Where are my beautiful particles? Reshade is the culprit. [RESOLVED]

Japo32

They have just disappeared. No explosions.. no dust smoke.. anything. I have 4.023 in conjuntion and I did some loadings this afternoon with it. Going to reinstall the last patch version to see if they are restored, because reset the computer didn't do anything.

Ok, reinstalling the 4.159 fixes the problem.. but maybe there is an issue if you have installed two copies with 4.023 also? I have sometimes with the issue of seeing the Alt+D options of map in the middle, when I have always at full.

I suspect you may have done something else along the way.

Certainly if you only need one copy then you shouldn't retain older ones, but I have multiple versions of both the classroom and commercial version and they happily co-exist.

You just need to ensure they are in different folders and you take some care when using them (hence no doubt the preference to only have one copy if that's all you need).

I have had the 2 copies some days already (since the first day) and didn't change anything bad. What I did today was to resize the window of Steelbeast to match it to a single monitor. I have 3, and maybe it could be one of the reasons, as it determinated that I changed something in the graphics resolution. Don't know. But for sure I didn't touch any file or whatever.

• Moderators

I am probably the extreme case: 

I have two copies of 4.1 installed (one for public, one for beta), and 4.019, 4.023, 3.002, 2.654 all installed, no issues here.

But certainly if a patch was not installed properly then one sign might be your particles not showing up anymore (its certainly a good indication).

• 2 weeks later...

Today I came back from little vacations. Didn't do anything on the computer. Continued with the china farm campaign, where I left it. No particles again.

Neither in the campaign or the shotkal shooting test fast mission. 

Had to re-install again the 5.159 patch to let them appear again. Have to be an issue anywhere... didn't load the previous 4.023.

Ok, I discovered some things:

When I reset the computer or turn it off, and return, just opening the SB4.159 version will remove all the particles again, and what I have to do is reinstall the patch 4.159 to put them back.

So what I did was to uninstall the 4.023 version and had to reinstall again all 4.1x from scratch (not the maps. Would be nice to have different uninstallers for 4.0 and 4.1).

Doing that the issue is not reproduced again, so the particles seems to be there always, even turning the computer off.

What I did to reproduce this?

1. When 4.1x came out, I uninstalled 4.023 version and installed 4.1x version

2. I need to have the old 4.023 to convert old scenaries, so I installed 4.023 AFTER I had 4.157 installed.

I suppose that install of 4.023 made some changes inside the files so everytime the computer was turned off, the particles disappeared completelly. It would be nice to fix this, as maybe we would like to have 4.023 installed after 4.159 to try old scenaries that we cannot play, but preserve the particles in 4.1X.

Thanks!

Edited by Japo32

Wasn't installed in the same folder. But I garantee you that the problem was there with both installations. Now that I have removed one of them not. 

As said, when I uninstalled SB4023 with the intranal file "uninstall" it removed some files from the SB4.159. All the armour vehicles to choose from the first option (shooting range) where disappear but two of them remained. And as said, I installed both simulators in different folders.

So there is something that 4.023 affected 4.159, and maybe you miss what. Maybe not, if you have prevously installed previous versions, but yes if you install those old ones after the new one, even in different folders.

• Members

Yes, common scenarios such as the tank range will be affected, which is why we generally recommend to uninstall older versions before using version 4.1. But particle and shader effects are not controlled by "common" resources, they rely on what's in the program files folder, and nothing else.

Again!!! I thought I fixed it, but not!!! They disappear again!! and it is driving me nuts!!! Help!!

I don't know what it could be.. but I reinstalled yesterday all from zero and I have same problem. Is there any log file I can send to you to let you checkout something?

I have to be everytime installing the 159 update patch to make them appear!! Is there any shader file or config file that affects the particles rendering that I could write-protect to not allow any change in them? What is clear is that after 159 it is fixed.. but lost after I quit or whatever....

Edited by Japo32

7 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

Again!!! I thought I fixed it, but not!!! They disappear again!! and it is driving me nuts!!! Help!!

I don't know what it could be.. but I reinstalled yesterday all from zero and I have same problem. Is there any log file I can send to you to let you checkout something?

