4.159 Posted

Sean

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ssidiver said:

My C drive tells me it has 267 GB free of 465 GB and I ended up with all of 4.1 there because I had map file issues!

How expensive are SSD dics these days? Seriously, mine came with the comp the year before last.

I use my laptop for both work and gaming.  it has a 256Gb C SSD and a SSD D with 1Tb.  The C drive has 50Gb left on it after a year of use.  Yes, I can go through the hassle of moving everything around for one game.  But even then, SB files scatter to at least 4 main folders, two of which have to be on C.  I have one game, Combat Mission, that uses 2 folders.  The rest always use 1.  Its just one more complication and barrier to new players for SB.

I understand the reasons for doing this.  Following Windows enterprise support guidelines are important in certain environments.  But it is still kind of odd telling consumers to work in multiple folders, especially when one of them is a hidden system folder.

3 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

How do we share maps now in 4.1xx? Will a new 'map-packages' sub-section in Downloads/Maps be created along with the existing 'terrain/height' existing sub-sections? Or we should upload new maps to either Terrain or Height sections? 

This is a very good question.

How would I go about just seeing which maps are available? I believe you have to search the map downloader app by number.

One thing that I think would be very handy would be the ability to preview maps ( just a simple representation to give you a hint what is there), maybe a large 'thumbnail'. A simple search of maps on your hard drive and another one through the map downloader app.

I know it may not be an easy ask, but you do need to find 'the right' map for your scenario.

Edited by ssidiver

20 minutes ago, ssidiver said:

One thing that I think would be very handy would be the ability to preview maps ( just a simple representation to give you a hint what is there), maybe a large 'thumbnail'. A simple search of maps on your hard drive and another one through the map downloader app

This is an awesome suggestion.  I spend a lot of time opening maps just to see what they look like.

• Members

We have barely started with the map server business, give us some time to refine the concept.

The problem is of course that identity of maps can only be ascertained with the help of the map UID; unfortunately, what is unambiguous appears highly abstract at the same time. If you want to browse a remote map repository and search it by keywords, or region, that's an entirely different use case.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ssidiver said:

This is a very good question.

How would I go about just seeing which maps are available? I believe you have to search the map downloader app by number.

One thing that I think would be very handy would be the ability to preview maps ( just a simple representation to give you a hint what is there), maybe a large 'thumbnail'. A simple search of maps on your hard drive and another one through the map downloader app.

I know it may not be an easy ask, but you do need to find 'the right' map for your scenario.

Current plan is to use the downloads area as the browser for user submitted maps.  Users will hopefully submit some screenshots and create some text...

On 8/9/2019 at 1:52 AM, Gibsonm said:

I know, I did that.

That's what I'm saying it now (v19) works, in that it connects.

In fact I reinstalled everything in the sequence as per the download page (just in case something was changed).

1. Map Installer (9 parts + Executable)

2. Maps Downloader V19 (unistalled v18 first)

3. Legacy Maps Installer

4. Applied the 4.159 patch

I followed that sequence with 4.157 and it didn't work. But now it does.

I did notice though that post 4.157 / 4.159 I now have a "C:\Program Files\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools" as well as "C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools"

Not sure why the double up?

one of those files were left from v17, you can look in the log.txt files and you will notice the version no. 17, I set mine to install in the larger drive just as I did the legacy maps. 

19 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

one of those files were left from v17, you can look in the log.txt files and you will notice the version no. 17, I set mine to install in the larger drive just as I did the legacy maps. 

Not sure what you mean by that.

The "double up" namely the creation of both "C:\Program Files\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools" and "C:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts Map Tools" occurred after I removed v17 and installed v19.

I'm not worried about which drive and indeed both locations are on the same drive.

All I was saying was that the download manager now works (for me), where as previously it didn't (for me).

I have heaps of room on my C:\ SSD so which drive it installs on is irrelevant to me.

Also FYSA, if you do make a duplicate post, you can delete it, as opposed to retaining an empty shell. :)

Edited by Gibsonm