Several questions from a newbie

Max Chee

it has been some years since i played combat mission- my point still stands (first of all, combat mission isn't actually an RTS, if they are still using the WEGO system where time is divided in chunks of 1-2 minute cycles between orders, you obviously have no comparison with steel beasts with that type of game design). if you think that you can import the same game mechanics into steel beasts, you might be either disappointed or delighted- whichever, but certainly you will know what i mean very quickly when you first try steel beasts

i have attached a screenshot from combat mission, notice how units are highlighted and shown to the player off in the distance, including the type of units. now compare to the steel beasts screenshots. in the steel beasts screen shots, the units are aware of one another, but there is no information given to the player which shows them to you like in combat mission. without thermal sights, at 1km, you would likely not know there is anything there at all, in particular if you happen to be moving, then it's nigh impossible to see a small object beyond a few hundred meters. now imagine those objects are accurate shots if there is a straight line of sight and the speeds projectiles are coming at you are in real time, not moments of abstract rts game time where decision cycles occur at a different pace than in steel beasts.

in the below shots m1a1 abrams versus bmp-1 and an atgm section with 1 km distance (the missile team is invisible for all practical purposes at that distance). you would never have made them out purely from an external, unaided view (no optical zoom, no thermals). . you would see the explosion and smoke, the speed of the shooting and hitting one another happens quite fast, you cannot convey  this with screenshots alone. if it happened like that in an rts game where by their nature players are given time to react and adjust tactics, it would feel frustrating, out of your control.

i think you will likely steel beasts- and one of the reasons why i recommend it is how deceptively simple the user interface for such a complex treatment of not only the simulation of vehicle controls, but the command aspects of all units under your control that like an rts game you issue orders to as well, but feel different from an rts game in the way it happens, and without being clunky; once you learn it, the action can be smooth for so much the player must manage and keep track of. if you like the management and control of several units, i do not mean to give the impression that doesn't happen in steel beasts; but you will see for yourself that the execution is different

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by Captain_Colossus

9 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

I think you make some valid points, but the OP asked a simple question, not for a thesis. Do feel free to over-analyze and complicate the discussion though, by all means !

now you're going to spread your wings and all this kind of thing, it's still passive aggressive though. hey, i made my point clear, and without your permission.

• Members
5 hours ago, Captain_Colossus said:

it has been some years since i played combat mission- my point still stands (first of all, combat mission isn't actually an RTS, if they are still using the WEGO system where time is divided in chunks of 1-2 minute cycles between orders, 

Except, that they don't.

• Ssnake locked this topic