2 issues with 4.1 ;( [FIXED]

hoggydog

I have two issue with 4.1

1) Runaway RAM, as soon as I enter a mission on any map with any graphics and terrain details my RAM usage jumps up to a whisker below system max (8gb) this makes the FPS drop below 10 and has frequent freezes, sound and control drop outs, and very slow transitions around the map or in vehicle. This is almost unbearable.

2) The palm switch on my gunner handle seems to have the wrong polarity now, (on is off and off is on) any ideas?

Ben

16 minutes ago, hoggydog said:

1) Runaway RAM, as soon as I enter a mission on any map with any graphics and terrain details my RAM usage jumps up to a whisker below system max (8gb) this makes the FPS drop below 10 and has frequent freezes, sound and control drop outs, and very slow transitions around the map or in vehicle. This is almost unbearable.

Ok,  we will try to investigate this

17 minutes ago, hoggydog said:

2) The palm switch on my gunner handle seems to have the wrong polarity now, (on is off and off is on) any ideas?

So... Just checking-  "Control handle" option is enabled in the "Controls" menu, right?

32 minutes ago, hoggydog said:

You might try setting the "Dynamic Cache Size" slider in the Terrain options dialog (Alt-D) to the minimum. This should reduce the RAM consumed by SB by several hundred MB.

(Note: modifying that slider will require quitting and restarting the application for the changes to produce an effect...)

Edited by Jam

• Members

As far as RAM usage is concerned, I recommend opening the task manager , and in the "Processes" tab you can sort the applications by RAM usage. While this doesn't address the core issue, at least it might help for the moment to close the most RAM-intense applications such as

• web browsers (I have two windows with five tabs open, and mine already wants 600 MBytes. Crazy).
  • Some "CTF loader" wants another 350, and I don't even know what it does.
  • Two instances of Windows Explorer - 180 MBytes (WTF?).
  • Excel (one 10 MByte sheet open), wants 150 MBytes RAM.
  • Virus scanner: 120 MBytes, etc.

So that's 1.5 GBytes RAM usage with just the five top applications.

Might be interesting to find out if reducing RAM usage by other applications helps with the framerate. If not, there might be some other problem.

I Will look at the virtual RAM issue a little later, it may be this as my C drive is pretty close to full.

As for the CR2 handles, I have tried them in the CR2 and M1 gunner positions so far, they are wrong there, however they are correct in the M1 commanders position. Again I will investigate further.

Okay, clearing space on C Drive and increasing virtual memory to double that of physical memory has made no difference.

The amount of terrain detail and complexity in a scenario or map makes little or no difference to the RAM issue but can effect FPS

It is the RAM issue causing the drop outs and stuttering rather than an actual drop in FPS.

Use of Ram seems to hover between 6.5GB and 7.5GB. When it goes above 7.0 is when drop outs really start. After a scenario has been run, it will stay at this high usage in all game menus and when Alt Tabbed out of SB and will not fall away until SB is terminated

It's because his GTX 1050 has 2 gigs of video ram. With that road detail setting on 3 the sim is using more than 2 gigs of video memory, spilling over onto system ram and dramatically slowing things down. My GTX 760 also has 2 gigs of video ram and is doing the same thing.

Edited by Rotareneg

• Moderators
5 hours ago, hoggydog said:

I HAVE FOUND THE CULPRIT.....

If I reduce Road rendering detail to its lowest level it drops RAM usage by about 2GB

OK, yes, try putting the ALT+G back to default and try again.

I found that, on my machine at least, my older video card (I have been planning to get a new PC for years now) cannot handle Road Render Detail at 5. It causes the same issues you mention. You mentioned that you lowered it to 0 and its OK now, but try the default "3" setting for that slider, and you might get some additional detail without having to go to 0 detail there.