nVidia vs SB graphics settings

thewood

I ran some benchmarking tests a few days ago and wanted some clarification of what overrides what in setting AA and other graphics settings.  When I set the nVidia Control Panel for AA mode to be nVidia overrides application, the AA setting in SB still seems to control the AA setting.  I can see the change in jaggedness when I increase SB's AA and FPS drops as I would expect.  So is that working as designed?  Does the nVidia Control Panel not control graphics settings in SB?

So, here's the skinny:

The first "Anti Aliasing" slider controls the number of samples (2x, 4x, 8x, 16x,). Selecting a setting of "0" enables the second slider, called "Non-Maskable Anti-Aliasing (Advanced)". This is for users who have driver bugs and cannot use the first slider without issues/artifacts. This second slider ranges from 0 to 100%, and it does pretty much what the first one does, but using a different method. Additionally, users may theoretically (depending on the video driver) override the in-game AA settings with their control panel AA settings when both sliders are set to 0.

So, the official stance on this is:

- To set AA via Steal Beasts, use the in-game sliders, and set the video driver control panel setting to "Application controlled."

- To set AA via the video drivers, set both in-game sliders to 0, and use the driver control panel AA settings. (not guaranteed to work, though.)

- Anything else can, and often does, produce "undefined" behavior...

generally speaking, Nvidia drivers cannot override game settings, I guess because it has no way of knowing if the game is aplying some postprocessing. So in my experience (and I´m no expert by any means, just gamer for a long time) if you want Nvidia settings to be applied, let the game settings to 0, as Jam just said.

If not, Nvidia may not be able to override the game or, what is worse, it may fight game settings, duplicate them, etc... causing problems or unnecesary loss of performance.

2 minutes ago, thewood said:

Do any of the other driver control panel settings work or have any impact in SB?

I think yes. As I understand Nvidia will apply the setting to the image, no matter where it comes from. So you can effectively apply settings that the game does not have.

But, each game is different, and a certain setting may be more effective applied through game settings or through Nvidia settings. Example, Nvidia has certain AA technologies that games normally don´t offer, as they are Nvidia specific. They may or may not be better than the AA offered by the game.