• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Basically that, yes.

Map distribution can be done the traditional way (except that you deal with a folder for a map package now, not two files in different folders), or by using the map deployment tool (Windows Start Menu / eSim Games/ Package Deployment Folder).

Well, I'm off to the vet, bear with me. SOmeone else will take over, or I'll come back to this in a while.

Hope the cat will be alright.

7 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

Maybe a better way to think about it is that publishing a map is like making a file "read only" it can no longer be altered in any way (without changing it's UID and creating a new map). The base map is always OK to publish. The thing to keep open is the delta map (ie not the base map). This is an editable terrain map. When you have made the changes you want to it then you publish it. From then on that delta map is also LOCKED. If you want to do further edits then you would create an unpublished copy of it.

7 hours ago, Ssnake said:

You DO NOT upload a converted map to our map server or anywhere else by "publishing" it. Like Dark wrote, it's best to think of "read only" state, not whether it's made public. I understand that the phrase may invite misunderstandings (which I tried to clear up a few days ago when the question was first raised, apparently without success).

Agreed, since "Publish" means just that. Maybe "Lock", "Freeze", "Seal", "Finalise", ... may have been better choices, given the fact that you can't edit it after this?

Anyway have about another 30mins free now to see if I can crack this.

"Converting heightmap ..."

7 mins later - "success"

Load in Map Editor

Now what??

I've opened the mission in the Mission Editor, hit "replace" and the new map does not appear in the list.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Well, you could either "publish" (=lock, freeze, seal, finalise) or edit it. I recommend to publish it right away, and to make eventual edits in a delta map, simply because you then have an immutable conversion that preserves the original map. Publishing will also save about 80% disk space, and above all, it's the prerequisite for hosting scenarios using this map.

Next step would then be to open the scenario in the Mission Editor. It should at this point already recognize that there's a suitable map package. Save the scenario under a new name (e.g. [old filename]_4-1.sce), and in principle your work is done.

If you now want to tinker with the map by applying road leveling here or some little depression there, I'd open the old map in the Map Editor, "Save as new Delta", then do whatever you want to try out. Once happy, "publish". In the Mission Editor you can then open the 4-1 variant of your scenario and choose to replace the map (now pick the one that you just edited).

Save.

That's it, really.

4 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Next step would then be to open the scenario in the Mission Editor. It should at this point already recognize that there's a suitable map package. Save the scenario under a new name (e.g. [old filename]_4-1.sce), and in principle your work is done.

I did that (refer above) not listed.

However, hitting "Refresh" seems to have added it to the list.

And after a little while I have a scenario.

Now to find where the map "lives" and distribute it before Thursday.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Nope there's actually no way (at this point) to automatically upload maps.

In any case, if you click the 'map editor' button in the main menu (to bring up the 'map packages browse dialogue'), you can select the map you just converted, then click the 'more info' button at the bottom of the dialogue, and the dialogue should expand to show additional information, including the package's file path.

• Members

I'll leave that part to Volcano, he has exhaustively tested this feature. But I believe that you need to copy the map package folder into the "Package Deployment Folder".

Hold Shift, then right-click empty background in that window and select "Open PowerShell window here"

When you then type in "p" and hit tab it will auto-complete to PackageDeployment.exe

If you enter right away it will throw the 

[ERROR]   Required command line parameter missing!
PackageDeployment.exe [package|inventory] <inputDirectory>

So the name of the map package folder needs to go here as a command line argument.

4 minutes ago, Retro said:

OK so we are currently using this suggested process?

On 7/26/2019 at 8:31 PM, Gibsonm said:

The Recipient:

1. Manually downloads the map (using the DropBox or other link).
  2. Move it to the same location as it occupied on the Sender machine.
  3. Start SB Pro PE 4.157
  4. Then open the scenario that needs the map in question.

• Members
30 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

So much for that.

Well the process you described is all correct, it's just that the step of uploading these files to the (eSim Games) FTP is something that has to be done manually, by Volcano (think of him of the guardian of the map package repository). Of course with community-hosted map servers, anybody can do this.

