SB Pro PE and Joystick axis assignments

AKA_Clutter

I am not sure this is the correct forum section for this question, but thought I would start here.

OK although I have had SB for several years, this is the first time that I am spending sufficient time to try and get my joystick setup to work.  I understand that the joystick input code is not state of the art (so to speak) and only sees the Windows preferred device.  I use TM TARGET to combine my throttle and I have gotten my F9 issue solved thanks to a post in the Support section.

My next question is how does SB assign the joystick axis to the various functions, and can those be modified.  For example, in the drivers position (F9) the X-axis controls left-right, and the Y-controls the forward back motions. in the gunners position, it is similar.  However, in the commanders position (F7) while the X-axis controls the left-right movement of the gun, the y-axis does NOT affect the vertical position of the gun.  The mouse worked fine, but the joystick does not.  So is this hardwired or could I replace the mouse function with the joystick for this one function?

Thanks

Edited by AKA_Clutter
Change "assing" to "assign"

LOL  You would ask me that.  I don't know my vehicles at all.  These were from the 4.1 Benchmark mission.  THe two that I could determine were

M60A3 - Driver and gunner would with both X and Y inputs

F7 Commander position.

F1 view  -Horizontal and Vertical movement with joystick

F2 view - No ability with Joystick or mouse

F3 view - Joystick horizontal only, no vertical contor4l.  Mouse could more the site in both directions.

F4 view - Joystick horizontal only, no vertical contor4l.  Mouse could more the site in both directions.

Leopard A6- Driver and gunner would with both X and Y inputs

F7 Commander position.

F1 view - Horizontal and Vertical movement with joystick

F2 view - Horizontal and Vertical movement with joystick

F3 view - Horizontal and Vertical movement with joystick

F4 view - Horizontal and Vertical movement with joystick

There were a couple other vehicles I tried at the thrid test location but I couldn't determine what they were.  I will do some more test later today and see about the other vehicles.

• Members

Well, not every view allows you to control the vertical axis, at least not in every situation. So it seems to me that the joystick works fine, that Steel Beasts recognizes the input signal, and just discards some of the signal if the simulation state demands it. :)

For the M60A3:

F1 is correct.

F2 you get no control unless you also hold the “P” key at the same time.  In the real tank the commander must hold down his palm switch to overide and move the turret with his control handle.

F3 & F4 is correct as you can only move the cupola, which the sights associated with those positions are in, horizontally with the joystick.  To move the vertical axis use the up and down arrow keys or use the mouse and control both the horizontal and vertical.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Well, not every view allows you to control the vertical axis, at least not in every situation. So it seems to me that the joystick works fine, that Steel Beasts recognizes the input signal, and just discards some of the signal if the simulation state demands it. :)

1 hour ago, TSe419E said:

For the M60A3:

F1 is correct.

F2 you get no control unless you also hold the “P” key at the same time.  In the real tank the commander must hold down his palm switch to overide and move the turret with his control handle.

F3 & F4 is correct as you can only move the cupola, which the sights associated with those positions are in, horizontally with the joystick.  To move the vertical axis use the up and down arrow keys or use the mouse and control both the horizontal and vertical.

I guess my thought was/is if I can move it with the mouse, then I would think that I could move it with a joystick as well.  And from both response I  see I have a lot to learn.  

I still have my original question.  Is there a way to assign a joystick axis to a mouse axis where the mouse function is already allowed.  I know that I can assign a joystick button to a key command, just wondering if there is anything like that for the axis commands.

Thanks being patient with my questions and misunderstanding.

31 minutes ago, AKA_Clutter said:

Is there a way to assign a joystick axis to a mouse axis where the mouse function is already allowed.  I know that I can assign a joystick button to a key command, just wondering if there is anything like that for the axis commands.

I’ve never tried it within the frame work of SB.  I have a Logitec X-56 and its profiler lets me do it.  I know there is software out there that can be used to create profiles for most controllers but I’ve never tried any.

• Members
7 hours ago, AKA_Clutter said:

I guess my thought was/is if I can move it with the mouse, then I would think that I could move it with a joystick as well.  And from both response I  see I have a lot to learn. 

Actually, that line of thinking is correct. It seems then that the bug may be that the mouse allows for vertical movement.

Whenever you find such a discrepance, please report it in the Support forum so we can file a bug report. Only bugs that are being reported in the bug tracking database will eventually be eliminated with high probability.

• Members

We have about 2,000 discovered and not yet fixed bug reports. Who knows how many are undetected (it's by definition unknown). Since 2005 a total of almost 7800 bug reports were added to our database, the last 2100 of them since we released version 4.023. Those are the basic statistics. I think we can conclude from this that

a. we have become much better at reporting bugs (now that we have several full-time beta testers)

b. the majority of reported bugs actually gets fixed

c. in each Release Notes document since version 3.0 we have listed bugs "without a bugzilla entry" that were fixed;

Version	max BZ	non-BZ		BZ		ratio		Growth
2.654	2187				
3.027	3911	83		175		47%		1724
4.000	4739	150		158		95%		828
4.023	5696	44		85		52%		957
4.156	7687	83		829		10%		1991

So, the number of bugs reported per year is about 1,000; for every two reported bugs there's about one without a report number, and, assuming an exponential distribution, for every six bugs that get noticed there may be one bug that goes unnoticed. So, with currently about 2,200 bugs reported we may assume about 550 old bugs still waiting for their discovery (while we're adding new ones in the process of feature development, sigh).

Job security?  Certainly not the type you want.  Given the size (assumed) of the code, basic human error probably (e.g., typing the wrong letter, or transposing letters) or unintended interaction between code segments, this seems like pretty good statistics.

• Members

...which is why I'm not afraid making them public. :)

It's probably even better, actually, since about 800 of especially the older "bug" reports in the database are actually feature requests, not actual bugs. Which might reduce the best estimation of the number of undiscovered bugs by 200, to about 350.