4.157 - nice things

Gibsonm

this is a great improvement: surfaces which are meant to represent hard terrain types- i.e., granite and so on actually look like that. before it was obvious there were flat textures painted on the terrain, but the combination of higher resolution and light reflective textures actually give the impression of solid rock surfaces as if the ground formed into three dimensional rock shapes. the textures blend much more seamlessly when one different terrain types converge

SS_19_23_02.jpg

SS_19_26_10.jpg

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far it looks like the T-14 Armada stands a decent chance of survival from most ATGM except the Javelin. So far I've yet to see it intercept a Javelin, but it could just be that there is a probability roll that APS doesn't detect or fire (I've seen TOWs get stopped by APS and sometimes not get intercepted)-but so far it appears it doesn't defend against top attack missiles. From what I can gather Armada does have top attack defense capabilities.

What I'm also discovering is infantry that gets in a situation where a T-14 or T-15 gets close they are in for a very rough time even if they have AT4s. Not only will the APS intercept the incoming round, but the reactive armor on will do a decent job of stopping it. I've also seen T-14s and 15s shrug off hits to the rear. Occasionally though a lucky hit in a vulnerable area will do the job. Seems that 1 more 2 AT4 vs a T-14/15 is very dicey for the infantry. 3 or 4 gives better odds and 5-6 or more is where it gets interesting. That's in contrast to earlier Russian stuff where in my testing 1 hit is usually sufficient.

Might be worth exploring if artillery will damage or destroy the APS and bolt on reactive armor and gives infantry better odds.

Armata Top.jpg

SS_12_32_38.jpg

4 minutes ago, db_zero said:

So far it looks like the T-14 Armada stands a decent chance of survival from most ATGM except the Javelin. So far I've yet to see it intercept a Javelin, but it could just be that there is a probability roll that APS doesn't detect or fire (I've seen TOWs get stopped by APS and sometimes not get intercepted)-but so far it appears it doesn't defend against top attack missiles. From what I can gather Armada does have top attack defense capabilities.

What I'm also discovering is infantry that gets in a situation where a T-14 or T-15 gets close they are in for a very rough time even if they have AT4s. Not only will the APS intercept the incoming round, but the reactive armor on will do a decent job of stopping it. I've also seen T-14s and 15s shrug off hits to the rear. Occasionally though a lucky hit in a vulnerable area will do the job. Seems that 1 more 2 AT4 vs a T-14/15 is very dicey for the infantry. 3 or 4 gives better odds and 5-6 or more is where it gets interesting. That's in contrast to earlier Russian stuff where in my testing 1 hit is usually sufficient.

Might be worth exploring if artillery will damage or destroy the APS and bolt on reactive armor and gives infantry better odds.

Armata Top.jpg

SS_12_32_38.jpg

Interesting post.

Allegedly the T-14/15 should  be able to defeat top attack ATGMs like spike in the real world anyway.

likely the Armata creates an enveloping IR smoke screen to break the lock of missiles like the javelin. i assume that's why the smoke grenade launchers look like they can spin, and why it has smoke grenades pointing directly into the air. 

Edited by dejawolf

So far in my testing, I've yet to see the Armada deploy the top firing smoke screens against Javelins. I don't know if they are manually or automatically deployed in real life. One would think that tank designers are working on or already have some sort of top layer active defense system in the works.

Against anything other that a Javelin the Russian APS had a decent chance of intercepting the first one. I've only played with Javelins, TOWS, Milans and AT4s vs T-14/15 so far.

The better armor protection on the T14/15 also gives better protection from AT4s that do get through the APS, but results have varied so far. A hit in the right place will cause grief and damage to components is common.

The addition of the T-14/15 and other Russian stuff is going to make for some very interesting battles. The few play troughs of M1A2's vs Armadas has been a pretty even affair.

It would be nice to at some point be able to play the T-80/90 and Armadas, but the Armada may be difficult as I would think not enough is publicly known and so much is conjecture.

Is this correct? My Russian infantry looks like they are equipped with a rifle that looks like a SCAR. I saw from a the video posted above Russian troops in a more modern looking outfit called Russian 2020? Is that available for download? I don't see it.

SS_19_08_00.jpg

Edited by db_zero

38 minutes ago, db_zero said:

Is this correct? My Russian infantry looks like they are equipped with a rifle that looks like a SCAR. I saw from a the video posted above Russian troops in a more modern looking outfit called Russian 2020? Is that available for download? I don't see it.

They are opfor. In the mission editor there is an option to change the nation... No doubt in the Wiki or the manual.

10 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

They are opfor. In the mission editor there is an option to change the nation... No doubt in the Wiki or the manual.

Thanks. Took a while to get it. I was looking in the mods folder and didn't see anything so I thought I would have to download and install. I also did look in Camouflage Scheme and just saw 2 options at first.

49 minutes ago, dlad said:

Yep, there is a definite red spray, it's useful feedback 🙂

DBoy

Well they used to disappear as they "die" if in a bunker, or lay down if outside, but I guess it depends on how graphic you want for feedback to be.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

Indeed, it is basically a hit-impact effect.

It can happen if a bullet or fragment hits their body armor too, so its not directly associated with "blood" per se (before we get a bug report about infantry getting hit with "blood" spray, but not dying), as we don't differentiate between these types of impacts, and likely never will. All it is intended for is feedback to let you know that you are hitting the target. That said, the intentionally subtle effect made more sense than any other option. 

(Also, soldier can get hit in non-vital, non-body armor covered areas and survive as well, and you will still see this impact effect -- just something to keep in mind.)

Interesting to note how the APS in a complex battle space quickly becomes a double edged sword intercepting a large number of the units own missiles that pass to close to near by vehicles.  Have to keep that spacing or lose a lot of rounds. 

IMG_5740.JPG

IMG_5745.JPG