I have to be everytime installing the 159 update patch to make them appear!! Is there any shader file or config file that affects the particles rendering that I could write-protect to not allow any change in them? What is clear is that after 159 it is fixed.. but lost after I quit or whatever....

So... You have both v.4.159 and v.4.023, installed in to different folders... And version 4.023 was installed after v.4.159, right?

Then my next question is,,  do you see  loss of particle effects in 'stock' scenarios delivered with SB Pro PE,  or this also happens in your custom scenarios?

THanks Jartsev for the suggestion. I think I have it more clear now.

Because everytime I re-installed the 159 patch it was fixed I installed it in a separate folder to have all the files of the 159 update and see which one was the culprit to restore the particles.

I was succeed in the first choose: Just copying the 159 SBProPE64cm.exe it fixed it. So I saw a possible real culprit.

Because noone had this issue I thought it was something I had installed in my computer and not esim fault: Reshade. So this was happening:

1. Everytime I quit SB159 and enter again, the particles was disappeared. If I copy the SFProPE64.exe file then they are restored

2. If (still I am not 100% sure) Reshade is modifying anykind of internal code, then it could affect the particle shader. So when I installed reshade, I copied a lot of shaders of it, which I didn't use. What I did was to remove them from the Reshade-shaders/shaders folder of reshade (is in the SB Pro PE/Relese folder) and leave the ReShade.fxh and ReshadeUI.fxh to let reshade work).

Now it seems everytime I quit it let the particles "live" But I am not 100% sure that one of those extra Reshade shaders is the culprit, as yesterday and quit several times after removing 4.023 and particles where still there. Maybe Reshade initial calculations when SB starts sometimes affects the particles, and others not. Will point to any change if I find it. But what is sure, is Reshade is a cheat way to let people "see" though battlesights. I never want to cheat, because I love inmersion and all difficulties possible, but I wanted to point my conclusions and findings here.

I could deativate Reshade, but trully is a game changer in terms of graphics.

Thanks.

Edited by Japo32

It is reshade. Still with the 4 shaders I had it affected. Just removing the reshade files, but not copying back the SBProPE64.exe file fixed the problem. A shame to loose reshade because it gives me more natural real lighting. Don't know why it affects the particles, but it does... at least to me.

2 hours ago, thewood said:

I'm sorry for asking, but...you had a third party graphics injector and you never thought that the injector might be the problem?  Common sense would have told me to check first.

If you use that injector in every game or sim you have for years, and you don't see anything bad on them. You see other members use the same injector in SB and they don't have the problem, "you" used in 4.023 without any issue,  then maybe you could think the problem is not the injector but maybe drivers or something you have intalled? Specially when this problem happens sometimes and others not. Even still I am not 100% sure is because the Reshade program.

But the solution for me is not use Reshade. As said, it is a game changer.. and I would like to know how to use it with SB. What I don't understand is why REshade would make particle system disappear completelly in SB while not produce any problem in other 3D engines. Will post in Reshade forums. Maybe they will give me a solution there.

Edited by Japo32

Still, basic troubleshooting would have been either to take the 5 seconds needed to remove reshade or, even more basic, tell the people trying to help you that you are using a 3rd party injector.   All the things people are suggesting and the effort put into helping you I hope thats the first thing you check next time.

TheWood... why do you suppose I realized I had installed Reshade in the game?. In fact I realized that I had it once I saw the exe file and saw the dx9.dll files. It was intalled at the begining and never had a problem with it until one day that the particles disappeared. Maybe the problem was in the 159 and not pervious versions, and I didn't remember I had it because I play not so much to SB, and also because it is normal for me, as said, to include in several games....

What you think is common sense, it is a mistake you make. You "didn't put my shoes" to know why I asked here. Even if I would apply your common sense, I would be not talking this boring conversation with you.... and I would have to spend lot of time searching for what it was a "very easy" at first point problem solution. Life is full of "easy" solutions that are paid very hard, by great people. Hope you don't make same "mistake" I made. Don't judge if you don't want to be judged. Don't want to talk anymore with you, please.

I am amazed of the level of intrusion of some poeple in this forum. Happened already several times in the wish future features post..... ANYWAY.....