DCS Black Shark.... OHHH YEAHHH BABY!!!

stalintc

Just thought I'd share that me and my 'anti-talent' got 3 H2H A2A gun kills in one sitting, two on a fast approaching crossing target.. it would appear that I drilled at least one 30mm API round directly through the length of the rotor shaft.

If you get the drop on him, lock him up and chop him up as you ingress. Any other situation and it's High rate of fire and fixed gun mode all the way.

I've never pressed so many buttons in my entire life. Cheers to Chappy, Macka and Wish et al for the targets.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you guys are doing better then me, I'm still learning to fly it... haven't shot a round yet. lol

Just FYI, if you want to know more about this sim, SimHQ has a 3 part review, along with other related stuff:

http://www.simhq.com/

The sim only uses single core, but if you force 2 or 4 processors, you could double your FPS:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2633157/gonew/1/Vista_32_64_MultiCore_Performa.html#UNREAD

English manuals, so you know what your getting into, lol:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2619526/STICKY_DCS_Black_Shark_English.html#Post2619526

Be advised, a buy-able manual is coming in January.

Also be advise, DSC is looking into steam distrubution for you Starforce haters.

And one more thing, don't forget about the 12 video tutorials you can download, great stuff in those videos... and all you have to do is register at DCS, not buy... be sure to check out some of the bonus videos, my favorite "mein ..." best game play music video I've ever seen... the end shot is incredible.

Oh, and SimHQ is looking into setting up a dedicated server soon... come fly with us. ;)

A couple of other useful threads on SimHQ are a very basic tutorial to get you up and shooting

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626185/STICKY_Tutorial_How_to_take_of.html#Post2626185

Contains links to a tutorial mission and instruction PDF. Very highly recommended for beginners.

And instructions on getting multi-monitor support running under Vista

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2621999/Multi_monitor_issue_with_Vista.html#Post2621999

Took a fair bit of tweaking but now it's working great for me with the ABRIS and Skkval on my old 1280x1024 monitor and the main display on my nice 1650x1050 widescreen.

What kind of computer do you have? In my experience (Q6600) it performs more or less the same as FC (which is far from satisfying for my taste out of the box. I needed to tweak some settings to achieve stable 25+ fps).

To be frank, I thought it would be more complicated due to all the hype. For me it was very low learning curve. The hardest part was turning on the beast, and that's all when it comes to 'the wall'. If you make yourself a check list (as you would have in RL) it's very simple after you figure out the cockpit layout.

But I guess I have it easier as I understand russian and there was no real language barrier for reading the manual.

However not all is wonderful in the land of BS. The biggest let down is the mission editor and AI which is basically the same as in previous ED's products.

Editor is where SBP and ArmA/OFP really shine. The spawn unit/msg trigger is nice addition to BS, but it does not create the dynamics which one would need for such type of combat helicopter simulator. As I understand, they are working on this for future addons.

Next one is that ABRIS cannot be preplanned in editor beyond flight route. Very, very stupid implementation. However I already found the work around and I am configuring it by hand via script files, which is much faster than going into the cockpit and using ABRIS interface.

Last but not least, you cannot collide with trees (yep..)

Overall it is very nice refreshment to the scene and MP is very fun as well.

totally agree about the Editor. its severely lacking at the moment.

as for the abris, have u tried to 'prepare' the mission? it allows u to spawn and physically program the abris, the INU and then despawn and save the mission

Just FYI:

1. Their is a "game' mode that is still fun, and you can play all missions and campaigns in that mode... of course someone on a MP server can force simulation mode, That doesn't require a bunch of button pushing.

2. You can click and turn on over 100 switches on start up, or (even in simulation mode), you can hit L Win + Home, then sit for 3 mins while it turns on and gets everything up and running for you.

3. Starforce... this hasn't been confirmed yet, but rumor has it that the Russian version had Starforce, and they said the English version would, but they may have secretly not included it... all just here-say right now, I checked my system after install and have no reference to Starforce anywhere. Interesting to say the least.

I understand that the developers are from russia. But what i dont understand is why they didnt focus on the first place insted of adding it much later. I mean the apache has seen more action around the world the the chopper they feature now and apeals much more to hard core simmers. Now they are doing it all the way around.

True, but that's why I take the time to reconfig my controllers to be as similar as possible. So, for example, in Falcon 4.0 or LOMAC, the airbrake switch is in the same place, the same rocker switch changes the ripple pattern in both, etc... that way it cuts down all the different control configurations that have to be remembered.

...granted, helos are, from an aerodynamic standpoint, a hell of a lot harder to fly

Maybe it also has to do with the concept of developing a game alongside military training software, and sharing data/information/code between them.

Perhaps the Russian military doesn't use AH64s, but does operate Ka50?

And perhaps a single seat 'product' is better optimised for single seat Su25T (FC) and Ka50 (DCS:BS) than for multi-crewed aicraft (Mi-24, Mi-28, AH-64, AH-1 etc).

Maybe it also has to do with the concept of developing a game alongside military training software, and sharing data/information/code between them.

Perhaps the Russian military doesn't use AH64s, but does operate Ka50?

And perhaps a single seat 'product' is better optimised for single seat Su25T (FC) and Ka50 (DCS:BS) than for multi-crewed aicraft (Mi-24, Mi-28, AH-64, AH-1 etc).

Give this man a cigar! Spot on.:drink:

They have been moving in the direction Esim has gone with clients being military training centers etc. They had a contract to use this simulation engine to put something together for U.S. A-10 operators to help train those pilots with that piece of equipment. In fact, the next aircraft to be released for this sim will be the A-10C, about this time next year.

They also have been working on the Apache AH-64A, I've seen the pics of the cockpits...very, very nice.

I'm in agreeance with the single seat theory. All the aircraft they have moddelled as playable so far have had at least two things in common: No A/G radar modes and all are single seat.

Granted dual seat (for multiplayer, single player 'two seat' is merely two cockpit views) has been done before (DI Apache/hind and GUNSHIP! spring to mind). Programming for an existing game engine (that used for Lockon) that did not initially support two players one aircraft is probably not the easiest thing in the world.

With that in mind the KA50 was the ONLY modern gunship they could simulate without resorting to a AI Gunner. That, and they seem to be able to get the good oil on the systems on board from whoever in Russia.

That said, I keenly anticipate the arrival of the AH64(C please?) module.. in 2015.

I understand that the developers are from russia. But what i dont understand is why they didnt focus on the first place insted of adding it much later. I mean the apache has seen more action around the world the the chopper they feature now and apeals much more to hard core simmers. Now they are doing it all the way around.

I would not go that far Oscar.:confused:

The Mi-24 has sold more copies, has a greater number of users, and has been in service longer (76 vs 84).

I would think the Hind is by far the most common attack helo to date.

Given these facts I would have to say its seen more action.

but what do I know:cul: