How to change Map Package name? [RESOLVED]

Scrapper_511

Is it possible to change the name of a package as it appears on the Map Package selection menu?

I’ve changed the folder name in the steel beasts/maps/packages directory but the old name remains in the Map Package selection menu. Also when I try to edit the name trying to save the map as a “new base package” I get a “ package already exists!” message.

Shall I just delete the package folder and start over (edit: it’s a recently downloaded map, I’ve done no work on it yet).

• Members

The map package's name is set in the "Map Description" which, once published, can no longer be altered. Renaming the folder doesn't help, the relevant information is stored in a file inside the map package which you can't directly edit in Steel Beasts. This is fully intentional since we really, really really need to make sure that clients connecting to a network session are all operating on the same data basis, or else bad Juju (a scientific expression) will come over the network session.

5 hours ago, Scrapper_511 said:

I've rebooted SB actually, and the old name remains. Have you been able to do it, Gibsonm?

2 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

The map package's name is set in the "Map Description" which, once published, can no longer be altered. Renaming the folder doesn't help, the relevant information is stored in a file inside the map package which you can't directly edit in Steel Beasts. This is fully intentional since we really, really really need to make sure that clients connecting to a network session are all operating on the same data basis, or else bad Juju(TM) will come over the network session.

That may explain it. I think the descriptions were different ("Beaudesert" vs "Beaudesert bumpy" [or similar]) so the fact that I could rename the enclosing folder didn't make any difference to the UID.

• Members

Nor should it. The map UID is like the DNA of a person, it must not be altered, ever. Changing the name in the passport (=the map description) is something that we may allow at a later point, but I may fail to see some of the problems that could come from such a name change (so I reserve the right to renege on this extremely vague and noncommittal non-promise).

The only workaround that comes to my mind would be to save the map package as a new delta map, change the map description accordingly, update your scenarios with the "replace map" function, and finally to delete the bad folder (the map with the wrong name).

• Members

Yes.

Hashing hundreds of gigabytes, potentially, was also a bit of a performance concern that we had to solve. Not only do you have to do it once, you also need to read map data to compare the hash value which could result in much fun when checking an entire folder tree structure, possibly on a network server.