DCS Black Shark.... OHHH YEAHHH BABY!!!

stalintc

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, all us Lockon simmers have been waiting for this baby for quite a while. I'll wait for the western release though but damn I'm itching to fly some heli-ops. Give us more screenies and impressions please!

You have seen the videos put out by Matt Wagner have you not? The one where he shows the capabilities of the data link is just unbelievable.

Stalin, what are your FPS like with your rig? Is it fairly intuitive to learn, or is it a steep learning curve?

It runs like a dream! I thought I would have problems, but it runs smooth as silk even in heavy fighting and the shkval tv display running too, ive got no complaints!

It is a very steep learning curve and like Deja just stated its more like a wall. There is LOTS to learn, flying the helicopter is half the battle.... ensuring that all the various different systems are working together for the desired result also requires alot of learning. This is the sort of study sim that I have dreamed of!!!

It is impressive that even the flow of oil and hydraulics is fully modelled, leaks can be sprung and perform realistically, likewise you can even make your engine catch fire by accident if you follow the wrong sequence when starting the helicopter up!

But I have to say it is a real marvel to have a fully 3D clickable cockpit, so I can turn my head and look at the switch and flick it rather than having to mash some odd key combo into my keyboard.

I dont think ive ever been as enthralled with a flight simulator this much since Falcon 4.0

So overall if your not someone who can sit down, read the manual and practice lots and still enjoy yourself, it will not be worth your while, it is not something you can just pick up and play... UNLESS of course you load it up in GAME MODE, which allows you to just fly around with minimum effort and just shoot s**t up!

I would expect early february but don't quote me on that.

Thanks for the info Stalin,

Are there any tutorials that help you get started? Are you running with a mulit-monitor setup?

Also, is there an expected release date for the western version? I heard some estimates as being in 3 months, although a demo version was expected before Xmas.

It runs like a dream! I thought I would have problems, but it runs smooth as silk even in heavy fighting and the shkval tv display running too, ive got no complaints!

What kind of computer do you have? In my experience (Q6600) it performs more or less the same as FC (which is far from satisfying for my taste out of the box. I needed to tweak some settings to achieve stable 25+ fps).

It is a very steep learning curve and like Deja just stated its more like a wall. There is LOTS to learn, flying the helicopter is half the battle.... ensuring that all the various different systems are working together for the desired result also requires alot of learning. This is the sort of study sim that I have dreamed of!!!

To be frank, I thought it would be more complicated due to all the hype. For me it was very low learning curve. The hardest part was turning on the beast, and that's all when it comes to 'the wall'. If you make yourself a check list (as you would have in RL) it's very simple after you figure out the cockpit layout.

But I guess I have it easier as I understand russian and there was no real language barrier for reading the manual.

However not all is wonderful in the land of BS. The biggest let down is the mission editor and AI which is basically the same as in previous ED's products.

Editor is where SBP and ArmA/OFP really shine. The spawn unit/msg trigger is nice addition to BS, but it does not create the dynamics which one would need for such type of combat helicopter simulator. As I understand, they are working on this for future addons.

Next one is that ABRIS cannot be preplanned in editor beyond flight route. Very, very stupid implementation. However I already found the work around and I am configuring it by hand via script files, which is much faster than going into the cockpit and using ABRIS interface.

Last but not least, you cannot collide with trees (yep..)

Overall it is very nice refreshment to the scene and MP is very fun as well.