Newb Question - Fords

Rake

I actually bought SB several years ago, but never got far due to the learning curve.  That's changed over the last several months as I've made my way through the M1 & M2 tutorials, started the T-72 tutorial, "learned" the M60 via the Wiki and RTFM (mostly).  One thing I haven't been able to find much about are fords...  Question:  How does one go about identifying a passable ford without going in the drink?

Thanks in advance

my drill have been to look at two things, the steepnes of the banks and how the water-squares align. where there is a minimum gap there is almost earth to earth, just some minor water inbetween, those normaly work well as fords, but the AI cant handle them to well.

BUT! Tomorrow monday when 4.1 dips in we get a new terrain engine with changes in... terrain... so after tomorrow we need to relearn how to identify fords again.

So todays advices are pretty useless tomorrow... :)

Welcome!

2 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

my drill have been to look at two things, the steepnes of the banks and how the water-squares align. where there is a minimum gap there is almost earth to earth, just some minor water inbetween, those normaly work well as fords, but the AI cant handle them to well.

BUT! Tomorrow monday when 4.1 dips in we get a new terrain engine with changes in... terrain... so after tomorrow we need to relearn how to identify fords again.

So todays advices are pretty useless tomorrow... :)

Also different vehicles have different "fordability" due to their design.

The Leo 1 and 2 family tends to ford better than M1s due to the location of the air intakes, etc.

But as KT said, 4.157 brings new terrain and perhaps the need for new crossing point appreciation skills.

Edited by Gibsonm

My suggestion would be to use the map editor to make a small test map with water features with various shapes to get a feel for how the terrain under the water is deformed and how different vehicles handle it. When you load the map into the mission editor you can also move the camera under the water to see what's going on underwater. Another important issue with fording isn't just "Is that river too deep to cross?" but also "How slick is the shore?" The terrain theme for the water and surrounding terrain are critical because it doesn't matter as much if your vehicle can get into the water safely (amphibious or not) but rather "Can it get out of the water?"

rjALTXc.jpg

Edited by Rotareneg

• Members
4 hours ago, Kingtiger said:

No, that advice is still valid.