Is there a way to add a license option to have a friend play?

Chaosduck7

• Members

Yes. Within the next two week we will add back the option to buy a secondary license in our web shop for $25.- ... this works, however, ONLY for owners of the "classic license" with a CM stick.

Alternatively your friend could purchase a time-based license; a four-months ticket costs $24.50

The upside is, he could use it also at his place without your computer as a license server.

Wait! does it means that a friend that don't have the CM stick will able to play if I buy the second licence with me? What I mean. I have the CM sTick with 3.0, 4.0 and 4.1 licences. If I buy the 4.1 secondary licence (when is released) that user will be able without paying anyting to connect to my match via internet and play? (I suppose as much players as secondary licenses up to 8 players, isn't it?)

6 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

Wait! does it means that a friend that don't have the CM stick will able to play if I buy the second licence with me? What I mean. I have the CM sTick with 3.0, 4.0 and 4.1 licences. If I buy the 4.1 secondary licence (when is released) that user will be able without paying anyting to connect to my match via internet and play? (I suppose as much players as secondary licenses up to 8 players, isn't it?)

Basically "yes".

You have the USB stick in you machine.

You share the licence

They are able to use the license on their machine being shared from your machine (their codemeter software looks for your machine's WAN IP address).

As long as you machine is running and your Internet connection is working, they can access it.

All they need to do is download and install the SB Pro PE software and configure their codemeter software to search for your IP address.

Of course you can't control if you friend uses your licence or some 3rd party that your friend spoke to.

I have 8 licenses that others can use and indeed this was the basis of myself and some others being able to offer a "trial" option before the time based licensing came into effect.

Send me a PM and I can talk you through the details.

Edited by Gibsonm

Well they can do either.

They can play an "offline" session but the computer [and yours] needs to be "online" (i.e. connected to the Internet).

They can't play offline as in laptop at the beach with no WiFi. Their machine needs to be able to communicate with your machine where the license resides.

Edited by Gibsonm

very interesting. One of the thigns that don't make me play so much with SteelBeasts is because I don't have people to play with. 

I suppose that if I buy a secondary licence, then anyone I choose can play with me online.. so for example if I have 2 friends A and B, and I buy a secondary licence, then A can play Mon-Tuesdays and B can play Saturdays and Sundays for example. It is not a "fixed" friend that can play.

Sure, as long as your computer is running and connected.

But also A or B may tell C, D, E, F, G, H, ... and they can all play too without asking you, potentially using the license when A or B want to.

You need to ensure that people don't abuse the privilege, since you can't easily control / limit who can use it once you have made it public.

Edited by Gibsonm

2 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

Understood.. so as I asked in PM you cannot switch on/off easily that licence. Only disconnect the stick from the computer.

Well no, you can activate / deactivate "sharing" in the codemeter software without removing the stick.

I'll respond to the PM in a few minutes - in the process of going to work.

1 hour ago, Mirzayev said:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/forum/9-multiplayer-engagements/

This might help with that. 😊

Is there any discord channel where the SB players meetup? It would be much easier for people with different timezones

1 hour ago, Japo32 said:

received the PM. Bad thing that someone could use your primary licence. Would be nice to add somekind of "protection" to that. 

I think you can do that in the licence access permissions of the webadmin.

http://trafficlicense01.ptvgroup.com:22400/$help/CmUserHelp/us/license_access_permissions.htm

You can limit certain subnet/host/user to a specific license

Edited by Dagger1987

• Members
  1. We added the secondary license option as a way to facilitate "father-son" type gaming in a home LAN
  2. Consequently, we provide zero technical assistance if you want to share your license over the internet. Not only is this more complicated depending on individual conditions (such as routers, cable modems, dial-up network, ...), individual router settings (port forwarding, ...); there are also associated IT security risks for which we will never assume responsibility (and I can but advise others to think carefully about unintended consequences and potential liabilities). Furthermore, while I acknowledge that there may be legitimate cases like your best buddy living across town, the abuse potential clearly outweighs the potential for "legitimate good", so I tend to look at it as a nefarious exploit of our goodwill (which I will tolerate up to the point where a "particularly smart" idiot comes along, orders a hundred secondary licenses and sets up a virtual arcade hall, and that way ruins it for everybody - as we would immediately terminate the program at that point).

