Running 2 instances on same PC (win10)

Ingolf

I am having a bit of a trial and error trying to run 2 instances on the same PC & LAN.

I want to do this in order to keep action on one screen and the map on the other. So I connect to myself - sort of.

Great for having a local HQ following the action.

This worked fine in 4.023, but perhaps switching from win7 to win10 also affect this?

I would like to hear if anybody else is using SB this way (mostly when designing scenarios). I might have to check my ports/tunnels as well,

any thoughts welcome!

/Ingolf

Edited by Ingolf
PC do not need to be a dedicated server

• Members

From a CodeMeter/licensing point of view there was no change (to the best of my knowledge) that would prevent you from doing this.

From a practical point of view, performance may suffer substantially more than in previous versions since we're using the PC's resources more intensively with 4.1 than before.

Ssnake,

Good to hear there was no change in the licensing part (if that's correct). I am aware of the practical part, in running this in 2 instances, yes. It could however be of interest for everyone to know that it works quite well in limited scenarios, 2-3 platoons, covert ops with limited contacts, so to say.

I will experiment a bit more with 4.157 and see if it's just my LAN playing tricks on me. 😀

When you say "instances" do you mean the same executable running on the one box?

Or are you talking about virtual machines and running two of those on the one box, etc.?

From memory if you run the executable once and host on your machine, you can then also connect as a client from the same machine using 127.0.0.1 as the "Host's" IP address

Gibsonm, yes 2 (of the same) executable on the same PC. Using one as host and other as client connecting to 127.0.0.1.

I think I need to look up what ports I have open, this might have changed from last time I did this with 4.023. I'll report back if I get it to work.

Cheers

May not help, but "yes" works for me:

SS_05_11_08.thumb.jpg.614991819bba6d9328c803177284ad4d.jpg

Ran the standard version of 4.157 (I'm lucky enough to also have a server copy for BG ANZAC).

1. First instance set up as a "Host".

2. Launched a second session / instance of the same executable on the same machine.

3. Connected to the other session as a "Client" using 127.0.0.1 as the Host's IP address.

Works now! ( I had to check my LAN config, open ports were set wrong)

This is sweet. This way, I can be both the good guys and the bad guys 😀.

But, the best is, I can keep my map open on the second screen, all the time. Lot's of other fun stuff.

Thanks Gibsonm for testing.

Cheers

12 minutes ago, frankiekam said:

That must be one powerful rig.

The session displaying just the map consumes less resources than one predominantly in the 3D world.

The usual limiting factor is the available screen real estate to have two windows, of a useable size, side by side.