cannon firing particles

Japo32

Hello!

Yesterday I saw how in a desert the M1 Abrams when firing in 4.1 they made an incredible great particle barrier of dust in front of them. Now in another map with snow, I don't see same fx. How is produced? do we have to make any option in the map to make it? it is done by all the tanks or just specific ones?

Thanks

Its the result of:

• Blast from the gun
  • If firing APFSDS, the round's sabot shoes discarding (that's where the DS comes from).

Its more obvious in desert due to the dust / lightness of the sand etc. but it can happen in most terrain types.

However, whilst I've never fired in snow, I'd assume you'll get less effect there because the snow is heavier than dust and it wont get blown around as much. Also if its been heavy snow I suspect the snow has melted slightly and re-frozen over time so you'll get a hard crust.

The larger the gun, the more evident the effect, so it may not be obvious on smaller calibres than say a 120mm.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Background info (for those with little experience of snow):

It depends on the type of snow. If it's fresh and of the powdery type (what you see in skiing movies) then there will be a spectacular white ball of snow kicked up that absolutely obscures your vision, both thermal and optical. If it's wet, heavy snow, there won't be much of an effect (if any). Also, in static positions the light snow will soon be blown out of range. From that point on the show that sticks will gradually absorb more and more gunb powder residue and turn grey, finally charcoal after extended fire.

Conclusions:

The question is of course, do we want to go into that level of detail and define different snow conditions and possibly layering to determine if snow would fly like dust, in chunks, or not at all. I don't want to go for a cheap effect that is always there just because it looks good. I'd want it to behave right.

So... given the relatively low utility value in contrast to the high level of effort (and the associated complications in the user interface) I rate this as a low priority task.