Is there a way to add a license option to have a friend play?

Chaosduck7

• Members

It "used to be obvious" to have a lot of single player missions included when we started this business 20 years ago... Nowadays people apparently work from a different expectation, which is probably a sad commentary about the direction that the simulation game market took.

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2019 at 12:44 AM, Ssnake said:
  1. We added the secondary license option as a way to facilitate "father-son" type gaming in a home LAN
  2. Consequently, we provide zero technical assistance if you want to share your license over the internet. Not only is this more complicated depending on individual conditions (such as routers, cable modems, dial-up network, ...), individual router settings (port forwarding, ...); there are also associated IT security risks for which we will never assume responsibility (and I can but advise others to think carefully about unintended consequences and potential liabilities). Furthermore, while I acknowledge that there may be legitimate cases like your best buddy living across town, the abuse potential clearly outweighs the potential for "legitimate good", so I tend to look at it as a nefarious exploit of our goodwill (which I will tolerate up to the point where a "particularly smart" idiot comes along, orders a hundred secondary licenses and sets up a virtual arcade hall, and that way ruins it for everybody - as we would immediately terminate the program at that point).

Hi,

Planning to buy a secondary licence for father/son/daughter games,

but unsure if I can install this home LAN (checking),

so might have to to share the license over the internet with my children

=> Question pls: how could this go wrong ? Where is the risk

Thx !

• Members

It can be done, but I won't promote it by writing up instructions and rendering tech support for router configurations, or setting up VPNs. This is not just a matter of product policy, but also of practicality given the size of our support staff, and limiting our liability. There's no way I'm going to fuck around with other people's networks and cyber security, and do that officially in the name of eSim Games only to be sued for virus infections that probably were there even before we gave advice.

2 hours ago, Koen said:

=> Question pls: how could this go wrong ? Where is the risk

Thx !

If you publish your private IP address it provides an potential point of entry for people to attack your computer.

Even worse if you publish a link to get to the machine directly.

Its a bit like people knowing that you keep the spare key to your front door under the 1st pot plant to the left of the door and then wondering why you are burgled.

Edited by Gibsonm

• 8 months later...
On 8/1/2019 at 9:36 PM, Gibsonm said:

Basically "yes".

You have the USB stick in you machine.

You share the licence

They are able to use the license on their machine being shared from your machine (their codemeter software looks for your machine's WAN IP address).

As long as you machine is running and your Internet connection is working, they can access it.

All they need to do is download and install the SB Pro PE software and configure their codemeter software to search for your IP address.

Of course you can't control if you friend uses your licence or some 3rd party that your friend spoke to.

I have 8 licenses that others can use and indeed this was the basis of myself and some others being able to offer a "trial" option before the time based licensing came into effect.

Send me a PM and I can talk you through the details.

Hi,

I bought a secondary licence, to play at home with my son.

1. And I followed the steps as in the 2 tutorial video's:

So I believe I shared the licence.

2. My son installed SB

3. What I don't find is how my son  can "configure his codemeter software to search for my IP address"

=> Could someone babystep me through this pls ?

Thx !

Your son's PC needs to have SB installed. Codemeter software installed.  Then Open codemeter  "Webadmin"     at bottom right.  (you get this window by clicking this blue icon with white circles)  image.png.48ccff32ae1b1f233cf72341a8eefa95.png

image.png.97d89732abccadc0474d1115650b884a.png

Then.. Go to configuration drop menu and find  Basic / Server search list   

image.thumb.png.4722c0c59a07e17003dab1ab61b1bb26.png

And add your server IP to server search list...   and remember to hit Apply.  

Edited by Lumituisku

38 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

Problem is... Something has changed since last update.. and I don't know the extra steps necessary to get it working on sharer's end.  But this is how it used to be <.<   

I don't think it has (unless we were lucky) - I talked some Chinese people through it a couple of days ago with 2.468.

@Koen can you drop me a line and we can get together and sort it out.

On 1/4/2022 at 8:16 PM, Lumituisku said:

Your son's PC needs to have SB installed. Codemeter software installed.  Then Open codemeter  "Webadmin"     at bottom right.  (you get this window by clicking this blue icon with white circles)  image.png.48ccff32ae1b1f233cf72341a8eefa95.png

image.png.97d89732abccadc0474d1115650b884a.png

Then.. Go to configuration drop menu and find  Basic / Server search list   

image.thumb.png.4722c0c59a07e17003dab1ab61b1bb26.png

And add your server IP to server search list...   and remember to hit Apply.  

(a question before I take up Mark's time)

About "And add your server IP to server search list...   and remember to hit Apply"

How do I find my Server IP ?

is it the IPv4-adress ? (my son added that one to the server search list, but still had licence-failure)

Or is it another type of adress ?

thx !

Edited by Koen

1 hour ago, Koen said:

(a question before I take up Mark's time)

About "And add your server IP to server search list...   and remember to hit Apply"

How do I find my Server IP ?

is it the IPv4-adress ? (my son added that one to the server search list, but still had licence-failure)

Or is it another type of adress ?

thx !

just your normal IP i think... if you write "My ip" to net browser  it should give you page that tells you your IP below "Whats my IP"

image.png.b62a6210981f9d9b765472fb4e00f05e.png

• Members

License sharing is intended for home LAN use, not across the internet.

If your son isn't living at your home, I'm sorry but we can't help you, as I wrote above, on April 14. Within your home LAN you can find your own IP address by opening the Windows Start menu, then typing in "ipconfig". The license server's IP address in the home LAN does not necessarily have to be added on the client's side to look up since the client will broadcast a license request into the LAN. Servers listen to such broadcast messages and will respond.

Broadcasts work well however only in small networks, so it's a practical solution in your home network but not in the whole of the internet. That being said, it doesn't hurt to set your server's home IP address, as long as you're reasonably confident that it won't change (or if it does, that you still remember to check this when things stop working).

• Members

I want to give people the option to have friends and family play in a home LAN at an affordable price, that's why the secondary license is about 20% the price of a primary license. I also don't want to be ripped off where a handful people buy massive numbers of secondary licenses and then let the rest of the internet know from which IP address they can get a free license. Part of that is by not posting detailed instructions here. Which won't work perfectly, but still, it helps. Because the alternative is, if we see a purchase pattern emerging where all of a sudden the sales for secondaries skyrocket, that we have to stop selling them entirely. It would primarily hurt the honest customers that want to have some family time with Steel Beasts. It's probably a rather small minority, but still.

So, that's why I don't want this to appear here. I'd prefer if it weren't published anywhere, but that's probably not an extremely likely scenario.