Invisible Civilians [KNOWN, 4.0]

TSe419E

I'll upload it tonight

The issue is it isn't universal.

So for example I could see them (as a Host in one session and a Client in another), while other players in both sessions, couldn't.

Indeed when I was hosting and another person said they couldn't see them, I went to F8 of that player's vehicle and concurrently I could see them and he couldn't, even though we were both at F8 in the same vehicle (he was the owner, I was observing).

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

OK thanks, host/client issue it seems...

Yes, with a test scenario and basic instruction on where to look then we should hopefully be able to locate and fix the bug. Sometimes you can try a LAN test where you start two instances of SB, one host and one client, and see if you can see it that way.

5 minutes ago, Volcano said:

OK thanks, host/client issue it seems...

Yes, with a test scenario and basic instruction on where to look then we should hopefully be able to locate and fix the bug. Sometimes you can try a LAN test where you start two instances of SB, one host and one client, and see if you can see it that way.

The first time it happended we were testing it for the author, prior to a Kanium event. Host in Canberra, Client in Sydney (250km's of so)

The second thime it was hosted from somewhere in Scandinavia by Kanium and I was a Client still in Canberra (X,000 km) and could see them fine. Others in various other locations could not see them.

I'll contact the Author and obtain any password(s), just in case you need them.

• Moderators

And here is another question...

Were the civilians on a different side from what the user (who saw them invisible) was on? Example: was the user on Blue and the invisible civilians were on Green? Was there anyone on the same side that the civilian unit was on that also saw them as invisible?

2 hours ago, Volcano said:

OK thanks. And the invisible civilians were observed immediately (not something that happened later in the scenario), correct?

Well once they spawned ...

Some people saw them straight away.

Others never saw them at all (they remained invisible, didn't appear "later" to those who didn't see them initially).

As per the earlier post, I know of one instance where Player A was right beside them on the map (Player A could see the map icon, but saw nothing in the 3D World). At the same time several other players (B though say E) saw both the map icon and the people in the 3D world by selecting F8 on the unsighted player's unit (to the point where we [at least 3 players] had to tell the unsighted player to stop their vehicle so they didn't run the civilians over).

2 hours ago, Volcano said:

And here is another question...

Were the civilians on a different side from what the user (who saw them invisible) was on? Example: was the user on Blue and the invisible civilians were on Green? Was there anyone on the same side that the civilian unit was on that also saw them as invisible?

No, everyone was playing Blue (the same side as the civilians). They were all Blue as the force needed to extract them and as a result they needed to be Blue in order to load onto the Blue transport.

In play through 1, the unsighted player had a Cougar MRAP.

In play through 2, the unsighted player had a UH-60.

Green civilians were visible to all throughout in both sessions.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Moderators

Yes, to follow up here -- this does indeed seem to be a Network Session issue, so it will be a bit tricky to fix, but we are investigating it.  FWIW, it existed since v4.0 (and probably earlier), so its a known issue. 

If someone can produce a small network session test where it reliably happens with some clients then that would be helpful, otherwise its on the watch list.

Do you need a file (be it from the Host, a blind client or a client that could see?) from the "small network test"?

If so I may still have it on my machine as the Host of the 1st play through? I can contact the players who either could or couldn't "see" and get copies of the relevant file too (assuming it not something over written in each instance).

Alternatively, if its something we need to track / capture "live" just let me know and perhaps we can set something up.

• Moderators

Just a SCE file will do with basic instruction (with observation) of how to observe the bug. 

1. Network Session, one host, two clients, start scenario.

2. Go to unit A/1-1, observe. One client sees the civilians one another client sees them invisible.

(etc)

Preferably its a scenario that is as minimal as possible. Ideal would be a scenario that just has one civilian in it, or one group of civilians. One person as owner, while everyone else is observer to them. That might produce results. We look for clues, like HOST sees them, but CLIENTs do not. Or non-owning CLIENTs do not, but owning CLIENT does, etc.