Need some help (Low FPS).

Von_Virus

• Moderators

What are your detail levels set at (ALT+D)? If you are having frame rate issues then try clicking on "default" in the detail settings menu just in case you maxed them all out at some point. You can also try lowering some of the detail sliders as well.

Another thing to check is to see if you have some sort of auto protection virus scanner running in the background as you play SB. You should disable them if possible while you play.

The big thing I have found is to reduce the distance on that scrub grass.

I have a slightly better system, my G-Card is better. But I found that if I run everything at max, I get some REALLY big frame rate hits in the wooded areas because of that scrub grass. So I reduced the visual distance on how far out that grass renders. Gained almost 10FPS just from that.

• Members

What are "low frames" for you, anyway?

It's hard to believe that a GTX260 would have any problems whatsoever.

I can only suspect a configuration problem.

When opening the Details dialog box (Alt+D) while running a scenario, what are the frame rates (Shift+F12) if you set the values to "Default"? They should be close to 60.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished building my new system:

Intel Core 2 Duo 8500 3.16Ghz

4 GB (2 X 2 GB) 8500 RAM

EVGA 9800 GT 512

ASUS P5Q Pro Motherboard

Vista Home Premium 32

Installed SB no problem system running great except.... I go go from 60 fps to approx 10 fps. I have tried locking the motherboard processor on turbo mode. I shut down my Kaspersky Internet security and set the video card to performance mode. Tried windowed and full screen and reduced the terrain detail distances. No effect. I am running the 180.48 Nvidia driver. Would try a different driver but not sure where to find them. I could try the newest EVGA drivers but it is also 180.48 I believe. From what I have read other people are also having this problem. Has anybody found a solution ?

FYI , this problem aside VISTA has been running great. I had it installed and running in about 45 min. The next night I transferred my settings from my XP machine. I really had trouble choosing between XP or Vista, XP runs great but is getting long in the tooth, VISTA has a bad reputation,but the software gets 4 out of 5 on NEWEGG so I rolled the dice and so far I'm happy. I would have liked to hold out for Windows 7 but thats at least a year off then at least another year before it's running good. Anyway not that my opinion matters just seems Vista gets kind of a bad rap, as I recall XP sucked pretty bad when it first came out.

• Members

So, aside from a frame rate drop of 83%, Vista is wonderful?

mmmmkay... ;)

In all likelihood, it probably IS a driver issue. Which is most likely a direct consequence of Microsoft's insistence to certify drivers for Vista, which significantly reduces the speed with which new drivers can be released (or IOW, problems fixed). But maybe this just reflects my uninformed prejudice.

LOL well that is a bit of an issue. I'm assuming I will find a fix. My wife's year old laptop has Vista and I havent had any real issues. So far the frame rate problem is the only glitch I have found. I do like some of Vista features (media center works better). I have to agree it wasnt a huge improvement( over XP) and it is a bit naggy but I'm married and used to it.

Hopefully Microsoft will do a little better developing amd marketing Win. 7. I just don't think Microsoft is the evil satan many people make them out to be(the AntiChrist maybe).

• Members

Neither do I, but some of Vista's "features" are troubling. Did you know that the end user license agreement states that MS can remotely install software on your system without your consent? The idea is driver revocation. If a graphics (or sound) card driver does things that MS doesn't like, they can remotely disable it. But the EULA isn't limited to this, it's a very general clause. In principle it says that's you're in for a ride and MS will decide what you might get.

While it can't be in MS's interest to alienate its customer base, I do find this EULA mandated backdoor troubling. It is the exact opposite of what they promised - more security, better system integrity. Any Vista PC that connects to the internet must be considered compromised, simply because of this backdoor. From a security point of view this is about the worst decision that they ever made.

Unfortunatly, my new computer made SB about un-playable as well. dense forrest and even a small ammount of buildings drops my fps to around 8-12 :( .. So shall we wait for Vista to adapt to SB Pro PE (lol) or whats the plan?

(intel Q9550 2.83Ghz, Asus gtx 280 with 7.15.11.7813 driver, 4 gig ddr3, Vista ultimate 64-bit)

I am also not getting great frame rates on certain maps. Some maps I get 60+ FPS and others it runs very choppy. If there are lots of trees or grass, my frame rate drops to between 10-20. I have both the general and ground graphics settings at 85 and ground cover set to 40. I'm running the 2.370 Beta and set my resolution to 1280x1024.

Here are my PC's specs:

AMD X2 4800+

ATI Radeon 3870 512MB

4GB Ram

Creative X-Fi Sound Card

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32-Bit

For some reason I don't think Steel Beasts is properly utilizing multi-core processors and/or new high end video cards with 512MB+ of memory. I could be wrong though. Forced AA and AF don't work either (this is probably a driver issue).

• Administrators

SB uses one core. I dont see that changing any time soon. If you would like to know more, you can search the forums for the details. As far as extra ram on new video cards, we dont come even close to using it all. You might be able to use more of it by swapping out all the textures with some of the high res ones that people have made.

The graphics engine hasn't been changed in a long time other than raising the max number of polys that can be drawn.

More recent nvidia drivers have been known to cause problems with sb. Some versions are terrible, and some work well.

I am also not getting great frame rates on certain maps. Some maps I get 60+ FPS and others it runs very choppy. If there are lots of trees or grass, my frame rate drops to between 10-20. I have both the general and ground graphics settings at 85 and ground cover set to 40. I'm running the 2.370 Beta and set my resolution to 1280x1024.

Here are my PC's specs:

AMD X2 4800+

ATI Radeon 3870 512MB

4GB Ram

Creative X-Fi Sound Card

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32-Bit

For some reason I don't think Steel Beasts is properly utilizing multi-core processors and/or new high end video cards with 512MB+ of memory. I could be wrong though. Forced AA and AF don't work either (this is probably a driver issue).

I think it's a combo of Vista Ultimate, a somewhat dated processor, and possibly ground cover being turned up a little too high for said system. (Processor datedness being a problem given that Sean has now revealed that Steel Beasts runs on only one core) Sounds like you've got enough memory, and a decent graphics card, so those aren't the issues. If you're a DIYer, you could install a better processor. If the CPU's socket is an AM2, you might want to take a look at this. It's a list of 65W AM2 processors I found while searching Newegg.

• Members

I go with Sean's explanation, a terrible driver. The GTX260, 280, or HD3670/3870 are all top of the line graphics card, way more capable than the best cards we had at the release date of SB Pro PE 2.251 when it was released in March 2006. Also, the CPUs mentioned are definitely fast enough for high frame rates.

Few explanations are likely enough to be seriously considered, and the by far most likely explanation (which has been demonstrated already by some) is that SB Pro's performance varies greatly with the graphics card drivers that have been released over the past 12 months. Whatever the driver programmers are doing, the performance variations from one driver to the other are enormous.