4.159 Posted

Sean

Use the map editor to access the height maps.  Safe your map of choice as something other then the stock map and the you can do what you want.  Once done with editing your map, publish it, then open that map in the mission editor and your on your way.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, cobrabase said:

I run the application.... it seems to crap out.  Doesn't do anything for me.  I have 4.156 and the patch will not update it.

I think you'll find you need to:

1. Patch 4.156 to 4.157

2. Patch 4.157 to 4.159

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

We should have the 4.169 full installer ready later today. There was a hesitation to supplant the 4.156 full installer with it because of the palm switch inversion issue, so we'll have both up there until there's a solution that makes both obsolete.

• Members

Steel Beasts 4.1 no longer uses these old file formats.

They need to be converted into the new file format, called "map packages".

This is in principle a very easy process.

Unfortunately it's made complicated because there are a lot of special cases.

Try to open one of your old scenarios in the mission editor.

If you get an error message, read it carefully. It will list the name of the map files that were used to create it.

Now try and find those map files; there are two: HGT and TER files. 

If you have them both, open the Map Editor with the "Default Map". Then go to the File menu (top left) and select "Convert map from TER..."

This will start a map conversion wizard that will guide you theough the the map package conversion process.

You will have to enter a map name. Maybe add something to the name to make sure that you will recognize it as one of yours. Add a short description to make it easier to recognize the map in a few years. You may also need to enter the approximate south-west map coordinate if the map that you want to convert is very old. If you don't do that, the day and night time and the star and sun position will be wrong (but nothing worse will happen).

After the map conversion is complete (this will take a few minutes), go to the file menu again and "publish" the map, then save it.

Now go back to the mission editor and open your scenario file again. When the error message comes up, select the button to "replace the map", and pick the map that you just converted by the name that you gave it. Save the scenario file. You're done!

12 minutes ago, Furia said:

There is a download option called "legacy Map Installer". I donwloaded and installed it but after installation I cannot find neither where it is installed or how to mak it work and what functionalities does it has

This re-installs the old 4.023 (and earlier) structure of Height and Terrain maps just in case you need them for conversion.

They should be here:

C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts

Of course windows "helps" by having "ProgramData" hidden by default so you may need to unhide it.

Edited by Gibsonm

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:10 AM, Ssnake said:

We should have the 4.169 full installer ready later today. There was a hesitation to supplant the 4.156 full installer with it because of the palm switch inversion issue, so we'll have both up there until there's a solution that makes both obsolete.

HI Ssnake,

ver. 4.169 ? that's available? Full installer. Am I correct to assume we will delete SB 4.1xx  and install a complete a fresh install? When can we expect it's release?

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Wax Savage said:

HI Ssnake,

ver. 4.169 ? that's available? Full installer. Am I correct to assume we will delete SB 4.1xx  and install a complete a fresh install? When can we expect it's release?

No.  Please dont start over from scratch!  Apply the patch and you are good to go.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:19 PM, Ssnake said:

In any case, these aren't maps that you're supposed to "use", they are just a necessary fallback for Steel Beasts 4.1 when attempting to convert custom TER files that you may have.

It would have been better if that installer would let you install it on another location other than C:\ it is only one of the installers that does not let you install to another location. I keep a separate SSD for simulations and such to keep them off of my C : drive.

45 minutes ago, Alicatt said:

It would have been better if that installer would let you install it on another location other than C:\ it is only one of the installers that does not let you install to another location. I keep a separate SSD for simulations and such to keep them off of my C : drive.

Which installer?. I have SB on my J: drive and it's maps on my L: drive... No issues!.

Well, you still have ProgamData and esims in the documents folder on C (if that's your boot).  I think stuff also ends up in the appdata folder IIRC.  So while you can move stuff to other drives.  There are still large parts scattered over C, no matter what you do, within reason.  SB is still the only game that has significant space on my C drive because of that.

Just checked; There is still 3Gb of C used even with SB's main folder on D with the Map folders also there.  3Gb doesn't seem like a lot nowadays, but on a 256Gb C drive with the OS resident, it starts to add up.

Edited by thewood

12 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

Which installer?. I have SB on my J: drive and it's maps on my L: drive... No issues!.

The Legacy Map Installer: SBLegacyMapsSetup . exe,  It had no option to install in another location, all the other installers had the option to install in a different location.

7 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I believe that's where the "Steel Beasts Map Download Manager" comes in.

After you "publish" your map, you need to "share" (trying to use different terms to de-conflict the overlapping meanings).

AIUI, the current prototype arrangement is you send it to Volcano, he uploads it and then people using a mission that needs the map get it via this software.

I'm not sure, but I think you can also use the software to look through the "shared" deltas / packages and download them directly - if you are looking for a map but it doesn't have an associated scenario.

Not sure when this all takes effect or if a more robust / automated process is planned for some point.

Again this is based on the masses of map related posts "post 4.156" and I may well have gotten my wires crossed / not understood something, somewhere along the way. :)

As I understood, only a selected few (maps) will be chosen and made available in the official map downloader app. Also, the map download app doesnt work, as i understand, as a search engine where one could for instance input keywords and get a list, but instead, one directly input a map's unique ID to download that specific map.