Text Flickering

Striker

I did read almost all of the release notes for 4.1, searched on Google and the forums and read the manual on the graphic settings so please excuse me if there's an answer for this problem already. I noticed on the previous version of SB that the text in the menus would flicker badly at times. The same effect is happening in the message box at the bottom of the screen and on the popup menus.  It seems like all of the text flickers badly but especially the text for the mission selection one. I do have a pretty good system and I'm running a GTX-1080 and have always updated the drivers. Nothing seems to help. It's not a huge issue since once I'm in the mission the problem really isn't making the scenario unplayable, but when I'm in the menu selecting a mission it can be really annoying. V-sync is on. Any thoughts or pointing to a solution would be appreciated. I'm purchasing a new monitor soon but not really certain that this could be a problem because I don't get this in any other program.

Interesting thought. I did exit Logitech software completely and even unplugged my keyboard and it's still happening. What's even more interesting is that when I click on certain scenarios like "Border Patrol" in the single ones, the flickering stops. As I go down the list, some make the flickering happen and others don't.

It seems to be random because when I selected "Border Patrol" this time it was flickering. I tried to do a screen output using OBS studio but the replay doesn't show the problem. I'm starting to wonder if it's a screen refresh rate problem maybe due to the age of my monitor? Just grasping at straws now.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I found something to add to this that might be helpful. I installed my new Nvidia G-sync monitor on Friday and updated my graphic drivers. But the problem still is happening. So just out of curiosity I switched to windowed mode and the text stopped flickering. I don't like windowed mode though because I get the desktop showing around the edges and it's extremely annoying. But it appears that the problem happens in full screen mode. My new monitor is 2560 x 1440 but this was happening in full screen mode on a 1920 x 1080 monitor from before. And it was happening with my GTX-970 as well as with my GTX-1080. I also noticed that the scenery flickers occasionally as well. I'm not experiencing this in any other simulation like DCS World, ARMA or Star Citizen or any other games or sims for that matter. So it would be really good if you guys could explore what might be causing the problem and see if there's a way to resolve it. I'm willing to provide any information you need.

• Members

Even better, there's the "--fullscreenwindow" command line parameter to create a borderless window that fills the whole desktop.

Of course that only works with the same resolution as chosen for the desktop, and if you have a desktop spanning two or more monitors funny stuff may happen.

What the point your question? Recording the screen output is pretty much the same process regardless of the software used. OBS is free and makes files that are the exact same quality and are typically 1/4 to 1/2 the size. Nvidia makes you agree to all sorts of ridiculous stuff, basically signing your life away to use it. OBS does none of that. I use OBS for all sorts of video recording situations because it does multiple inputs and has almost no effect on performance.

Here's the video I recorded. As you can see from the change to windowed and full screen the flickering is either there or not. Sorry about the really bad video quality. My camera wasn't focusing well and I didn't really feel like spending a lot of time adjusting. You can clearly see the flickering though.

Edited by Striker

OBS and Nvidia Shadowplay both use the GPU so your point is not valid. I already stated in my previous post that it's not showing when I record through the GPU. Maybe you should have read that part. I know that the video is poor but if you watch the entire thing you can clearly see that the flickering is caused when I go to full screen mode only.

Edited by Striker

Please read my previous posts. I already posted that this is happening on two different monitors, one DVI, the other a brand new HDMI and with two completely different video cards, one a 970 and the other a 1080. I also posted that this just started happening with the latest release. I've been using ProPE since it was first released and this is a new problem.