Benchmarking framerates between 4.0 and 4.1?

Scrapper_511

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Lusik said:

I’ve just noticed that Dynamic Cache Size has the greatest impact on frame rates on my system. Once decreased to 55, the problem I described above is far less severe. 

Interesting.  Can you tell us your cpu, ram amount, video card, and video ram amount?  

Okay you guys reeled me back in. I bought a new license and installed the new version. It's playable on my modest laptop (specs below) using a 40" TV as a monitor. I'm getting frame rates under 20 fps (understandable with my setup), but it still looks fine to me. I am, however, unable to run the benchmarking scenario posted by Ssnake. It says I don't have the required map. I did download the map installer and downloader and I think I did everything right. Querying the package results in a "not found" message. I've had no problem running a few other scenarios.

Laptop Specs:

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 7/30/2019, 00:41:48
             Machine name: INSPIRON-5000
               Machine Id: **********
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
             System Model: Inspiron 5559
                     BIOS: 1.2.3 (type: UEFI)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
                   Memory: 8192MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 8084MB RAM
                Page File: 3687MB used, 8252MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

------------
Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
        Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
           Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
            DAC type: Internal
         Device Type: Full Device (POST)
      Display Memory: 4169 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
       Shared Memory: 4041 MB
        Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
        Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
       Monitor Model: SAMSUNG
          Monitor Id: SAM02A5
         Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
         Output Type: HDMI
] Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
            Card name: AMD Radeon R5 M335
        Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
           Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6660)
            DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Type: Render-Only Device
      Display Memory: 6081 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 2039 MB
       Shared Memory: 4041 MB
  Hybrid Graphics GPU: Discrete
          Video Accel: Unknown
 -------------
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: SAMSUNG (Intel(R) Display Audio)
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Description: Speakers / Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio)
 Default Sound Playback: No
 Default Voice Playback: No
---------------------
-----------
USB Devices
----------------
Gameport Devices
------------
PS/2 Devices
------------
+ Standard PS/2 Keyboard
+ HID Keyboard Device
+ HID Keyboard Device
+ HID-compliant mouse
+ HID-compliant mouse
+ PS/2 Compatible Mouse
+ HID-compliant mouse
+ HID-compliant mouse

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
      Drive: C :
 Free Space: 693.5 GB
Total Space: 937.9 GB
File System: NTFS
      Model: TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100

Drive: D :
      Model: PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A5LH
     Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 10.00.17134.0137 (English), 6/15/2018 00:36:47, 159744 bytes

Edited by Lt DeFault

Same here.

Went to run the bench mark scenario and received this:

SS_15_40_02.png.792872e3088dce7a2939bf53a985a58f.png

Rather ironic. ;)

I understand the work around, but am a little concerned that whilst everyone presumably installed the same files / map packages, some are having this issue and others aren't (or at least aren't mentioning it)?

Edited by Gibsonm

Well, the good news is that Ssnake's workaround of replacing the map did work ... insomuch as it allowed me to open and run the scenario. The bad news is that the scenario was completely unplayable - both at the default settings and even with reduced graphics and detail settings. (Frame rates of around 6 fps in the daysight upon starting and so much lag that it was utterly pointless to continue.) I'm not surprised at this, given the fact that I'm running SB on the system mentioned above. I may try running it on our more capable desktop ... or wait until my wife buys her brand new über gaming rig and try it out on that. Although, I suppose it wouldn't be much help to eSim to find out that SB runs wonderfully on a brand new, "over-qualified" system.

The benchmark only tests GPU and not the CPU. The issue comes when starting to add say 5-10 units and the CPU will the bottleneck (running at 4.4ghz with six cores and no HT). I will have a core at around 90% and the GPU at around 40% and get fps around 30fps. 

The only real difference for me in the settings is the ground cover. Once I get above 40 it starts to have a major impact. 

8 hours ago, Sean said:

Interesting.  Can you tell us your cpu, ram amount, video card, and video ram amount?  

CPU: i5 @ 2.8 GHz / 12 GB of RAM and 2GB of view memory. The problem was too high setting for Dynamic Cache. Once decreased to minimum, I get steady and better frame rates  than in 4.0. Smoke an

Mac Book pro using boot camp; first test, with 4.0 i could run a battalion sized scenario and stay above 10fps, with 4.1 one unit on a blank map with all setting bottomed out 5-9fps, this looks like end game for me, will take another look later. 

• Members

It seems like many users are running into low framerates with settings where their graphics card's video RAM is exceeded.

