4.0 Ter to 4.1 Map package - missing hgt map

daskal

When trying to open 4.0 related ter files in the Map editor I get "Could not open hgt map" error message and does not load up the map. This isn't a random issue, its coming up with all of my previous 4.0 maps. There are 2 in particular which I've invested years into - Basra & Baghdad... so I'm kinda nervous a bit. Looking into Volcano's thread this appears to be a "Special case" see below:

"Special cases:

• If you select to convert a map from TER or HGT and get a pop up error about a file missing, then it means that the pre-4.1 legacy map is missing its associated TER or HGT file (which wouldn't work in 4.0 either).
  • If you are in the "Map Package Creation Wizard" dialog and you cannot press Next, then it means that some abnormal issue exists with the legacy TER or HGT file (which will have need to be troubleshooted)."

Now these maps were used and tested in 4.0, so not sure what the issue could be.

error.jpg

• Members

If you know that you have the requested HGT file on your harddisk the next question should be whether it's in the right location/whether there are IT security settings or other conditions preventing Steel Beasts from accessing the files.

I'm using Win7, and this is where I would expect the hgt maps to be:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\height

I have checked & this folder is currently empty... I guess this is the problem. Ter and theme files are all there in their respective folder. I uninstalled 4.0 prior installing 4.1. These maps worked OK in 4.0.

I'm in the Map editor, trying to create a "delta" out of my 4.0 ter file. In all cases I do get a missing height map message when selecting on eof my 4.0 terrains. As described above I have checked the 'old' height folder and its empty. I dont know how these maps worked with 4.0 (whether there was anything in the height folder back then) but they worked.

So I'm kinda stuck here, all of the height files seem to be missing.

1 hour ago, RichardG said:

Attempting to convert map ter. file in map editor. Map editor says missing hgt. file. There is no hgt file.

So I was having same problem, You need to know the associated hgt map. Then  check to see if you have this folder with the hgt file in it.

C/programData/esimgames/steelbeasts/maps

inside that folder you should have this

sb1.thumb.JPG.058a4e61e7c4f4a75bab0851e70e3c4c.JPG

If you are missing the hgt folder you need to add it and put the associated hgt file inside.

you can then go to mission editor and do the "export to map package" thing

for myself I was missing the "bastone" hgt. which I had saved a b/u of ye olde 4.0 files (its why god made removable storage drives)

BTW I have all the hgt and ter from 4.0 saved so If ya need a copy hit me up

cheerz

Edited by ht-57

• Moderators

Ahh I think I see the problem.  4.1 did not install all the legacy HGT files, and this change was made relatively at the last minute. The issue seems to be (and I am investigating it), even if you have the base map installed, then it seems to still need the HGT file to covert a map into a delta.

Since I never uninstall older versions (tech support and such) I didn't notice the problem.  However after three reports here of what is happening, I see it now.

I will throw together a fix where I will upload all the old HGT files soon. Don't worry, we will get your maps converted.