7 hours ago, Dagger1987 said:

Is there any discord channel where the SB players meetup? It would be much easier for people with different timezones

About to wander off topic.

Yes there are, but not a central one.

Why not?

Well a few reasons:

1. The eSim organisation is flat out building and supporting the product, the website and the Wikki without adding more "moderator" / admin type tasks. Whereas the Multiplayer events thread already provides that "meeting place".

2. The nature of the sim (requiring a dedicated Host [port forwarding configured, suitable bandwidth, etc.] and now the pre mission time downloading of maps) means that unless you want to just play the scenarios that come with the product, you need to do a bit of scheduling / co-ord prior.

Also some poor sod usually is anointed as the CO and needs some time to come up with a plan.

3. The larger events need some planning in terms of who is filling what role. This leads to again publishing events here so that the most people know about them, clashes can be de-conflcted and attendance optimised.

Some VUs though support Discord but then you'll only know when those particular VU members are available. I guess if you want to concurrently monitor 3+ Discords, that's up to you.

This subject has been covered at some length elsewhere previously.

Edited by Gibsonm

7 hours ago, Dagger1987 said:

As @Gibsonm stated, it is based on the VU. I'm only a participant in the Kanium Discord, but I never use it for coordinating multiplayer myself (although @Nike-Ajax is very active at advertising ADHOC games there.) 

I usually do posted games, based on the predictability and ability to plan for them around my schedule. If none of the times for "regular games" work for you, there is nothing wrong with trying to start something within a different time zone. 

Just so long as it doesn't compete with TGIF, obviously. 

On 8/1/2019 at 4:44 PM, Ssnake said:
  1. We added the secondary license option as a way to facilitate "father-son" type gaming in a home LAN
  2. Consequently, we provide zero technical assistance if you want to share your license over the internet. Not only is this more complicated depending on individual conditions (such as routers, cable modems, dial-up network, ...), individual router settings (port forwarding, ...); there are also associated IT security risks for which we will never assume responsibility (and I can but advise others to think carefully about unintended consequences and potential liabilities). Furthermore, while I acknowledge that there may be legitimate cases like your best buddy living across town, the abuse potential clearly outweighs the potential for "legitimate good", so I tend to look at it as a nefarious exploit of our goodwill (which I will tolerate up to the point where a "particularly smart" idiot comes along, orders a hundred secondary licenses and sets up a virtual arcade hall, and that way ruins it for everybody - as we would immediately terminate the program at that point).

Was just going to ask this exact question as my 17 year old son clearly has no interest in buying this, but I would like him to try co-op with me (LAN) to try and get him to like it.  This is a tall order as the new COD is coming out (puke), and this game is not even on his radar, but he does have an interest in WW2 and the military stuff.   So just so I'm clear, I would buy the full 'classic' version of 4.1 ($125), get the USB in the mail, and then have to purchase another $25 license (when it's released in two weeks?) that would allow unlimited access to the aforementioned co-op play with my son?

There are very few reasons now not for me to buy this (other than the $170 CDN) as I said a few years back on the Sim HQ forums that if the terrain/graphics/vehicles/animations were updated to something I could live with I would buy it (although the disappearing tank treads I still see in videos bugs me as it is reminiscent of the very old game Panzer Elite).  I guess that time is now, but the other thing is the lack of content. 

I want to just jump on with my son, pick a battle and get on with it without having to spend a lot of time creating a scenario.  Does it have a 'quick battle' generator or something?  Will what's available for d/l now (i.e. scenarios) work with 4.157, or will it be a waiting game to see which ones get converted for use?

Thanks.

Edited by aleader

3 minutes ago, aleader said:

Was just going to ask this exact question as my 17 year old son clearly has no interest in buying this, but I would like him to try co-op with me (LAN) to try and get him to like it.  This is a tall order as the new COD is coming out (puke), and this game is not even on his radar, but he does have an interest in WW2 and the military stuff.   So just so I'm clear, I would buy the full version of 4.1, get the USB in the mail, and then have to purchase another $25 license (when it's released in two weeks?) that would allow unlimited access to the aforementioned co-op play with my son?

There are very few reasons now not for me to buy this (other than the $170 CDN) as I said a few years back on the Sim HQ forums that if the terrain/graphics/vehicles/animations were upgraded I would buy it (although the disappearing tank treads I still see in videos bugs me as it is reminiscent of the very old game Panzer Elite).  I guess that time is now, but the other thing is the lack of content. 

