TER cannot find HGT [RESOLVED]

Scrapper_511

Okay, I've downloaded the Suwalki .hgt and .ter files, and unzipped them into the height and terrain directories accessed from the "Maps Folder" start menu item. I then go into the map editor, and from the "Map Packages" dialog I choose "Open default map". From the "File" pull-down I choose "Map package from TER", I then see the directories I placed the new terrain files in and choose one of them, at which point I get this:

WhereIsSuwalkiHgt.thumb.png.b16612ec20e63dd6c6292aa7a4eb9ff9.png

If it matters, that's not the path I have the new .hgt files located.

I did not see this case in any of the stickies. Please advise. TIA.

I was able to create a package from the .hgt file and it now exists in the Map Packages menu, but of course it is a blank slate.

EDIT: Nevermind, I manually placed the .hgt file using the path shown in the pic and looks to be working now...

• Moderators

Ah yes, last week I went back and added some text about this to the forum post here:

...about half way down there is the red text that mentions this issue (about how the name cannot have special characters in it).

Its a little obscure and easy to miss, I admit - especially if anyone read the post before I added the info.  But basically, while these characters are OK for filenames, they are not OK to Windows for folder/directory names, which is what the map package name will become (a folder name within the packages folder).

I think changing the name should fix your problem. If not, then please post again.

27 minutes ago, Rotareneg said:

It's because it doesn't like the "!" in the title. Seen that with maps that had accented letters too.

Thanks Rotar’. I removed the special character after which I was allowed to proceed to the next step.

However, I still got the same message (see pic in OP) until I put the hgt file in the ter directory. 

13 minutes ago, Volcano said:

Ah yes, last week I went back and added some text about this to the forum post here:

...about half way down there is the red text that mentions this issue (about how the name cannot have special characters in it).

I think changing the name should fix your problem. If not, then please post again.

Hi Volcano, sorry I missed it. I removed the special character and the hgt file from the ter directory and got the same problem I stated originally. But after I put the hgt file back in I was allowed to proceed (appears to be Converting Heightmap as I type).

Edit: So in this case at least, I’m under the impression that SB (4.159) is looking for a hgt file in the ter directory, which unless moved there manually (the hgt file) will produce the problem I had originally. 

Edited by Scrapper_511

4 minutes ago, Volcano said:

No worries, sounds like you are good to go then. Seems like you installed the maps to a different folder, which is fine of course (as long as you remember where you put them). 😀

Yeah looks to be working...computer is still busy converting! 😆

I’m still concerned that SB was looking for an hgt in a ter directory though.

• Members

I suppose it could happen, depending on how the map was generated. If by an external tool, Steel Beasts has for quite a while supported subdirectories in the TER folder that would then contain both TER and HGT files (and model files, textures, ... - basically what we have now made official with the "map package" concept).