4.157 - Legacy Map Conversion

Gibsonm

As suspected the Manual doesn't really provide a simple, straight forward* guide to convert maps (pages 169 - 170).

* defined as detailed steps (with screen shots) as opposed to a few paragraphs of narrative.

As luck would have it the map for BG ANZAC's session on Thursday needs to be converted.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More fun.

The error message lists both the Terrain file and the Height map (2 files) but asks you to convert "a" (singular?) map

SS_18_35_33.png.8537caa13349e2d3530d2f184644b7db.png

Going to the Map Editor and selecting "Open" only lists "packages" not "maps"

It offers me "Map package from TER" or "Map package from HGT"

I have no idea which to choose???

There is talk of a "Map Package Creation Wizard" in the Manual, but I have no idea where to find that.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

The choices "Map Package from TER" and "Map package from HGT" is what starts the Map Package Creation Wizard.

If you know to have only one relevant TER map for the "Beaudesert" map, then "Map Package from TER" is the best option.

If you know to have multiple TER files based on the same Beaudesert HGT file, it's better to convert the HGT first. Afterwards, when opening the various TERs SB Pro will recognize that the HGT has been converted already, and then convert each TER as a delta map into the same map package folder.

Still working through it - but I guess my key question is:

Given that the new maps were going to be a central component of this version (and going forward) why weren't these comprehensive notes / instructions in the Manual?

Also in "Case 2" I'm not offered "replace" I'm offered "OK":

SS_21_11_10.png.f6e0f8f35dcd99da8d9fa57d1d7bd544.png

Admittedly I held the shift key down to go directly to the file open dialogue box for the Mission Editor.

Do I have to go to the blank Mission Editor screen first?

Edited by Gibsonm

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The choices "Map Package from TER" and "Map package from HGT" is what starts the Map Package Creation Wizard.

If you know to have only one relevant TER map for the "Beaudesert" map, then "Map Package from TER" is the best option.

If you know to have multiple TER files based on the same Beaudesert HGT file, it's better to convert the HGT first. Afterwards, when opening the various TERs SB Pro will recognize that the HGT has been converted already, and then convert each TER as a delta map into the same map package folder.

Right so after failing with Volcano's post I've come back to this one.

I've opened the Map Editor and Started the "Map Package from TER" option.

After selecting the old Terrain file I see this:

SS_21_27_21.png.82e643a49d76399a0502432367585cbd.png

I changed the Author because its not "Steel Beasts"

As I don't want to publish (i.e. put it on your map FTP site where I no longer control it) the map, do I just "untick" that box before proceeding?

Until I know the answer I can't proceed to whatever the next step is.

Also is it really going to consume between 469MB and 1289GB (that's a bit of a range) for a low res version???

Edited by Gibsonm

Maybe a better way to think about it is that publishing a map is like making a file "read only" it can no longer be altered in any way (without changing it's UID and creating a new map). The base map is always OK to publish. The thing to keep open is the delta map (ie not the base map). This is an editable terrain map. When you have made the changes you want to it then you publish it. From then on that delta map is also LOCKED. If you want to do further edits then you would create an unpublished copy of it.

• Members

You DO NOT upload a converted map to our map server or anywhere else by "publishing" it. Like Dark wrote, it's best to think of "read only" state, not whether it's made public. I understand that the phrase may invite misunderstandings (which I tried to clear up a few days ago when the question was first raised, apparently without success).

11 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Is there any way to unpublish something?

I published a map and now its in its read only state. Locked for editing.

You need to create unpublished copy, and  make all necessary changes there

1) Open this map in the map editor

2) Open 'File" menu

3) Select 'Save map package' and  save a copy by choosing 'Save as  new base package' or a 'Save as  new delta package'. Obviously saving as a delta package makes more sense in most cases.

SS_16_05_48.jpg

Edited by Jartsev

• Members
10 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Is there any way to unpublish something?

No. You can tack on new delta maps, you can save it under a different name (and delete the old map package) but the point about "publishing" a map package is to REALLY prevent any changes afterwards because of the dependencies that will be created with scenarios connected to these maps.

Just now, Ssnake said:

No. You can tack on new delta maps, you can save it under a different name (and delete the old map package) but the point about "publishing" a map package is to REALLY prevent any changes afterwards because of the dependencies that will be created with scenarios connected to these maps.

Ok. No worries there. The HGT data isn't going to change. More interested in the delta stuff - adding new villages and whatnot

• Members

Basically that, yes.

Map distribution can be done the traditional way (except that you deal with a folder for a map package now, not two files in different folders), or by using the map deployment tool (Windows Start Menu / eSim Games/ Package Deployment Folder).

Well, I'm off to the vet, bear with me. SOmeone else will take over, or I'll come back to this in a while.

I did this for my Team Yankee Mission.  I had the last Ter file created and the Hgt which was the old Hmap.Hgt file.

Having brought in the Hgt and the the Ter, the system created the new package which is 91MB.  Pulled it into the mission file and everything works fine.

I suspect some of my earlier creations are going to be missing the detail.  May have a look if I find time in the downloads section...

I have a problem with the system. I installed the maps in a D drive as I didn't have any space in the Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios C folder.

There I have my old sceneries, and when I try to load them they say that I have to convert the maps.

So I go to the editor and click load in the blanc one, but as I have the maps in the D drive, then I cannot load any old SCE file. Even I copy them into where the maps are. There is no option to choose from another location the sce files.

Even I installed the 4-0_Benchmark_for_4-1.sce in the Documents\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\My Scenarios folder and when I enter the single user area it says this:

25ec6979953d48f0294f0e14de173ce9.png
https://gyazo.com/25ec6979953d48f0294f0e14de173ce9

and the query or download buttons don't find the map.