Free for all?

coptrn

I'm trying to create a free for all map for a few friends, and I can't find an "If, then" statement to match what I am looking for. The goal would be to be able to have 2-4 friends on a map, and if there is no player for a team, the team does not spawn. Is this possible? If so, then how might I go about doing it, and how would I set it up to where if all "enemy teams" were destroyed, the session ends?

18 minutes ago, coptrn said:

I'm trying to create a free for all map for a few friends, and I can't find an "If, then" statement to match what I am looking for. The goal would be to be able to have 2-4 friends on a map, and if there is no player for a team, the team does not spawn. Is this possible? If so, then how might I go about doing it, and how would I set it up to where if all "enemy teams" were destroyed, the session ends?

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt it.

Team /side participants are determined before the scenario loads.

You need the Host (a person) to allocate people per side. They would need to say person 1 is on side A, person 2 is on side B, etc. Dare I say it, there is no "match maker" here.

If no one is allocated to a given side and the units are "player controlled" than they'd just sit parked for the duration as there would be no one to control them.

Edited by Gibsonm

ok, so, to accomplish what I have in mind, I would need to create different versions of the senario, a 2player, 3player and 4 player. If I am understanding correctly, now, is there a way for each player to not have a preditermined vehicle? i.e. Player assigned to team 2, can choose from 4 different vehicles, and the one they choose, spawns while the others do not?

4 minutes ago, coptrn said:

ok, so, to accomplish what I have in mind, I would need to create different versions of the senario, a 2player, 3player and 4 player. If I am understanding correctly, now, is there a way for each player to not have a preditermined vehicle? i.e. Player assigned to team 2, can choose from 4 different vehicles, and the one they choose, spawns while the others do not?

Well yes again before the mission starts, people select their vehicle from a list of available ones on a given side.

I'm not aware of any way to script in the mission editor that they can not have vehicle A if they have used it before.

Not sure what time zone you are in but if you come along to TGIF in about 3.5hours you can see how multi player works.

Edited by Gibsonm

52 minutes ago, coptrn said:

You can script it so that if a preponderance of vehicles, all tanks as an example, are in a spawn region then the mission fails for that player and loses.  You need to assign points, each unit costs so much but you can't spend all the points on one type.  It can be done but it will take a while for you to set it up correctly with lots of testing.   

Edited by CalAB

• Members

There's yet another option, but that depends on the session host knowing what he's doing.

You could create a Trigger for three, and one for four parties. Reference these Blue triggers in a Blue condition or event. The spawn condition for party Green could then be "...if Blue Condition/Event 'Trigger 3 parties'" OR "...if Blue Condition/Event 'Trigger 4 parties'" are true. Party Purple would only spawn on Blue condition "Trigger 4 parties".

4 hours ago, coptrn said:

The goal would be to be able to have 2-4 friends on a map, and if there is no player for a team, the team does not spawn. Is this possible? 

Each party (team) must have a unit of some kind in the assembly area in order for a player to join that party (lets say its a rifle team), the player could then spawn that sides units by trigger once the action phase begins.

4 hours ago, coptrn said:

, and how would I set it up to where if all "enemy teams" were destroyed, the session ends?

For each side make an event that states:

"If friendly operational AFV is less than 1"

&

"mission time is greater than 1 minute"

You could name these events something like 'red side no afv' / 'grey side no afv' / 'green side no afv' etc.

Then you have a blue 'end if' condition that references these 'no afv' conditions and ends the scenario if its true.

3 hours ago, coptrn said:

is there a way for each player to not have a preditermined vehicle? i.e. Player assigned to team 2, can choose from 4 different vehicles, and the one they choose, spawns while the others do not?

Yes, on each side you place all the possible unit choices and give them 'spawn if' conditions that reference a trigger. You make the triggers first and give them a relevant name such as " spawn M1" / "spawn CR2" etc.

Making each option exclusive requires that each trigger causes an event, and that event is checked to be 'not true' as part of the 'spawn if' conditions

Ill try to make an example scenario later today if i get time

Edited by Bond_Villian
typo

• Members
5 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

Each party (team) must have a unit of some kind in the assembly area in order for a player to join that party (lets say its a rifle team), the player could then spawn that sides units by trigger once the action phase begins.

Good point. My first suggestion doesn't work with that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

If you want to make a multiplayer scenario and have a person on each party, and you don't want that party to have units if no one is present, then you could have an event that asks the question at start:

"Is there anyone here? If so, press Trigger 1 (you have 1 minute to respond, otherwise all units will be destroyed)".

Then the user presses trigger 1 if they are there. The other event causes all units to get destroyed if Trigger 1 is not activated by 1 minute (you can do this by putting a Damage if... condition on all units on that side, if mission time > 1:00 & Trigger 1 is not set).

There are probably other ways to do it too, like in the reverse - just include a single insignificant unit (like a GD240 CO vehicle on the side), then an event at start says 'If someone is present then press Trigger 1' which then spawns the actual force. If you do it this way you won't be able to move units around a Deployment Zone in the Planning Phase, but this might be OK for you. 

Obviously you only need to do this for the 3rd, 4th and beyond sides, but not 1st and 2nd, since they should be required.

Hope that helps...