Pro PE 4.1 Maps and Downloader Posted

Sean

17 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

Anybody else having issues with corrupt files? I have downloaded the files 4 times and each time the install fails saying the files are corrupt. I have disabled my internet security software and tried Firefox and Edge browsers for the download . I have tried saving to documents and desktop. I have tried restarting and finally ignore with no success. Each download has failed at a different map (near the beginning of the install. Actually I believe I tried both the "old" Edge and the Chromium Edge as my computer updated during the night to the Windows 10 1903 build.

I had an issue with a corrupt file it turned out to be a partly downloaded file part 3b the file size was only 400Mb when I tried again it downloaded the full 1.5gb unpacked the maps everything installed error free

20 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

Ok so I just Received something in the mail. :) sooooooo I'm going to try the red USB stick map installer.

The maps on the USB installed no problem. I also just realized the SBPRO installer is on the stick. Unfortunately I have a honey do list that will take me all weekend to finish. 

2 minutes ago, nickh63 said:

I had an issue with a corrupt file it turned out to be a partly downloaded file part 3b the file size was only 400Mb when I tried again it downloaded the full 1.5gb unpacked the maps everything installed error free

I had that happen the first time , but I noticed and downloaded that file again I believe that was 3b also. It  didn't solve the corrupt file problem, but It almost worked this morning. I was just going to start guessing which file to download again, but my hard copy(USB) just showed up. Thanks for the help.

I read the Release Notes but still kind of confused.

I understand the new map structure. Pretty neat that its a folder with all files consolidated - especially nice to have the ability to apply custom textures for each map. Also glad we have the delta maps, for those small adjustments (buildings on roads, for example)

Questions:

1. What is the Map Downloader v17?

2. Do I still need the old HGT and TER files?

You don't need that separate map download program. The particular circumstances for it's use are described on page 10 of the release notes:

Most of the time you won't need it as the download functions are embedded in Steel Beasts. But if you want to play a legacy scenario in a network session and if you don't have the converted map installed, Steel Beasts cannot identify that map and therefore not download it. But if the session host tells you the map UID, you can use it to "query the package" and then download it. Afterwards, click the refresh button before trying again to join the network session.

• Members

Those are the converted legacy maps that we know about/feel responsible for. There are, without doubt, still other maps that haven't yet been converted, and even once that they are and they have been uploaded to a map server, you'd still need to be able to retrieve them via their "map UID". And in that specific case Steel Beasts can't automatically download the map since the legacy scenario does not contain a map UID (that's what makes it a "legacy"), so only the session host could tell you what the map UID was, and in that case the download tool is the only way how you could conveniently get it.

The other tool is the "Steel Beasts Map Deployment Tool" ... which would be used to upload to the map server a map that you made/converted (in the Windows Start Menu / eSim Games / Steel Beasts Pro PE / SB Map Tools / Deployment folder - PackageDeployment.exe).

• Members

TER and HGT files still can serve a purpose.

a. If a specific TER map that you need hasn't been converted yet, you can do now ... but only if you still have it (duh)

b. In the map editor, if you're working on a converted legacy map and some operation that involves changes to the height map (road leveling, flattening under buildings, ...) goes wrong and you want to undo it, this works ... as long as the original source data exist. Delete them, and changes to the elevation map are permanent.

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The other tool is the "Steel Beasts Map Deployment Tool" ... which would be used to upload to the map server a map that you made/converted (in the Windows Start Menu / eSim Games / Steel Beasts Pro PE / SB Map Tools / Deployment folder - PackageDeployment.exe).

So the map server is a repository?

Can't wait for my thumbdrive with preloaded map data to arrive at my office. 

"What that package?" (Boss)

"That? Oh it's a Cloud-based and client-based solution for my multi-tasking simulation needs" (me)

"Can you explain the 'games' part of where it says 'eSimGames'?" (Boss)

"Erm..... okay, it's a multi-crew military leadership simulation featuring tanks and other military vehicles....and it will help me to test my design and decision-making skills and it will give me an opportunity to test our medium-end and top-end laptops ...after office hours of course, heh" (me)

"Carry on" (Boss)

"Phew" (Me)