I want to just jump on with my son, pick a battle and get on with it without having to spend a lot of time creating a scenario.  Does it have a 'quick battle' generator or something like that?  Will what's available for d/l now (i.e. scenarios) work with 4.157, or will it be a waiting game to see which ones get converted for use?

Thanks.

Well, you can use missions that other make and play them.

But if these don't suit you, you still have the chance to make some on your own. Anyway, if that is already too much effort for you...steelbeasts might not be the best choice for you.

1 minute ago, Grenny said:

Well, you can use missions that other make and play them.

But if these don't suit you, you still have the chance to make some on your own. Anyway, if that is already too much effort for you...steelbeasts might not be the best choice for you.

I'm well aware of that, but as I asked, will these existing missions need to be converted?

1 minute ago, aleader said:

I'm well aware of that, but as I asked, will these existing missions need to be converted?

User made content here...Well, depends on with what SB version they have been made.

The missions delivered with the install are supposed to work on the fly...

• Members
20 minutes ago, aleader said:

Was just going to ask this exact question as my 17 year old son clearly has no interest in buying this, but I would like him to try co-op with me (LAN) to try and get him to like it.  ...   So just so I'm clear, I would buy the full 'classic' version of 4.1 ($125), get the USB in the mail, and then have to purchase another $25 license (when it's released in two weeks?) that would allow unlimited access to the aforementioned co-op play with my son?

Precisely.

The alternative would be a time-based license ($24.50 for four months), but if you're going to play it for a longer period then the secondary license clearly is cheaper.

There are very few reasons now not for me to buy this  ...  I guess that time is now, but the other thing is the lack of content. 

I want to just jump on with my son, pick a battle and get on with it without having to spend a lot of time creating a scenario.  Does it have a 'quick battle' generator or something?

There are about 68 dedicated single player scenarios that can be played cooperatively in a network session (and then another 44 missions in the multiplayer folder for playing against each other, though not all of them may be suitable for just two players and rather require more participants). Many of the single-player missions have randomization in it for replayability, and then of course you can open any of these and quickly swap one tank model for another, switch the time of day, weather conditions, and from Summer to Winter etc. with absolutely minimal effort.

In short, if you haven't played Steel Beasts before, out of the box there's probably enough in it.

And then there's the tons of scenarios over here at SteelBeasts.com in the Download section. Here the caveat is that these maps probably need some conversion work so you can still enjoy them in version 4.1; we did all this conversion work for scenarios that are officially distributed/supported by us but of course we can't fix everything. Nevertheless, I don't see you running out of missions anytime soon.

23 minutes ago, aleader said:

For the missions bundled with the Sim, "no" eSim has already updated them.

For Community created content here then "it depends". Most scenarios are likely (scenario dependent) to at least need the map updated. Others may need major revisions to accomodate new features like the improved Infantry / APC co-operation.

I guess a time limited licence (or two) maybe your best way forward. US$18 (2 x 9) gives you a month to review it before you make a bigger investment.

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

There are about 68 dedicated single player scenarios that can be played cooperatively in a network session (and then another 44 missions in the multiplayer folder for playing against each other, though not all of them may be suitable for just two players and rather require more participants). Many of the single-player missions have randomization in it for replayability, and then of course you can open any of these and quickly swap one tank model for another, switch the time of day, weather conditions, and from Summer to Winter etc. with absolutely minimal effort.

In short, if you haven't played Steel Beasts before, out of the box there's probably enough in it.

And then there's the tons of scenarios over here at SteelBeasts.com in the Download section. Here the caveat is that these maps probably need some conversion work so you can still enjoy them in version 4.1; we did all this conversion work for scenarios that are officially distributed/supported by us but of course we can't fix everything. Nevertheless, I don't see you running out of missions anytime soon.

Oh so the game does 'ship' with canned scenarios?  That's news to me as I have always assumed that you just get the game and you're on your own making/finding missions.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any indication of this anywhere on the Esim site. 

Now, before anyone says it's obvious that it would come with them, it isn't.  Before I buy a DCS module for instance I always check to be sure that it either comes with a campaign, or that there are DLC campaigns available for it, which isn't always the case.