Height maps, can they be manipulated?

CharlieB

I have been off for a while and coming back on.

In the past i have enjoyed creating a number of tactical vignettes and have had a go at creating missions from things like Team Yankee... or from vignettes used in training.

frustratingly many of these are not based in the real world and therefore a significant amount of time can be spent hunting for the right bit of ground...

the key key to this is the elevation data.  The terrain can be “painted” on after.

what I would like to be able to do is manipulate the height map file to alter the relief to suit the vignette.

is there a way of doing this either within SB or through another system that can create a height file that can be imported into SB?

Many thanks in advance...

This is one of my biggest wishes, if not the biggest, to be able to import my own heightmaps, shapefiles, etc. Unfortunately this is one of those features that differentiate the classroom military version from our personal, or homework version sold within a reasonable consumer price and (it prevents the homework version from cannibalizing the sales from the classroom version).

There are commercial products that I know that can export maps into at least the legacy map format, which can then be converted using the tools that we have access currently; the only catch is that they cost between £9000 and £25000.

One of them is Terrasim (Bohemia Interactive), the other one is Trian3d Builder (TrianGraphics)

http://www.terrasim.com/

https://software.triangraphics.de/?q=de/produkte/Trian3d-Builder

On the other hand, from my own personal experience, there are several members in the forums that have access to the PRO version who will enthusiastically help importing your maps for you. Better if you can provide them with the files ready for conversion. The only problem with this way, is that you wont be able to make full use of all the automated features of the PRO version, like shapefiles/metadata importing because its like giving pace notes to a blind driver when you're also lost. So in the end you will have to spend a lot of time map editing. There is for example a function in the PRO version, where it can import point data (objects) and it's possible to set the files up so SB PRO automatically identify via metadata what the object is and its azimuth. This means that its possible to import a complete map ready to go with objects, roads, surface types, heightmap in one go and that should take no more than 1 hour.  Compared to manually map editing a blank map from scratch using the map editor, that's at least a 6 months of man/hours of difference.

If you need help getting the files ready to be imported, just let me know.

Edited by stormrider_sp

• Members

While we've developed the necessary technology to do this, we still need to work on suitable UI elements that would allow you to create hills that don't look totally artificial. As so often, we can only offer incremental improvements, this being reserved for a future upgrade.

10 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

This means that its possible to import a complete map ready to go with objects, roads, surface types, heightmap in one go and that should take no more than 1 hour.

Theoretically with a tail wind - usually not quite so straight forward, even in the "simplistic" pre 4.175 days.