DF30 - Awesome

Apocalypse 31

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have tried the DF30 engaging (initally) moving BMP-2s over bumpy terrain, from the flank. What I am finding is happening with auto tracking is that it aims for the centre mass of the vehicle, even when that part of the vehicle is behind hard cover. I fire a few rounds that hit intervening terrain and the BMP turns and engages and destroys the DF30. I am guessing this is an artefact of how autotracking is implemented in SB rather than how it would work in reality (if the picture was initially centred on the turret, would it not remain so as long as at least the turret was visible?). Is there any way to nudge the mean point of impact higher whilst still autotracking?

• Members

Well actually yes you should be able to (slowly) move the autotracking's impact point around, just like it works on the Ulan or ERCWS-M. While autotracking, the control handle sensitivity should be (severly) reduced, but still it should be possible to 'nudge' the aimpoint off-target-center.

Of course that applies to MANUAL adjustements. By default, our autotracking implementation simply tracks center-of-target (but that being said, if there's no LOS to the target's center, it should not really be picked up by the autotracking in the first place..)

1 hour ago, Retro said:

Well actually yes you should be able to (slowly) move the autotracking's impact point around, just like it works on the Ulan or ERCWS-M. While autotracking, the control handle sensitivity should be (severly) reduced, but still it should be possible to 'nudge' the aimpoint off-target-center.

That worked very well. Thank you Retro :)

I did a test with a platoon of six MTLBs, sans ammo, on a "bumpy" map as they have a very low silhouette. Nudging works really well for manual engagements. I also found that the autotracking would break lock under circumstances I think would give autotracking problems in real life. So, perhaps it's a little bit idealised as Ssnake said, but it's still a very good and perfectly useable implementation.

I'm finding the vulnerability of the external gun, its feed and associated electro-optics is very realistically modelled. The base vehicle is relatively robust, as you would expect, and lends itself to hull down firing positions in permissive terrain. For that reason I have been hit and had subsystems taken out quite a few times now, but have yet to lose a crew member. I'm loving this vehicle.