Things that consume a lot of video RAM are:

spacer.png

• Dynamic Cache size: This should be reduced to a minimum first; restart Steel Beasts after changing this!
  • Road rendering detail: This should be reduced from 5 to 3, then 1 to see if things get better
  • Shadow Mapping: Reduce to 3 first, then gradually rise until you see a noticeable decline in framerate again.

If your video RAM limit is exceeded it will first use system RAM (which is still "fast" but much slower than VRAM), and if that's not enough it'll start swapping to disk (and that is the end, even if the application doesn't crash). A lot of the render techniques and tricks that we applied depend on the availability of fast video RAM. Since this is a limited resource for anyone with less than 4...6GByte (VRAM, mind you... on the graphics card) you'll need to reduce usage in order to get back into playable framerate regions.

Yes, I can keep shadow mapping quite high, at 6 - 7. In my case the biggest frame rate killer is Dynamic Cache Size. I reduced it to minimum and got really decent frame rates. Smoke and vegetation have much lower impact in my case.  Great looking smoke by the way. 🙂 I keep road rendering at 3 usually but reduce it to 2 in some more intense scenarios. I've found my sweet spot in setting now and overall 4.157 is give me much better overall frames rates. Previously it was unplayable in large and heavily wooded terrain at my base settings. I had to reduce them severely to obtain manageable level. 4.1 is much more consistent and better looking at the same time. 🙂

Edited by Lusik

What does the Dynamic Cache do?

I have an Intel i5 4750k running at 4Ghz, GTX 1080 16GB, 32GB RAM and all SB files on an SSD.

Ran the CV9030 Introduction mission and got a framerate of the mid teens to the low twenties in the wooded area.

Playable, but not very smooth.

Should I decrease the Dynamic Cache?

• Members

The Dynamic Cache loads "everything" (or just the local area) of the map's elevation data as a normal map texture into video memory. This allows you to teleport to distant places without much of a delay in the 3D view. If the cache is small, the terrain data need to be paged from system RAM which is still "fast enough" for most practical purposes but not quite as fast as having everything ready right away.

But given the choice between framerates well under 20 and minor delays in the more or less rare case of you teleporting around to a distant unit I'd always go for the higher framerates, hands down.

What is odd is that my Surface book, with 8Gb RAM and a 2Gb 1050 Gfx runs it very decently at default settings.  That's the benchmarking 4.1 scenario.  That seems a lot less robust of a system than some people having issues here.

Update:

I have reduced Anti-Aliasing to 2 instead of the default 4 as I don't require much AA at 4k res anyway and it has considerably improved framerates.

After this I have also reduced Dynamic Cache to a minimum, restarted and ran the Benchmark scenario.

I am now at a comfortable 50+ FPS during the whole mission.

Aside from the above all other settings are at default and running at 3840x2160

Edited by Yskonyn

• Members
3 hours ago, thewood said:

What is odd is that my Surface book, with 8Gb RAM and a 2Gb 1050 Gfx runs it very decently at default settings.

Quantify "very decently", please. People have very different ideas what they consider "good enough".

So, because I'm a hard headed individual I did some troubleshooting despite saying I wouldn't do it. I did a complete clean install and updated my GPU drivers and still the same results. For me "Dynamic Chache" does absolutely nothing. 

I ran a few tests just to see how my best laptop handled 4.1.  And before some yells out "quantify", I did the summary benchmark some posts back, I think on Page 1.  It was good and better than 4.023.  This time through, I used Intel tuning utility to look at a few things.  Everything looked normal for a laptop under heavy load.  CPU clock remained above 4 GHz, CPU utilization spiked on scenario load, and temperature of CPU package and GPU increased.  But I noticed RAM usage spiked from a stable 5Gb, to 12 and settled to 10.5 (approx.).  I play a lot of CPU-intensive games, like Combat Mission, Command, IL2, etc. and have never seen that much RAM get consumed beyond start up.  I have a 6Gb 1665 gfx and I assume that is being maxed out as well as the GPU temp is close to 70C.  Not sure if this helps, but figured it can't hurt.

image.thumb.png.88e7a18df651dcf56652fd10dc9b1a7a.png

Edited by thewood

Here is the run through with the dynamic memory going from 100 in the test above to 50.  The first bump is with dynamic memory at 100.  The second bump on the right is dynamic memory at 50.  Seems to be little difference and not sure I should see a difference.  I am guessing what I am seeing here is my 6Gb gfx card can't handle SB at its default settings and spills out into RAM, regardless of the dynamic memory setting.  So if you have something like 2Gb of VRAM and 8Gb of RAM, you see performance hits at default settings.  Just my guess and my logic could very well be wrong.

image.thumb.png.988d9089f4f4236043cdd318506f6d12.png

Edited by thewood