Text Flickering

Striker

RGR, thank you for helping me out on that. Unfortunately I am getting a lot more of that stair step effect that Anti-Aliasing is supposed to mitigate. Any ideas on how to smooth it out some? I have the AA in the simulation set to 16. Also, I can't find anything on what Star Gamma is and what settings are optimal.

Edited by Striker

• 7 months later...

Just fired it up and I'm playing around with AA settings as the default 4X in game still has pretty bad jaggies.  However from the very start (before I even started changing settings in Nvidia Control Panel) I'm having a disappearing mouse cursor when moving the mouse in the menu screens.  Very annoying when I am trying to select something.  System:  Win 10, GTX 1070, 16GB Ram, i5 4670k@4.5GHz, 441.87 drivers.  I'm running it at 2560x1440 fullscreen with a Freesync monitor (Gsync and Vsync enabled in NCP, Vsync off in-game).  Any ideas?

Edited by aleader

• Members

Alt+W to switch into Windowed mode, then adjust the window size a little. Afterwards going back to fullscreen mode should work again. I do not necessarily recommend running SB Pro in resolutions significantly above Full HD. The GUI does not scale which makes things a bit painful to read (unless you still have young eyes).

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Alt+W to switch into Windowed mode, then adjust the window size a little. Afterwards going back to fullscreen mode should work again. I do not necessarily recommend running SB Pro in resolutions significantly above Full HD. The GUI does not scale which makes things a bit painful to read (unless you still have young eyes).

Ok, will try that.  My monitor is 32" and my eyes are good, but I will try 1080p and see what it's like.

Tried windowed mode and stretched it out.  It doesn't allow me to pick the resolution with windowed mode, so it's picking it for me (roughly 1440p).  Problem is it tanks my fps to about 10 (from 40+), but the mouse disappearing is fixed.  What is causing this?  It was very smooth and playable in fullscreen.  I'm going to test now by disabling AA in the NCP and just running it through the game, but the in-game AA doesn't even look as though it does anything.  I need at least FXAA on to fix the horrible terrain jaggies (it DOES work in NCP...the difference is very noticeable). 

I do have a Freesync monitor and have GSYNC compatible, limit framrate to 72 fps (75Hz monitor), and Vsync turned on in NCP (off in-game) if that makes any difference.  I assume this game runs through DX, not Open GL?  Is there any point enabling triple buffering or any of the other settings in NCP?  

Found this from another thread:

"So, here's the skinny:

The first "Anti Aliasing" slider controls the number of samples (2x, 4x, 8x, 16x,). Selecting a setting of "0" enables the second slider, called "Non-Maskable Anti-Aliasing (Advanced)". This is for users who have driver bugs and cannot use the first slider without issues/artifacts. This second slider ranges from 0 to 100%, and it does pretty much what the first one does, but using a different method. Additionally, users may theoretically (depending on the video driver) override the in-game AA settings with their control panel AA settings when both sliders are set to 0.

So, the official stance on this is:

- To set AA via Steal Beasts, use the in-game sliders, and set the video driver control panel setting to "Application controlled."

- To set AA via the video drivers, set both in-game sliders to 0, and use the driver control panel AA settings. (not guaranteed to work, though.)

- Anything else can, and often does, produce "undefined" behavior..."

This all still applies (i.e. an update hasn't changed anything since Aug. 2019)?  

Edited by aleader

• Members

Windowed mode defaults to Windows Desktop resolution (and you can always adjust the window size from there, so that's why the resolution selection is disabled for this mode).

That the frame rate suffers a bit is unavoidable, but it should be limited to maybe 10...15%, not 75.

However, it was not my intent that you stick to windowed mode. Changing from fullscrren to windowed mode can sometimes bring the mouse pointer back even if you switch to fullscreen mode again afterwards. So, that was my hope here. If it doesn't, the next thing to check would be the Windows font scaling. For some, changing from 150 or 200% to 149% (199) made all the difference.

GSync is nothing that Steel Beasts utilizes right now, unless it's enforced at the driver level.

The official recommendations about how to set graphics settings in SB Pro still apply, yes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with it and this is what I've settled on for now:

725512758_SBProSettings2.thumb.jpg.b963e88cd14d3a8f09f3fc3d879c734c.jpg1085123379_SBProSettings1.thumb.jpg.97dc94a8d5613f43cee59f2986499304.jpg

I have AA in-game set to 4X as my FPS was actually lower with 2X for some reason.  I tried 4X and 8X in NCP and with and without AA Transparency on and these are the settings that look the best.  I have similar settings in DCS world, other than the use of GSync enabled in DCS.  Nothing helped with the disappearing mouse cursor (as I scroll in the UI).  I even tried 1080p and my frames were the same or even lower in some cases.  1440p obviously looks much better.  I do notice sometimes severe stuttering with up-close flames in the gunner view, although my fps remains around 40.  Is this a game engine issue?  I've also played with shadows and the terrain sliders and the only one that seems to have a severe performance hit is the forest draw distance.  

Are there any other settings in NCP that I should be enabling/disabling (negative LOD bias, anisotropic settings, etc)?