TIS image "mod"

daskal

TTS was a 80s update to the M60A3, adding a fairly good TIS system, and upgraded FCS.

Although the M1 is generally a superior vehicle, the M1/IPM1/M1A1/M1A1(HA) all use the originally specified laser/TIS package (with some laser replacements during repair/maintenance to provide thermal cut-outs to prevent burn-out).

The TIS image quality and some FCS elements are often reported to be a generation behind the M60A3TTS.

What he said. In a nutshell, the M1 of today still uses the original TIS that the prototypes had in the late 1970s. The M60's TTS, being a 1980s design, was more modern, clearer, and even used 'relaxed viewing' (i.e. a screen, instead of being forced to look through an eyepiece)

NTM

• Moderators

The noise is there for a reason, or other wise it would not be there in the first place (pretty simple logic, yes?). Some people are just tinkering around a bit too much. It would be no different than adding a mod for invisible trees, hot pink daylight texture vehicles and bright hot over 100% of the vehicle TIS textures. Do we want realism or do we just want to win in multiplayer because of ego issues?

I hate the current TIS view because it's so pixelized.

I always switch to day view to aim and shoot...

Speaking of TIS view does anyone use the Fire and smoke mod?

I think the author forgot to make the equivalent texture files for TIS view.

I'm seeing orange fire in my TIS view:confused:.

The HEAT doesn't produce its enormous explosion in TIS view.

I really like this Fire and smoke mod but thinking not to use it any longer because it kills immersion in TIS view.

The noise is there for a reason, or other wise it would not be there in the first place (pretty simple logic, yes?). Some people are just tinkering around a bit too much. It would be no different than adding a mod for invisible trees, hot pink daylight texture vehicles and bright hot over 100% of the vehicle TIS textures. Do we want realism or do we just want to win in multiplayer because of ego issues?

I don't really get what you meant with the "ego issues" thing. As I said this wont be released, and I'm not using this one either. On the other hand this doesn't effect spotting targets at all, since all you get is a better image when looking through the TIS, thats it - it doesnt make you see further or see more then you would normally through the original TIS.

• Moderators

I wasn't referring to you, I was saying that adjusting the TIS noise is akin to the other "mods / cheats" we have seen in the past since SB1 such as the ones I described. I was stating that all of these fall into the same catigory.

The fact is, there are people who choose to modify their game in such a manner with no other intent but that they can be the top scorer in MP games. I appologize if I made it sound like it was directed solely towards you, I only intend it to be directed to the ones that do this. That said, a mod like this doesn't help the situation any.

• Moderators
On the other hand this doesn't effect spotting targets at all, since all you get is a better image when looking through the TIS, thats it - it doesnt make you see further or see more then you would normally through the original TIS.

I don't see your logic here. The fact is, with cleaner TIS images above what is realistic (in the images illustrated in your screen shots), then you *will* certainly have better target aquisition and better target indentification capabilites (IFF). Chances for fratricide will likely be reduced and realistic confusion in properly identifying distant targets will be minimal. The problem is also exponentionally worse when a scenario has very low visibility which is supposed to restrict the TIS range by increasing thermal noise in the image. If you remove that noise in your mod, or lessen it, then TIS ranges will not be reduced. In multiplayer, if everyone is not on the same level playing field then it is simply not fair, period.

It goes much farther than simply making the image look "prettier". But since you said that the mod won't be released (appologies here, I must of missed this before since I was away for a week), then this is all a moot point anyway.