements & Discussion

Ssnake

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The technicals are way cool. I imagine scenarios of the Toyota War and new Thunder Runs for SB Pro soon. :) Also like the new T-72 alot, although one GDR decal is at the wrong place, none were put on the searchlight:

24yblsy.jpg

ok, i couldn't find any pictures of GDR T-72M1s, only Ms, and they had the decals on the front turret faces, which wasn't possible to do since the smoke grenades were in the space where the decals would be, so i went with what i could find.

which was the russian variant.

btw, is that a T-72M with smoke grenades attached in the front? the turret seems to slope quite a bit.

Edited by dejawolf

• Moderators

Well, here is the thing about the decal. If I am not mistaken, the most common place for an emblem of sorts (generally speaking, not just for the DDR) was on the IR searchlight cover. In the case of the DDR, I am not sure we can definitively say that not one single tank in the DDR had it painted on the IR searchlight cover, although the photos of some tanks do show it on the turret.

The decals *must* be a standard place, so Raino chose to map the decal to the IR searchlight cover. The decals are not part of the vehicle's texture. Since this is a common place for decal like Guards and other markings from say, middle eastern nations, then it was mapped to be placed there -- the most common place. Is this really that important? :confused:

Modders can choose to change the decal image to some other emblem or making them transparent altogether. The real beauty of it is, you can have different decals for red and blue, and these are independent of the texture itself. I don't think the location per se is of vital importantance. In the US Army at least, the emblems and locations may differ from organization to organization.

those are not T-72M1s, but Ms with smoke grenades.

here's some ID features:

2vbv81dareMs.jpg

and here's a real T-72M1/A:

finnisht72M1.jpg

you can see the distance between smoke grenades and 12.7mm ammo boxes is a lot larger,

almost the length of an ammo box. this is because of the thicker front turret armour over the T-72M

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!

so, when Ssnake used the word "decal" for the DDR marking earlier, that wasn't faux pas? Ssnake, you really mean DECALS? This will be awesome... IF you mean decals, does this mean that we can CHANGE the position of the decals, add to the number of them, etc?

If we can't add to them currently, or move them someone might really want to consider allowing that instead of "fixing" them. besdies, as you know, not every country uses the same locations for vehicle IDs, and so forth.

we would be able to really vary some skins now...

i made a rediculously detailed set of markings for the F-15 added to Strike fighters a million years ago using decals for ALL the markings (NOT A STEP, etc - all of them).

it's pretty nice to be able to put them anywhere. IIRC, the way it worked in that flight sim was that you defined a specific part of the model, then the coordinates on that part, and the size; i.e., fuselage_left, 130.2, 125.0, 1.0. although i can see where it might become difficult with tanks -- more boxes and other parts hanging around. nothing much hanging off an aircraft other than pylons and weapons. although they are seperate models/parts, so they don't really get in the way...

well, however it works out. i'm really looking forward to it!

• Moderators
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!

If we can't add to them currently, or move them someone might really want to consider allowing that instead of "fixing" them. besdies, as you know, not every country uses the same locations for vehicle IDs, and so forth.

I have an idea, why don't we just remove the decals altogether? ;)

The point here is, the decals are simply there to give a little character to otherwise characterless vehicles. Modders can then do what they want with them, but they are mapped to certain areas of the vehicle. I just got through saying, what is so important about the exact location of the decals, as much as it is that they are in a relatively common place to allow people to make their own? If you want to add things in other places then they will just have to be put on the texture itself. No matter what happens, not everyone will be satisfied.

3)however, some of the predefined areas are left "intentionally blank" ;)

There you go, you can all have an Easter Egg hunt of sorts, figuring out where all the decal locations are and complaining about where they aren't.

Edited by Volcano
dyslexic typo

you're missing my point volcano...i'm satisfied no matter how it's implemented.

well, however it works out. i'm really looking forward to it!

i'm merely asking how it's being implemented and suggesting posible alternatives. chatting it up with Deja right now in chat about it. hell, when it works out, that is probably the next thing i'd start skinning. there are lots of great skins out there. adding marking sets to each one would be awesome. i understand it's not implemented that way now. but only after i asked a few questions while sharing my experiences with them and making a few suggestions did i learn that.

p.s. the REAL easter egg hunt would be bugging Deja to tell us the specific names of specific parts of specific vehicles THEN searching around for the right coordinates to get it "on" the model, proportioned and positioned correctly. the models are buried away, so moders couldn't open them and read the specific names of specific parts. we'd have to bug him...again. Deja would stop answering his PM. ;)

• Moderators

Ok I missed that, yes. But correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't "suggesting possible alternatives" imply that you would not be happy with it "however it works out", and that it would instead mean that you would be happy with it only if it works out a certain way? ;) That is all I was saying:

"No matter what happens, not everyone will be satisfied."