Apocalypse 31

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, that autotracking is just awesome.

(Wonder if it works IRL as good as in game ;-)...  Just experience, some companies promise a lot with these functions, and when you test it on a combat-range, the rate of success is WAY below 100%)

34 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

30mm like a sniper rifle...

PS.: I'd like to try using the DF30 as a kind of recon vehicle in some scenarios/games.

The rather small and hight up TC optics should make it useable for that...

• Members

IRL these target trackers work by image processing, typically seeking "moving contrasts". Since we can't run a real-time simulation AND do image processing (especially in the absence of the same DLPs, let along the software/algorithms used in the real vehicles) the quality of our target tracking is ... "idealized".

Yeah. I was about to make a post about it myself.

By far the most interesting new vehicle in 4.157. Full of intedresting options and great capabilities.

I have used it in a couple of SP scenarios along the Pizarro and Centauro is my favourite vehicle in SB.

Hopefully it will get incorporated to the Sunday multiplayer exercises someday. Save a slot for me!!

I am still lacking some information about the system caopabilities.

It reminds me the new project for the Spanish Army, the Dragon 8x8 with the new tower „Tizona“ still in development but similar scope.

I really like the DF30 !!!!!!

Thanks Esimgames!!!!

Edited by Furia

1 minute ago, munckmb said:

Same here, love this thing. I do wonder if there is only the autotracker or also another way to calculate lead? The way de df90 works doesn't seem to work in the df30.

No, Autotracker is the only lead function for the DF30.

2 hours ago, munckmb said:

The way de df90 works doesn't seem to work in the df30.

Speaking of which, how does the lead work in the DF 90? I read the wiki page but it's not working for me.

To calculate lead, put the reticle on target and lase. Then track the moving target and press the lase button again and hold it for five seconds, then release. Then when you fire, you will have lead applied to the shot.

Edited by Apocalypse 31

• Moderators
On 8/7/2019 at 5:18 AM, Furia said:

On the Steel Beast Wiki page for the DF30 there is no reference for Autotracker and  the propossed lead method is the same as of the DF 90

SB Wiki page. Lead in the Pirahna DF 30

How do you activate this autotracker you mentioned?

As the DF30 page says at the top in bold letters, its a work in progress. The DF30 page was copeid from the DF90, and then is being changed. Commander position is complete though, but gunner is not.  If I can get some minutes of spare time between all the other things going on, then the page will be finished. Just saying. ;)

But for the most part, press CTRL+C, and look at the DF30 controls list -- O key is default for auto tracker. Once its tracking you will also have lead. Yeah, it is pretty awesome.

3 hours ago, Volcano said:

As the DF30 page says at the top in bold letters, its a work in progress. The DF30 page was copeid from the DF90, and then is being changed. Commander position is .  If I can get some minutes of spare time between all the other things going on, then the page will be finished. Just saying. ;)

But for the most part, press CTRL+C, and look at the DF30 controls list -- O key is default for auto tracker. Once its tracking you will also have lead. Yeah, it is pretty awesome.

It works great! Thanks.

I was aware that the page is still work on progress, nevertheless highly welcome and useful. 👍

So much lasing and re lasing and waiting 5 seconds to fire is not much healthy in todays battlefield with the proliferation of laser detectors in combat vehicles. That is something that will surely have impact in the future

• Members

I don't think the DF90 is made for a high intensity battlefield with significant anti-armor threat (eventual missiles aside). Its armor protection - for a wheeled vehicle - is reasonable but not extraordinary which implies that you can't bring yourself into vulnerable positions for more than the briefest moments. Within that context the DF90 does not need to be optimized for duel situations.

While the DF 30 with its 30mm gun, and the onboard Spike ATGM team it is a serious and interesting vehicle. the DF 90 does not look much useful or interesting. An overkill for engaging light vehicles, but undergunned for engaging medium armoured vehicles. Bulky, slow, rate of fire........

I keep my dear Centauro fur such task, however the DF 30 it is  really interesting and able platform.

Edited by Furia

DF-90 is

On 8/8/2019 at 1:41 PM, Ssnake said:

I don't think the DF90 is made for a high intensity battlefield with significant anti-armor threat (eventual missiles aside). Its armor protection - for a wheeled vehicle - is reasonable but not extraordinary which implies that you can't bring yourself into vulnerable positions for more than the briefest moments. Within that context the DF90 does not need to be optimized for duel situations.

Exactly, low intensity conflict / peace keeping... (wtf) primary objectives are: Technical, APC, IFV, bunker, ,...

Be aware that everything stronger than a .50 can go in...

Look like they can try to shoot some older tanks till the T-55 (non up-armored), but with a vehicle that high, I won't try...

About the ATT in the DF-30, I never saw it working that well like in the first vidéo, indeed it's "idealized" :)

Usually we send a Mix (1 DF-30 & 1 DF-90) in Sp of a Inf Coy

Edited by Fuchs_Leo1_TC
add