BTW, for anyone interested, please check the 'readme' HTML file provided with the 'map package tools' installer (it should be linked in its start menu folder, or by clicking the 'help' toolbar button in the map package download manager tool.. the configuration files and procedures are explained in there (of course there's always room for improvement)

I'm off to work but will try this tonight (0800 GMT / 1800 AEST):

On 7/26/2019 at 8:31 PM, Gibsonm said:

The Recipient:

1. Manually downloads the map (using the DropBox or other link).
  2. Move it to the same location as it occupied on the Sender machine.
  3. Start SB Pro PE 4.157
  4. Then open the scenario that needs the map in question.

and get back to you to let you know if it works or not.

Edited by Gibsonm

Can any one clue me into where to put legacy ter and hgt files so that the map editor will find them.  I have tried putting them everywhere in all the different locations of the little parts of SB's directories and can't get the "convert from ter" to see them.  Its the terrain folder, but where the heck is it?

Nevermind.  Realized that maybe it's the same structure as 4.023.  It worked.  Could have sworn I tried that before.  Whatevs.

Edited by thewood

25 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

what's this map tool for, then?

I can't get it to connect.

I believe its there as part of a yet to be available service (fitted for, but not with if you like):

8 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I'll leave that part to Volcano, he has exhaustively tested this feature. But I believe that you need to copy the map package folder into the "Package Deployment Folder".

Hold Shift, then right-click empty background in that window and select "Open PowerShell window here"

When you then type in "p" and hit tab it will auto-complete to PackageDeployment.exe

If you enter right away it will throw the 

[ERROR]   Required command line parameter missing!
PackageDeployment.exe [package|inventory] <inputDirectory>

So the name of the map package folder needs to go here as a command line argument.

Confirmed in part by:

8 hours ago, Retro said:

In any case, if you click the 'map editor' button in the main menu (to bring up the 'map packages browse dialogue'), you can select the map you just converted, then click the 'more info' button at the bottom of the dialogue, and the dialogue should expand to show additional information, including the package's file path.

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

what's this map tool for, then?

I can't get it to connect.

There is a Map Package Download Manager tool.  After you install it, you might have to restart the PC.

Once you do, run the Map Download Manager.  Then in the pop up window, you should see in the bottom left "Connected".  Is that not the case on your end?

Image1.jpg

The idea is that we will setup a server here on SB.com, and have it as one of the paths that the Map Download Manager will check when a map is considered missing. This SB.com server will contain maps submitted by the community, and so using this tool, the maps will be downloaded as needed.

1 minute ago, Volcano said:

There is a Map Package Download Manager tool.  After you install it, you might have to restart the PC.

Once you do, run the Map Download Manager.  Then in the pop up window, you should see in the bottom left "Connected".  Is that not the case on your end?

Image1.jpg

man....

maptool.png

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

"The idea is that we will setup a server here on SB.com"

I think that's the issue - there is currently nothing for us to connect to.

I'm connected to it - it is there.  There are two servers already in existence. The SB.com would be a third fall back server in the list. But really, the Map Download Manager (and SB.com server) isn't needed quite yet, so its not yet a vital issue, but rather something that we have to work through the growing pains in post release.

So you also cannot connect with the Map Download Manager?

36 minutes ago, Volcano said:

So you also cannot connect with the Map Download Manager?

No, afraid not.

Also FYI, numerous other people posted about it during the initial download flurry.

To be honest I'm more focused at present trying to sort out the conversion process - let alone accessing more. :)

Right, more challenges.

1. I "published" a new map.

Its here:

Path.png.d2ad6f3f93bc27b97900bcd1175642cc.png

2. I try and open the mission (offline session, not even trying to "host" yet) based on the published map and I get this:

SS_17_58_50.png.215fe85d93cc5d7a760e0347fec1eb5a.png

Notes:

1. The exact same mission loads quite happily in the 4.157 Mission Editor.

2. Same error message (above) applies for both the standard executable and the uncapped server version.

Any ideas before I cancel Thursday's session or ask people to use 4.023? :(

Edited by Gibsonm